1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China banning the NBA - Who cares thread?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Actually, it was the Greek freedom fighter, @malakas.

malakas likes this.
  2. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Go for broke and start talking about Taiwan next! LOL

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

go rockets

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Introduce a legislative bill to recognize Taiwan as the representative of China like the pre-Nixon days? That would be genius level trolling that our greedy politicians all lack the social finesse for.

5. smp

smp Member

What’s so funny is China is completely validating the complaints by the protestors in HK. The whole world can see how they react to an American tweet. Imagine what they do to a citizen who disagrees with any CCP position.

They should have shown some restraint. Instead they acted like brutal dictators.

malakas and HP3 like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

they got morey to delete the tweet and preempted any further tweets from NBA officials/players (and likely the other major US sports). controlling content is how they maintain their totalitarian power there

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with Matt stone and Trey Parker! F''k them!
    I am no longer using goods from China! It's on now! Go Morey! GO ROCKETS!

malakas likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Salary cap ramifications will be interesting

9. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Eric Cartman said this tonight on South Park?

10. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Have a good will games between the country of TAiwan and Hong Kong, sponsed by the nba

11. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

What’s really hilarious is that you think the CCP demanded anything from the NBA.

China has not demanded anything from the NBA.

It simply stopped doing business with the NBA, which it’s free to do.

Would you still do business with someone if they crossed your bottom line? Called you a n**er if you were black? Probably not.

All China’s done is distance themselves from the NBA and they’re free to do that.

as far as money goes, isn’t that the whole point of capitalism? It isn’t China’s fault that NBA wants to make billions from them and can’t anymore. And nobody is ASKING the NBA to “bow down to the money.” They don’t have to. But if they do it’s their choice, again China didn’t ask for it. It’s Just basic capitalism, yet when it comes to China everyone choose to have memory losses.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

More hilarious that Chinese folx think we care that a bunch of NBA billionaire owners now are having a sad because their kids are going to have to share the helipad on the super yacht this summer without that Tencent cash.

Do. Not. Care. In fact i think it's a bonus.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol it's even more naive and childish for you to think these foregone millions are going to trickle down to your Peel & Eat shrimp at Landrys or were going to finance a stretch 4 or something.

It's par for the course though that Feigen is out preaching like we should care about $10-25 million out of a multibillionaires pocket because that's how he earns his livelihood. But for reference, Tillman spent probably ~ $100 million buying Del Friscos steakhouse chain just last week and yet nobody pleaded poverty or started worrying about the luxury tax.

If Tillman wanted to spend money on the Rockets he could. Of he wanted to lower ticket prices he could. But he won't. Because he's in this the same reason James Dolan is. It's a golden goose even if you are inept and do nothing

NBA china money does not affect you or me in the least tiny little bit. You don't get any of it. I don't get any of it. It just lines owners pockets. Owners who have soent their whole lives extracting money from yours in various ways.

Do not care so hard.

DaDakota and tinman like this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Should I eat at Del Frisco’s to help my team?

I couldn’t read any of the ads that supported the rockets when Les was around or that Tencent game wasn’t available for my region

15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The problem is when an entity is so selfish they don't comprehend their oppressive behavior...

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Mainland Chinese fans should care their government took away their right to choose to watch or not watch.

Punishes them more than the NBA.

malakas likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You sure? Morey deleted that tweet faster than he could run for his life, so I would think Tilman or someone got to him first.

So indirectly is likely what you meant.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

With you DD.

tinman likes this.
  19. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

You’ve got it backwards.

You and everyone else in the west think that the government got mad first.

No, the people did first, people are mad and then the government reacted, cuz it wants to make its people happy.

20. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Well, i am from china and i agree, this is probably overreaction from the government, but it also shows Chinese people's love for the rockets, we treat u guys as family. that's probably why they reacted so strongly against just a mere tweet from DM, because if it is from somebody we don't care, then nothing would have happened, the rockets gets so much exposure in china, it's just like another city in china

just to give u guys some perspective, the second world war, the Japanese/british invasion is all what we learn in our history books, and for china to get rid of all the colonies and unite itself, lots of people lost their lives, lost their people, wifes, husbands, parents and grandparents, that's why if any one tries anything to separate any part of china from itself now, people usually have a strong reaction. Now if u lost your family, say grandparents or parents for sth, and your son says he supports that sth and whoever lost their life deserve to die, what would u react

i am not mad at DM because i don't think he understands what he is tweeting or supporting, but u guys also need to

Icepiano likes this.