1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

People in Mainland China ... We good now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sheb, Oct 7, 2019.

1. ktex

ktex Member

This is amazing to me, these Chinese citizens who are basically held prisoner, are upset by DM's comments?

Nook, Fansince80, smp and 2 others like this.
  2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

People need to realize that yes we have freedom speech, but with that freedom comes consequences. You better educate yourself first before exerting that freedom or risk being cancelled!

3. bmd

bmd Member

You only have as much freedom as your government allows you to have. They give you just enough for the illusion of freedom. That’s not freedom. It’s tyranny with a happy face.

Yung-T, HP3 and Fansince80 like this.
  4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If freedom isn’t a real issue, maybe you should move to China too. They do a great job of ignoring the issue that is freedom after all.

Fansince80 likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The consequences shouldn't be a foreign autocratic regime dictating what we should be doing.

BigggReddd and eliefor3 like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

At least i won't get disappeared and have my Kidneys stolen.

izeroi and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Both countries have issues that need correcting, it's a shame that this has spilled into Sports because of tweet by DMorey not thinking properly and expressing his freedom of speech without understanding the impact on his bosses boss NBA business... As they say in the movies this a Bizness!

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I wonder why...

Yung-T and Fansince80 like this.
  9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Trust there is similar or worst happening in the US, like for example. A white female police officer walks into black man's apartment who is eating ice cream on the couch and murders him saying she feared for her life and gets 10 years and hugs by the Judge and Brother. GOH!!

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I agree. Brainwashing is brainwashing. It's never good. Because once you're brainwashed, the gentle manipulation begins and it can take a person way too far from where they started. The Chinese government has done a great job of feeding so many people, giving them good work and a promising living, but economic improvement leads to a desire for more. One day they'll learn that they cannot possibly give the people of China all that they want, so they must free them to go get it on their own. That freedom is a voice that's heard by the rulers and access to information. Why is that too much?

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

As somebody who agrees with Morey on the substance of this issue, I'm glad we have Chinese fans on this site who are willing to engage in a dialogue about the arguments on the other side, and about how people in China navigate a system that I personally wouldn't be able to tolerate.

I wish Morey hadn't sent that tweet, mostly because it accomplished nothing, and it started a fight he didn't expect and couldn't finish. It's exactly the kind of gesture that smart people avoid. You can be smart about basketball and not so smart about international politics.

What I take from the criticisms I've heard so far, particularly Joe Tsai's, is that in Hong Kong the question of democracy is interwoven with China's conception of its national sovereignty. I can see how my country would react in a similar situation. We would totally fixate on our sovereignty.

I believe in freedom. I want freedom for the people of Hong Kong and for the people of mainland China. But I don't see any evidence that this tweet advanced the cause.

ilias, Cokebabies, dlite316 and 11 others like this.
  12. idshiy

idshiy Member

from my understanding, the whole country has been pissed about HK issue for three month but cannot do anything about it because of the one country two system thing, China has to let HK gov handle the issue. thanks to US founding, some ppl gets paid to go to the protest and this **** is out of control. then DM posted a comment at this time, which gave us a place to release our anger. the whole media gets mad about this. I say its bad timing and stupid comment. If DM knows the whole story about HK issue, he would not post a comment like that.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think this goes far beyond just HK right now. I think this incident is a representation of the last South Park episode where Chinese autocracy will be spread over its own borders into Western democracies because of the desires to increase profit margins by capitalists in Western Democracies. Look how easily we cater to them over a critical tweet by a NBA GM just expressing his own opinion.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Please **** off. DM is worth more than these sheep Chinese "fans"

15. Fansince80

Fansince80 Member

Chinese giving a negative opinion on a US site about Darryl Morey for giving his opinion on a US site about China, while back home the Chinese can't even can't even step out of the bus line without getting whacked has to be one of THE most hypocritical things I have ever seen in my entire life.

Morey is right. People should have the right to choose their destiny. Don't like it because Rockets' news and games get sensored? Take it up with your oppressive, archaic, and very corrupt government for not allowing yoh guys to live with dignity, not with Darryl Morey.

16. smp

smp Member

He can have an opinion, as long as it’s the same opinion as the Chinese Govt. Haha

Fansince80 likes this.
  17. idshiy

idshiy Member

well I didn't read Tsai's post and he is Taiwanese which has their issue with us(mainland). as a mainlander, I see hk has been always has freedom. they totally can decide what to do or not to do by themselves, but as a part of China, of course Chinese gov will for sure have some influence over their decision. also HK gov don't have to pay tax to Chinese gov and we alway consider HK ppl as our reunion family member. they alway get help while they need. I don't know what level of freedom do they want, but I'm sure they basically can do and say anything they want. the extradition is meanly for us to catch the corrupt ppl or economic criminals, if you don't break the law, there is nothing to worry about. and this extradition law has been withdrawn last month and it still doesn't stop the protest

18. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

if you only have one of CNN/Fox News in your country this is what happens.

dlite316, BaselineFade and GotGame15 like this.
  19. idshiy

idshiy Member

every country has their issues, for sure u guys have "more" freedom including freedom to have guns. I don't know if too much freedom is a good thing. btw, most ppl here in china live good life, and enjoy themselves. its all about balance I guess.

dlite316 likes this.
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Here’s the thing. The Chinese and American systems are just different. We are both somewhat blinded by our own national propaganda, and we are both told from birth that our side is the right one. There’s probably a little truth to that too. We generally love what we know, and distrust what we don’t. There are things about China that I do not like and will never accept, and that’s okay, but having said that, I know better than to involve myself into their politics. Morey should have known better.

dlite316 and macan like this.