1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Worthless Uncle Gift

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give him the shocker.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Don't offer them massages again.

jcf likes this.
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

My dad and his second wife each pulled the same nonsense with some UNICEF child's fund twenty years ago. Those mofos got some Stafford Unsubsidized massage chair backs, zirconium bezel tennis bracelets and china sets.

Nook and malakas like this.
  4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ask them to come over and do some "work" for you and say you will pay them well. When they have labored doing some nonsensical chore around your place for a few hours, thank them, give them a little lecture about the "value of hard work," and then hand them each a $5 dollar bill.

That happened to my cousin and I several decades ago. His grandfather, my great-uncle (now dead, and not missed), asked us to come over to help him with some "chores" and he'd pay us to do it. This guy owned a few million dollars worth of property along the Ship Channel (worth many millions more now). Needless to say, he was loaded. My cousin talked me into doing it with him, saying we'd make enough for a couple of cases of beer for the weekend. We were teenagers at the time. The "chores" amounted to sanding and painting a couple of ancient metal tackle boxes he would never use that belonged at Goodwill. When we were finished, he handed my cousin a $5 dollar bill for us to split. We were furious, bit our tongues, and after leaving, spent a solid hour cussing the b*stard, wishing him dead, and all sorts of other typical goofy things pissed off teenagers might say.

malakas likes this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

I know you're trying to be cute here, fatso...

Here's the deal. I've always given kids gifts that I thought they would like. As I mentioned, my uncle, who was a good guy, didn't give a ****. Neither did my Grandmother. Some folks just give people a stipend and let someone else do it.

I've always tried to give something that matters. As to your point on "worthless gifts?" The kids want for nothing; it is more fun to give them a gift that my brother and I can laugh at. (only the teen kids; the younguns still get a fun gift.)

malakas likes this.
  7. Roscoe Arbuckle

I've asked for "Living Water" gifts, personally, but that isn't a good gift for a kid.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

My brother teaches his son's this all of the time, and is allowing them to choose any field they want to. But, yeah, dude. They work for free...

and how much was $5 worth in the 60's? I work in finance, hippy.

That would equate to $42 in 1962 money. Was still $35 in 1969 money.

But yeah. Keep b****ing. Always solves sooo much.

#28 Roscoe Arbuckle, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  9. Roscoe Arbuckle

I did pass this along for review.

Rashmon likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

One doesn’t even need to work in finance to know that.....

http://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1962?amount=5

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You win the prize, Fatty. The prize for prime *******. Why I ever reply to your posts is a mystery to me, one I need to solve. In my post, I said we were hoping for $5 dollars each. We got $5 between us. We hoped to buy a couple of cases of beer with it. A case of beer was about $7 bucks. You can convert your "inflation" bullshit all you like, but I was there. Two cases was well over $10, unless you wanted to drink piss. Grow up, dude. It would serve you well.

CrazyJoeDavola and RudyTBag like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Frame a large photo of your self.

jcf likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

14. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

Oof. Classic FFB.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

The first ever gift my wife (girlfriend at the time) gave me was “adopt a goat” in Africa that she named Sarah Jessica Parker.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Link? This sounds perfect.

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

This. I rarely sing these days, but this is why I still do.

#37 Roscoe Arbuckle, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  18. fattz

fattz Member

Gift cards to mom and pop places a couple towns over from where they live with a story of how it could change there life, Monogrammed pocket squares —> appearance is everything. Sock guarders —> they are growing up and most successful men ware them. Coupons to an amusement park —> you did your part and now they need to save their money then you will take them. Random calendars with a “talk” about multi tasking , Seeds to a flower garden —> enjoyment of the small things in life, Six pack of diet soda in bottles —> need to take care of self. Beverage napkins from places you have been —> make yourself a superhero. Landscape rocks and a wild made-up story as to why they are so important to the family, Family crest with a 3 hour “talk” about family.

The talk is the best part if you can get your brother to back you and add—> memories should happen.

have fun —> make sure they kids are in awe or it want work.

19. body slam

body slam Member

My nephew is in his teens and he wants cash or gift cards. So for the last 3 years for Christmas I given him one of these

[​IMG]

With a gift card or cash attached to it.

20. Buck Turgidson

Heifer Intl? That's a great organization.