1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] The Joker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Sep 21, 2018.

1. runamok

runamok Member

Watched it last night, went in thinking I will not like it as already new the format, and I loved it. I felt it was more a work of Art then any popcorn comic flick or typical movie. Excellent portrayal- you can see the mental distress he was in and how he went towards a path- some things I didn't see coming- wtf moments. Pheonix was brilliant, I really felt Ledger's joker was going to be untouchable, however this is right up there - Ledger is better at some areas, and Pheonix is better in others. Great support from the score and cinematography. I really wish this will be in the continuing universe of DC- i really don't understand why not, as they have truly established a sound connection to this character and potentially develop much more from this. I don't understand why they can't make all there movies in this quality range.

- Just to add, there were several moments where some loud sound was accidentally made (someone walking or the door) and the whole theater looked anxiously around. Even next to me there was a lone creepy dude reaching into his pocket making sounds- and I was relieved he pulled out a box of chocolate Whoppers rattling....what a country we live in today lol

jo mama, Deckard, gatsby and 4 others like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just because of schedule I rarely see movies in theaters anymore. I really want to see this movie but will probably see it when it comes out streaming. It almost sounds like though the anxiety around the movie might actually add to the experience of seeing it in a theater.

Nook likes this.
  3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Jeez this move. What a mindfu[k. Loved it but felt very uneasy afterwards

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Had stomach virus Wednesday and was just feeling better Saturday. Went to movie tavern and did puke up the pizza after. Not sure if it was the movie making me feel eh or still the bug.

Great film IMO. Thought there was some homage to Requiem for a Dream a bit in there. Very dark.

Nook and mikol13 like this.
  5. body slam

body slam Member

DC needs to keep the villain theme going.

vlaurelio and Silent_Bob like this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Let's be clear: this is nothing new. "Basketball Diaries" started this glorification of mindless violence. The kids at Columbine said this. Combine that with the media fame those kids got and it has been a landslide since. Hollywood should be held accountable. The media should be held accountable. They won't be. I'm honestly scared for our country if Texas turns blue. Liberals will be able to pass everything, and **** will ensue.

7. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

My only issue is, this Joker doesn’t seem smart enough to be Batman’s arch nemesis?

ths balla, mikol13 and xaos like this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought it was quite good overall, as a realistic Joker origin story (if one needs to be told). I feel like some critics are bending over backwards looking for reasons to dislike the movie. The idea that this is somehow supporting alt-right, incel culture — which I’ve been reading a lot — is just ludicrous.

Nook and Silent_Bob like this.
  9. durvasa

Keep in mind that through most of the movie, he is drugged up on meds. Still, it’s hard to imagine him as a criminal mastermind.

10. durvasa

For fans of Heath Ledger’s portrayal, I thought this was pretty cool:

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Saw it this weekend. It's solid but not great, I mean it's incredibly derivative of Martin Scorsese's early work like Mean Streets and Taxi Driver (which is indirectly referenced a handful of times). I'd even throw in a splash of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Joaquin Phoenix is pretty great in this movie though, he's pretty much the life blood of the movie and makes it better than it should be.

I thought it was a solid B-

B-Bob, mikol13 and daywalker02 like this.
  12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

had no idea what to expect with this (I typically have no interest in superhero or anti-hero films) but I ended up LOVING it. shining a light on how brutal capitalism can be for the poor and mentally ill. joaquin really channeled heath there too.

mikol13 likes this.
  13. MystikArkitect

Finally saw it...

Whoo boy where to start. I can see why some people would be upset at this movie....in the same vein of why people were upset when Ned died in GoT. You're just not prepared for what you're going to get. The train scene, the scene where hes in her apartment, and obviously the one where the guys visit him...they were gripping. The backlash to the movie is extremely unwarranted and I feel like its driven from somewhere. I'm just not sure how you can give this movie a bad review. Joaquin was ridiculous in this role.

14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I don't think that was the message they were trying to get across...

Nook, GRENDEL and Silent_Bob like this.
  15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I found it very predictable. In fact most people had probably guessed the jist of the movie (taci driver, king of comedy, etc..). Also Joaquin phoenix has played this type of character many times. He was good, but it wasn't anything I havent seem him do before.

My complaints

the robert deniro character was horribly written. His responses in the climatic scene to realizing he was talking to an unrepenting murder were not understandable. That whole scene seemed off because of it.

As others have said the jokers motivations were simple and uninteresting. He just killed those who were mean to him. If you are going to give joker a new motive from the comics then make it interesting.

The female lead being a delusion was obvious. Her responses to his actions made no sense.

17. MystikArkitect

I dont see how her being a delusion was obvious unless you read about it beforehand. I like how he put in her and Thomas being the father as troll devices. Might've been a subtle dig at more derivative hero movies that use outlandish plot devices to move the story forward.

I have not seen Taxi Driver or King of Comedy but will watch both after. Phoenix was spectacular. The pain on his face as he couldn't stop laughing was heartwrenching. Not an easy rewatch for sure but I really needed this in response to all the nonsense that's gone on in comic book movies since Nolan's Batman films. Also thank God for a non post credits scene. No goofy tie ins, no cheesy cliff hangers. Just the movie.

RKREBORN likes this.
  18. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

My take

Joker's has no origin in comic book. Always a cloud of mystery. He was daydreaming the whole event from the beginning til the end. When the lady in the asylum ask him what's so funny. He said you wouldn't get it.

heypartner and Silent_Bob like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was brought up going to the movies at least twice a week. My father was a movie junkie. We would go the the local Santa Rosa Theater on Telephone Road, one of the drive-in's or, on a weekend night, a beautiful former vaudeville palace downtown (now gone, an outrage), with the original James Coney Island after. There's nothing like being in a packed place watching a thriller - the collective gasps of the crowd feeding the tension. I can tell that you get it. Sorry about your schedule!

We're going to have to see this flick. Lots of buzz!

mikol13 and vlaurelio like this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Must you one up everyone?

Deckard and arkoe like this.