1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fans in China furious at Morey for supporting Hong Kong protests

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Oct 4, 2019.

1. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Interesting. The qualifications I alluded to are to highlight that he was being careless with his tweet. On topics of politics, if you lack nuance and a balanced positioned, you will upset people who listen or follow. The tweet was too simple especially for someone with his background (Wiki: bachelor's degree in computer science with an emphasis on statistics from Northwestern Univ. in 1996, as well as an MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management). The president was voted by the people, with his greatest qualification being that he was better than Hillary.

As opposed to Kerr and his quick political jabs in his tweets, I expected more from Morey to be nuanced with a sensitive topic in the heat of a developing news cycle.

2. HROZ

HROZ Member

Well the Hong Kong protests really started because of an extradition bill that let mainland China extradite Hong Kong citizens. This would lead to Hong Kong Citizens being possibly shipped away in the middle of the night to some gulag in the middle of nowhere and not stand trial. (Though it appears China does that anyway)

That bill has since been rescinded.

But the protests have expanded to include either a right to elect their own government (after it became obvious the government did not have HKs interests at heart) but also more freedom of speech within Hong Kong and ability to have more freedom of speech.

The issue is China will never allow that. And Hong Kong people don't have the influence in China to do that.

USA or anyone else is not coming to their help. And it's ridiculous to claim otherwise. The two things that appears to be holding China back is

They have promised Taiwan if they join China there will be one nation two systems (much like Hong Kong). But if they can't maintain that system in Hong Kong it really weakens their claim to Taiwan.
    Also Hong Kong is huge financial sector with a lot of international residents, if they leave then Hong Kong financially could really be hurt.
    (Admittedly this is speculative)

The protests have seen some destruction and some of it unnecessary. But with protesting being illegal. Protesters have looked to cover up their identity. (look at the recent mask ban) includes pulling down cameras that could be used to identify them.

Unfortunately the system China has built which has made criticism of them illegal and includes spying on the general populace has meant that the protests can't happen without some destruction to infrastructure. Otherwise their safety would be in more danger that they already are.

Inheritly the protests are bound to fail though as they are now asking for rights that China has made clear they will not allow.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are an ignorant chump, with all due respect. Here’s some free advice. Go back to school and learn some history.

4. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

That’s exactly what I’d say to you Deckard.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i can confirm the boldfaced part -- there is already a significant exodus of wealth and relocation of banking to singapore

Nook and HROZ like this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You have a very naive take on who our politicians are. Many of them have less education than Kerr also.

We currently have a president who makes hot takes with one sentence declarations on Twitter on a daily basis.

People voting for you doesn't magically make one an expert in Constitutional law, foreign policy, macroeconomics etc. Those attributes can be mutually exclusive as seen with the current president.

It would be ironic if you are amongst the "political correctness is ruining discourse" tribe.

Politics is all about charisma and money. As long as you have enough charisma and money, you can garner votes in a political campaign regardless of how intellectually dumb you are and how little you grasp constitutional law, macroeconomics etc.

#306 fchowd0311, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Yung-T likes this.
  7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It sounds like he was raised in China with a lot of censorship. I doubt sending him back to school there would actually change anything.

Yung-T, malakas, Nook and 2 others like this.
  8. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I agree with every line of your post except the first one.

9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

You sounded like you need some help Deckard. Let me.

For the corrupt choice of Chiang:

- Stilwell and the American Experience in China: 1911 - 1945
    by Barbara Tuchman

- China 1945
    by Richard Bernstein

For the mistake in Lebanon:

- From Beirut to Jerusalem
    by Thomas Friedman

For the unfortunate backing of Diem:

- Embers of War: the Fall of an Empire and the Making of America's Vietnam
    by Fredrik Logevall

For the rarely told mis-judgement in South Korea:

- The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War
    by David Halberstam

FYI I'm not randomly cherry picking books. These are all respectable American historians and 4 our 5 books above did actually won Pulitzer prize in History writing.

Williamson likes this.
  10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You know what, I don’t have that much lessons for you.

But I do have a good advice, for anyone whose supportive to this current CCP dictatorship, you can always go live in that country, even you are non Chinese. They absolutely will welcome a foreigner to be part of their propaganda tools.

Deckard, Yung-T, malakas and 3 others like this.
  11. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Weak and lame.

And let me be clear once more. I do not support dictatorship in any format. And if this is what you manage to deduct from a bunch of book recommendations, I start to seriously question your ability to think.

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I’m jumping in the middle here so admittedly don’t know the nature of your debate here with others. But you sound like you’re willing to put in some critical thought and have a civil discussion. I’ve only read a few of your posts here in this thread but can you summarize what your points are that you’re trying to make? I could go back and read your posts but a lot of them are in response to others. So what’s your fundamental position?

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Morey could tweet anything. Anything at all. And I will continue to be a Rockets fan like I always have been.

Deckard and tinman like this.
  14. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Not sure which part you are calling the other person ignorant on. But Chiang Kai Shek was definitely corrupt and not a perfect person by any means.

Now I'm not saying Mao Zedong was better of course.

yixiixiy likes this.
  15. WNBA

WNBA Member

sounds like Trump talking ....

16. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

That Morey is free to express whatever he think is right.

That Fertitta's statement is necessary from the organization's perspective.

That the other government had committed atrocities before and has questionable conduct now elsewhere is not ground for action in this Hong Kong affair, without deeper fact finding. It's also complicated by this current tense relationship with China.

That "intense feeling obscure truth", and that black-and-white-ism is a dangerous way to make policy. History repeats itself and the US had made repeated and arguably costly mistakes in critical foreign relations decisions before.

That people here is subject to emotional rush and make personal attacks is understandable, but is equally silly not much different from the bots making personal attacks on Morey's instagram account.

That this foolishness shall end as soon as possible and get this forum peacefully back to basketball again.

17. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I understand their government came about as a result of poor standards of living along with an insatiable growing population. Most of the world has no freedom of speech and there constant monitoring of ideas that oppose authoritarian views. Just a tough world to live in.

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well as long as this doesn't affect my favorite rub'n tug massage parlors... can we go back to discussing basketball again... preseason has started....

19. astros123

astros123 Member

How come you arent mentioning the fkin havoc the protesters are causing. Raided HUNDREDS of businesses that the protesters deemed "pro china" and rioted the subway system. The entire subway system was shut down today because of last nights protests. Protesters burned down tires and started fires to block off the intersections going into the city.

People are acting like these folks have been nothing but peaceful. If any of that **** happened in New York then you'd see the national guard arresting people. Imagine the subway system being shut down for an entire because of Occupy Wall Street. LOL

20. mms

mms Member

People mentioned Xinjiang "concentration camp" and "genocide". I am curious from where those folks got that idea. I guess you watch or listen lots of CNN or NPR. You must be a believer of Iraq having WMD, Trump colluding with Russia, Mother Earth dead in 12 yrs, and Harden step back Traveling...