1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It just got bigger, China's state media CCTV announced temporary ban on NBA games broadcasting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bob718, Oct 8, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Tilman's wallet be like

[​IMG]

2. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

I hope more people speak out against China .. this is funny.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

I guess even if the NBA eventually kowtows to China, and salvage what’s left, it should really start looking elsewhere. India etc. like other US based multinationals.

4. mig0s

mig0s Member

Yup there is no way Morey gets fired lol. If he did, he'll sue the NBA for breaching the first amendment. Imagine that

5. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

According to the GDP ranking, Japan would be next but they are nothing close to China.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Based on what I remember from Hunger Games, Morey will be fine.

7. WestendMassive

This whole saga is the most amazing overreaction.

Instead of concentrating on the massive problem they have in Hong Kong, the Chinese government instead is making new problems for itself by acting like a giant b****. If they didn't say anything about Morey's tweet, then nobody outside of his Twitter followers would have cared.

But no, China has to defend its honour (LOL at the concept of the human rights violaters and dog torturers having any) and exacerbate an international incident. That's not how you win respect China, but go for it, continue to make a giant dick of yourself.

8. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Domestic pressure has been building. Politicians from both parties condemning the NBA. So too are national news organisations like WSJ, NYT, Vox, Rolling Stone...any more I'm missing?

Also The Ringer went in HARD in their latest piece by Brian Phillips.

9. jayfree

jayfree Member

#29 jayfree, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  10. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

Yeah, you will never get to the level of revenue that China brings by itself, but you got to diversify and hedge. Stay barren for a couple years and hope that you survive.

Of course this assumes it gets to that point, which I do doubt.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Although Morey should have known better, I find it hard to see how the NBA would look at this and decide that bending the knee is worth it long term. They have to see it's a dangerous game ceding this kind of power to a foreign market.

I also wonder how much the trade war and rhetoric around it are putting them on edge.

As poor a decision as it was on Morey's part, I do understand where they're coming from but this is a very clear over reaction at this point.

Do they really think that a Morey tweet is enough to cause significant dissent towards their goals on Hong Kong?

Is the NBA really popular enough to do that?

snowconeman22 and HP3 like this.
  12. Aware

Aware Member

lol everyone must hate daryl.
    **** your shoe deals, broadcast deals, advertisements, and **** the nets.

morey da goat.

13. jayland

jayland Member

bacliff, HP3 and malakas like this.
  14. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I guess the tweet is mightier than the sword.

What a crazy overreaction...the Chinese fans, and there are many, stand to lose a lot just because some feelings got hurt. I'd say although there are many that are upset about Morey, just as many care little for politics like the average global fan.

I always try to post calmly but this is too much. What the f*ck?

Edit: This would be funny if it wasn't happening to the league I enjoy the most. Maybe in a few years we can look back and chuckle at the ridiculousness of the whole situation. What a mess

#34 Roomba, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  15. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Fuq a China.

bacliff likes this.
  16. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

Honestly, with how China has treated individuals and entities ranging from Korean and Taiwanese pop stars to multinationals such as Marriott, this comes as no surprise at all.

Roomba, HP3, chimera34 and 2 others like this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

As much influence as China has, this was unquestionably gonna happen eventually. If Morey didn't do it, somebody was gonna slip up at some point. All considered this was just one quickly deleted tweet that few would have cared about and they flipped.

If the NBA fully bends over it will set a terrifying precedent for China's influence on our freedom of speech. Their hands are everywhere now, why stop with this.

This isn't about anything happening in China anymore.

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

The only time I want to see a Trump tweet, he's f&king incognito. Of course I don't expect him to respond at all considering how the NBA and Trump treated each other.

19. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

USA vs China in the olympics is going to be a barn burner

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

People are showing support for Morey's right to free speech, but man, I bet they absolutely hate him behind the scenes. Nobody is messing with the Rockets now. Get used to this preseason team.. Morey had trouble making deals BEFORE the controversy, now he is really messing with the money.

snowconeman22, 13BeardsIN1 and HP3 like this.