1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypothetical - ALDS -Pitching

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mkahanek, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It will be very interesting indeed to see what kind of mark Alvarez makes in the post-season. I'm picturing the extremes. He's either really going to be impactful on offense...or he won't be at all. I just don't see an in-between or moderate impact. I hope he makes an impact but he's looked pretty lost lately at the plate.

Oops...a pitching thread. Yea...can't trust Miley at this point. One of the strangest scenarios I've seen play out. So effective for such a big part of the season and then falls off the face of the Earth.

2. Major

Major Member

?

He has a 0.340 BA and 1.100 OPS in September...

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...I’m looking at 1 for his last 14 with 9 strikeouts. That’s not characteristic of his overall performance but a little concerning nonetheless. It’s the worst he’s looked since he’s been up. Hopefully, it’s nothing.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

If you need to be concerned about anybody, Brantley and Yuli are the guys.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I will be there Friday and Saturday. Any regular here first beer on me

mikol13 and desihooper like this.
  6. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Those two and Alvarez. Can’t ignore the fact that Alvarez is only 22 and this will be his first BIG stage. He could savor it and tear the cover off the ball or shrink under the lights. We will just have to wait and see. BUT I do expect him to be better than White, Gattis and Beltran. So there is that. I just hope Correas Pap smear comes back ok and he is ready to make this lineup murderers row part two instead of just manslaughter row.

RustyHarden and everyday eddie like this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

nacho bidness and RustyHarden like this.
  8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Pitching staff for a 5-game series:
    1) Verlander; 2) Cole: 3) Greinke 4; Juanito Allstaff; 5) Verlander + Cole

GOOD DAY

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Thank you, please have my chilled Pacifico holstered in a koozie and I will pick it up in the Diamond Club with no words exchanged immediately prior to the ceremonial first pitch.

GOOD DAY

King1 likes this.
  10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Hoping this off period helps out Brantley and Yuli as older position players tend to fatigue towards the end of the season.

Brantley specifically I have been worried about for a while. Hasn't been driving the ball nearly at all the last six weeks or so, a ton of weak contact.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Five young stars ready to take over October

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27714507/five-young-stars-ready-take-october

Yordan Alvarez: Not just a power hitter

How Yordan could dominate this postseason

It's important to understand that Alvarez isn't just some flash-in-the-pan power guy who put together a good run; it's important not to categorize him as another one of these lumbering, all-or-nothing left-handed sluggers who swing wildly and try to pull everything. Alvarez matches elite power with uncommon plate discipline. And at 22, he accomplished what few ever have -- the Cuban slugger will finish his rookie season with a weighted runs created plus of 178, a mark topped only by these five players at that age or younger: Ted Williams, Bryce Harper, Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson and Stan Musial.

Alvarez managed a .313/.412/.655 slash line and 27 home runs in just over half the games. His .342 isolated power was topped only by Mitch Garver (.357) and Mike Trout (.353). But Alvarez's chase rate and swinging strike rate were better than the major league average. And before getting called up in early June, he amassed more doubles and homers to the opposite field than he did to his pull side, according to FanGraphs data.

Astros manager A.J. Hinch raves about every aspect of Alvarez's approach.

"There's no panic," Hinch said. "He's not jumpy, he's not overly concerned if he falls behind; when he gets ahead, he hunts pitches -- he's very smart with what he looks for and when he looks for it. His stride is under control, his bat speed is really good, he's got tremendous leverage in his swing, given his size and strength, and he knows where the barrel is."

Alvarez experienced the inevitable struggles toward the end of August, going 8-for-40 over a stretch of 12 games. But he quickly recovered, finishing the 2019 regular season with a .296/.394/.605 slash line in the month of September.

Alvarez learned to hit from his father, Agustin, who played in the Cuban National Series. Patience at the plate was preached to Alvarez at an early age. When he reached professional baseball in the United States, pitchers consistently threw him away, and Alvarez learned to let pitches travel and drive them to left field rather than be overanxious and try to pull them to right. All the ingredients were there for sustained success, no matter what adjustments were made against him.

"I just had to stay strong mentally," Alvarez, speaking in Spanish, said of encountering his first struggles in the major leagues. "I had to remain confident. Sometimes, stuff like that will test your confidence, and that's how the slumps prolong."

Shades of Octobers past: Ryan Howard

In 2005, there was a fierce left-handed power hitter who burst onto the scene and was named Rookie of the Year despite not accumulating a considerable amount of at-bats and not providing much of any defensive value. His name was Ryan Howard, and he clubbed 22 home runs while playing 84 subpar games at first base for the Philadelphia Phillies.

Howard, who struck out 67 more times than he walked that season, didn't quite display the plate discipline Alvarez seems to possess. But Howard did have some dominant postseason runs, with a .933 OPS in back-to-back trips to the World Series in 2008 and 2009. -- Alden Gonzalez

12. Major

Major Member

So this is becoming a realistic scenario/question now. I'd go with Verlander on short rest in Game #4 and Cole on normal rest in Game #5, if needed. It gives you the best chance of winning this series, doesn't hurt your chances in either game, and doesn't impact the next series. Verlander would be available on normal rest for games 2 & 6 of the ALCS. Cole would be available game 1 & 5, or 3 & 7. So regardless of order, you still get 6 games out of your big 3.

It would be different if you were downgrading chances in Game #5 to win Game #4, but I think the Verlander/Cole combo in game 4 and 5 is better than Uriduiqy/Verlander, given that you'd just be wasting Cole in the latter scenario (at best, he'd pitch a couple of innings out of the bullpen).

13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

This is the clear best option IMO. I think you pitch Verlander tomorrow and hope we blow it open before the 5th but worst case we have Cole waiting for game 5 like you said...

Edit: I also think it may be worth considering pitching Cole in game 3 regardless...I'm worried Greinke will get rocked in NY.

Houstunna likes this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’d go Verlander tomorrow.

Htown Stros likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is the scenario Ive always felt good with and posted early in the series thread. Verlander is a must for game 4 to try to close out. I want to avoid the possible game 5

Htown Stros likes this.
  16. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Didn’t he only throw 99 pitches Friday too?

Edit: Decided to not be lazy and went and checked myself...he threw 100 on the dot. He’s ready to go.

17. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

You and Hinch are on the same page

18. Jeremy Williams

delete

#58 Jeremy Williams, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  19. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

4 days rest is normal, not short (every 5th day = 4 days rest)

20. Jeremy Williams

I stand corrected. :)