1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would You Truly Stop Being a Fan If Morey Was Fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Oct 6, 2019.

?

Would You Stop Being a Fan?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Depends on who we hire to replace him. Sam Hinkie, please?

2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Not just the team, but the entire NBA, as I think a Morey firing doesn't happen without Silver's fingerprints on the knife.

Damn them all. Make all of the money you want from China, because you damned sure won't be getting anymore of mine.

I have zero illusions that I will be joined by very many in this stance. I don't care.

3. Red Nation RGV

Hell no I wouldn't stop being a fan that's stupid... its not the Houston Moreys

hibbetts likes this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

It's the China Rockets.

clutchdabear, Williamson, HP3 and 7 others like this.
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

The intent of his tweet was to support freedom and democracy. Of course I agree with that. But it does not come off as that to the Chinese, and in the current political environment it was akin to yelling fire in a crowded theater. For him not to realize that is truly clueless.

Williamson likes this.
  6. Audioout

Audioout Member

No, I would still be a fan but Tillman would forever be on my sh*tlist.

Also, I would speak out about China and Chinese influence every chance I get along with having a big problem with things like the Chinese uniforms and players going to China for money, even Harden.

7. Red Nation RGV

Never heard of em

8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I'm a big fan of Morey, but I don't think a rebuild through the draft would he his strength. Just like I don't think Presti is the best at executing trades to improve his roster. They each have their own strengths, I think Morey's is being flexible with cap space to work with and an existing star under contract, and finding the occasional late draft pick gem. Who knows,we haven't had a chance to see it and may never get to.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

part of why i believe he's overrated in his decision-making. far too often he is lacking basic common sense. there are dozens of examples i could cite, but i'll just leave one here... MCW

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Daryl is my favorite GM and I think the job he has done has been outstanding. But I was a fan long before he was GM and hopefully I’ll be a fan after he’s gone, regardless how that happens. Having said that, I hope he isn’t gone any time soon.

jcf and theimpossibles1 like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

No, just because i'm a fan of the Rockets. And for as much as i love Daryl (he's the n.1 in the organization in my eyes and i would extend his contract for 10 years now without second thoughts), general managers, just like owners, players and coaches well, they come and go, only one thing is always going to be there and that's the franchise, which is what i cheer for, the reason why i watch games, i post here etc so, yeah...while i do understand why someone says "if Morey gets fired i won't be a Rockets fan anymore", i just can't think the same.

Now, i'm personally not religious, but to me this sounds like if you would say that you won't believe in god (Rockets) anymore if the priest (Morey) of your neighborhood gets kicked out by the Vatican (Fertitta) because he's being accused of i don't know...helping homeless/poor people who do drugs or whatever.

And i mean, it's not like we discover today what the NBA etc is all about business, if you really thought that this kind of people ever really cared about humanity etc, no offense, but i think that's naive.

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Rockets belong to the city. Owners come and go.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  13. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I have watched the Rockets religiously regardless of how they have performed. However, if they begin to plummet due to the ownership firing DM and obviously looking out only for their own bottom line then I will begin to care less about the team. However, if they end up in the finals it will be impossible for me not to watch and cheer on Harden, MDA, and everyone else getting the ring they deserve. It would feel less like a franchise or win for the city, it will definitely be about watching individuals that I have been rooting for as a fan of the team.

14. malakas

malakas Member

No. It's like I will stop going to church(Rockets), if the pope(owner) started advocating for communism and sent the priest (Morey) to the gallows to be hanged.

It doesn't have to do that Morey is fired but WHY he has. If you can't see that you miss the point.

It's not naive to believe that the NBA doesn't support human right violations.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No. I would be on the bandwagon for Tillman to sell the team though.

clutchdabear, apollo33 and Williamson like this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I see the point, but the point of this thread is if you would still be a Rockets fan or not.

And just saying btw, the NBA was totally fine with Nike (american multinational) when they used childrens (also in China) to build their products so, yeah...

17. BleedsRocketRed

It pains me to say this, because I have been through thick and thin with the Rockets since 1990.

I wouldn't give this team a single dime of my money again until Tillman and crew were wiped from Rockets existence.
    My loyalty is strong, but I am loyal to my morals first and foremost. Its not the fact that Morey was fired (if), its WHY he was and that to me crosses all boundaries of mine. Letting him go, and replacing him with someone else (who lets face it would be far inferior) would be so damaging to their product and a complete slap in the face to all fans of the team. I would immediately cancel my season tickets without question and there is NOTHING the team can say that will change my mind.

It showed that we, the people here in the USA don't matter. I understand this NBA is a business, but people have their limits and I for one would not support the NBA product until this has been rectified.

My parents ran away from communism in the 1970's, and I am not afraid to run away from the Rockets.

18. malakas

malakas Member

I am not fine and I don't buy Nike products.
    If I stopped following every sport that used Nike then I would be left with watching what? Horse racing maybe? I don't say that someone has to e perfect to follow them. But there is a bottom line somewhere.

And for me becoming the doormat of china when it is operating concetration camps right at this moment is one.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At this point it would be like telling me to stop loving a family member.

I would absolutely hate the organization, and I could stop repping them publicly, but it would be extremely hard for me to stop caring about the players wearing red 82 times a year.

20. Handles

Handles Member

I wouldn’t stop immediately, but it would be another huge domino to fall. The first was when cheap Tilman became owner. The last might be more corrupt refs being outed, which I think is only a matter of time at this rate. I’ll at least be here for Harden’s tenure.

But yea it’s an American sport and it’s being influenced by communists, all for the “almighty dollar”. It’s a sad state of affairs if Morey gets fired.

That said, if Morey does get fired, I can only hope he’ll become some kind of basketball Bill James. I seriously doubt he gets another job in NBA once his contract is up. It will be interesting to see what Morey does next.

clutchdabear and Gray_Jay like this.