1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now the Entire NBA is Banned

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ChillyPete32, Oct 8, 2019.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He's a coward who stands for nothing so he said nothing.

Plowman and Jontro like this.
  2. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Splitting makes the price reasonable. With work and kids, I simply don't have the time to watch games anymore. Haven't watched the horrid knicks in a decade and mainly watch my adopted teams of Houston and golden state. Since these two teams are like always on national tv, league pass is pointless.

The reddit thread for nba games are solid. I get a game going easily with very high quality. Ad blockers do wonders on the pop up ads and crap. If I paid $200+, I would had forced myself to watch games to get the money's worth.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I know I do.

Yung-T likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. like he's an expert on everything else

malakas likes this.
  5. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

This is VERY Destructive for the NBA. They will be loosing MILLIONS!!! why do you think these players these days are getting paid so much? All because of the market in China. Morey pulled a JR. Foolish! and because lebron james has been vocal and verbal about rights and stuff and talking about trump, the NBA has NO CHOICE but to BACK UP morey or the NBA will look hypocritical. Morey is gone by the end of the year.

[​IMG]

6. Classic

Classic Member

I hope we whoop China's ass in the 2020 Olympics

Jontro likes this.
  7. Cranberry_Juice

Can we have a video of someone putting tape over the ridiculous chinese jerseys the Rockets have been forced to use to appease our Panda overlord.

On a serious note, would it be going overboard if we take down Yao's jersey?

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’d be disappointed if the Rockets did this. It’s like a child doing it just because another did.

Jayzers_100, malakas and MorningZippo like this.
  9. Theking

Theking Member

Sorry for what? Your a clown

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol what? Since when has being uninformed stopped him from spewing complete bullshit?

malakas likes this.
  11. SunsRocketsfan

At basketball game at definitely a given. Most countries will whoop their ass at basketball

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To turn away money and stand for something. That's wild in this day and age. Much respect. Biggest losers right now - Fertitta and the fans in China that just want to watch hoops.

Jayzers_100 and malakas like this.
  13. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

If you and your son enjoy the NBA, absolutely, league pass is worth it. At the end of the day, $199 for a year of games is not that much. I only have time to watch certain marquee match ups and those games are usually nationally televised
    If you and your son watch alot of NBA then league pass is absolutely worth it. For a guy like me who watches 20-30 games a year, not so much. I had the same dilemma with cable tv. Paid $200 a month for years and nobody watched. I cut the cord 2 years ago and I don't miss tv one bit. Amazing the good old rabbit ears antenna still works. You can find just about any sports stream if you look hard enough for free and save tons of money. But getting back to point, nba league pass feels like the old days of mp3. Why pay $15 for album when you can get it free and easily? Lower the price like they did with itunes and there will be less pirates.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

After thinking about this a bit more, I'm hearing a theory that continues to make more and more sense:

-For those of you who aren't familiar with it, right now the president is engaged in a major trade war with China. Both countries have engaged in a tit for tat with Tariffs (taxes) that are the primary cause for the US economy preparing for a recession. But there's also evidence that the trade war is also hurting China as well somewhat.

The NBA represents billions of dollars that impact many of Trump's major billionaire donors among many other business interests (owners like James Dolan are known Trump donors among others) The Chinese also aren't stupid. They sat back and watched the Kapernick kneeling controversy, and they saw how Trump had to be right in the middle of the controversy. Xi knows that Trump will eventually insert himself into this controversy & will push half of the country one way or another.

So was Morey's tweet really that much of a catalyst or were the Chinese opportunistic to see a way to both leverage billions to use potentially in a trade deal (we'll allow the NBA back in China, if you give us X,Y, and Z in a trade deal), and create a social hot button issue that can create a globally divisive issue for political leaders on both sides to capitalize on??

Just food for thought, and won't be surprised the least bit if we hear ALOT about the NBA as the president tries to get a trade deal done with Xi to help him in 2020. There's a good reason to believe that President Xi saw this as an issue he could grab hold of, and use to hold billions more hostage in order to get the trade deal he wants from Trump.

malakas likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I get the theory but China wanted Americans to be anti Trump. This debacle only emboldens American nationalism and gives Trump more cover to not back down to China even more.

Jayzers_100 and B-Bob like this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don't think the Chinese want Americans to be anti-Trump at all. Like Russia, I think China sees Trump as a destabilizing force in the West, and with NATO.... which he is. They are going to look out for themselves first and foremost. So far theres no indication they are helping Trump like Russia is in election meddling, but I certainly don't think they are wanting to interfere to hurt Trump. I think they see him as a sucker they can get an amazing trade deal that blows what they were going to get with TPP.

I think their relationship with Trump is far more complicated & self interested than it is with Russia.

17. malakas

malakas Member

What I know is that is interesting how different the reaction is between this and what happened in europe in football games. The fans of Lyon dressed a whole side of the stadium in the colours of Tibet to protest that they had to change the time of their games to accomodate China and in germany people came waving Tibetan flags.

But you didn't see China ban completely UEFA. They just withdrew from the individual instances.

And supposedly I kept hearing here from chinese fans that "football is really our number 1 sport, we don't care as much for basketball".

foh likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wrong. The TV deals from the US were the catalyst for the spike in the salary cap.

malakas likes this.
  19. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

What is it exactly the Chinese want? Morey has apologized. The league has apologized. For some reason, even Harden apologized. The Chinese have “banned everything Rockets”, canceled NBA events, blocked broadcasts, painted over NBA artwork and advertising. Its almost as if it doesn’t matter what the Rockets, or the league does at this point, the Chinese have decided that it won’t be enough.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think NBA has a thing where you can buy individual games and where you can buy just the 4th quarter of individual games - though it's nowhere near as good a deal.

But ultimately, the alternative you are describing is theft and illegal. I personally never got the rationale, and certainly still don't. "We can't afford it. Lower the price and we'll stop stealing it!!" sounds like a SNL skit.

It's the NBA's product, they can charge what they want. You are yourself, you can steal it if you want. You're still stealing. It would still make you a thief. I guarantee you that if you had a garage sale (lol, I know those don't happen anymore, but stick with me), and someone came and walked off with some product you'd be pissed and the idea that they only took it because you overpriced it would be ludicrous.