1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fans in China furious at Morey for supporting Hong Kong protests

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Oct 4, 2019.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The same Chinese fans who Vote for Injured bench player in Derrick Rose over Superstar James Harden.

Year after Year James Harden is never voted by Chinese fans to start a All Star Game.

Ever since Jeremy Lin left, not voting for James Harden year after year is a travesty.

James Harden spends time in China with promoting Adidas and basketball camps, and then you ignore him during All Star Voting Ballot.

2. jayfree

jayfree Member

This would have never had happened if DMO was still on the team

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If Rockets fans from around the world have basketball takes, bring them on.
    Reactions to Maury's personal opinions about non-basketball matters? I could not care less really. Maybe that should be moved to the D&D where the Chinese posters and the Hong Kong posters and others can fling poo at one another (like I do when it comes to American politics).

4. foh

foh Member

Ask him what? If the famous and rich American life is good in China?

I've been to China - it's a great place for a visit.

Until they cook up a criminal charge for you for undesirable political views.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This is not just a Morey personal opinion on non basketball matters.

It’s all about Tilman’s Reaction to that.

Tillman clearly draw a line and saying “what Morey mentioned doesn’t represent Rockets view and value”.

So it’s very clear what Tilman’s value is all about to the Rockets fans.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

7. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Morey posted a highly polarizing political view with that tweet. In America, we cheer on democracy and the people's freedoms, so optically it looks like a very safe tweet. But just like when it relates to US politics, it comes off as highly uninformed when someone in the business of sports takes a political stance. I'm ambivalent on the Hong Kong-China protests, but his tweet made me cringe just like when Steve Kerr makes political tweets on the regular. Just because they feel emboldened by their platform doesn't mean it carries any weight when it comes to matters outside of the arena that gave them that platform. Just because Morey is well-informed in all topics regarding the NBA does not necessarily translate to his due diligence on political matters.

Regarding Tilman... he might have been right to make that public given any marketing advantage we have with the team's relationship with China. Any advantage we can get to beef up his wallet to make moves, I'm all for it. I'm faulting Morey for this more so than Tilman's reaction. Tilman's tweet more than anything he's said or done on TV comes off as calculated rather than rash.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So it’s basically impossible to call Morey racist if he supports people in Hong Kong cause those people are Chinese.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@freemaniam
    What’s the take from a real fan in Hong Kong ?

10. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Wait a second. Justifying genocide?! Are you freaking losing your mind Malakas. You can spin whatever you want but what in the god damn world in that post suggested even a faint idea of justification of genocide?

You can use however many smily face you want but you completely lost me.

If you think that a government's atrocity in another region or in another era is ground for punishment for what's going on in Hong Kong, you completely do not deserve my respect. No one in this forum has the faintest clue what was truly behind the demonstrations in that place. No one. Not even some of my Hong Kong friends that are living there. Making emotional gesture against a country based on simplistic views and naivete here make you no better than the bots that troll Morey's instagram.

In fact, l bet you could find some solace in so many tragic decisions by the US government in the past century. Backed the WRONG guys over and over again, in Vietnam, in South Korea, in Lebanon, in Iran, in China during WII. No lessons have been learned. Why? Because the world is black and white to Americans. There is no in-betweens. Because no one cared to get the facts straight.

And then. What about them justification of genocide? You are talking about justification of genocide at a place that gave birth to the so called MANIFEST DESTINY. And people are not allowed to bring about that history because, well, that was 150 years ago. That supposedly the people have grown out of their immoral past. That given the status and maturity of the country it now is justifiable to stampede its own past and point fingers relentlessly towards others. My point is that you are free to say whatever you want to say. But that 1) get some facts straight and 2) don't try to hide your ironic hypocrisy when doing so. In my opinion, given the same context, "noble" minds in the western world would do it again in a heartbeat. Now in my humble opinion this mindset is equally dangerous and appalling.

Check your logics Malakas. It doesn't make any sense to me.

freyzhang likes this.
  11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Lol, you are totally wrong on this.

If what Morey said is completely wrong and off from the facts, anyone will know USA is a free world and you are more than welcome to point out the facts on social media (btw that’s exactly what you can’t do in China) and tell him to his face that he was wrong and he was supporting evil behaviors.

That’s not what Tilman did, what Tilman did is cowardly acting as an agent on behalf a dictatorship market to tell Morey just to STFU.

malakas likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tilman basically said money is more important than human rights. That’s just stupid. This country was built because of the rebels that fought oppression just like the folks in HK. We sympathize with them.

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Your logic mentioned above is the exactly logic of the CCP using to tell it’s 1.4 billions of people : we are building a wall for not allowing you to access the outside world is this : we want to protect you all. You don’t want to know the so called truth because there is no truth. There is always some kind of conspiracies the foreign powers working to destroy our society, our country and your living.

So just close your eyes, enjoy the foods in your bowl, and get forked by the government.

malakas likes this.
  14. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Jesus Christ I LOLed

15. vick

vick Member

Politics and sports dont mix. Season is fixing to start. If you dont love Rockets.Bye, bye.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

"We". Not everyone sympathizes with them. Not every Chinese person you see sympathizes with them. Not every person from HK sympathizes with them. It's more political than you think.

Given that this is a Rockets forum, Tilman has every right to post that for what he believes is for the benefit of the organization, even if it makes the organization look bad. It's going to look terrible when news of Tilman opposing his GM's tweet breaks out on CNN or whatever national media outlet. I put the blame on Morey for starting it. You can sympathize and not tweet it. He did it probably not expecting people or bots or whatever to respond back in opposition. It's a mistake on his part, regardless of Tilman's response.

daywalker02, Easy, jcf and 1 other person like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What qualifications do you need to have a political stance?

In the past half century we have had a actor and a reality TV star as the most recognizable political figure on the planet.

Morey isn't a dumb person. He has a Northwestern and MIT education. That itself makes him more qualified to express political opinions than even our current dumbass in chief.

#297 fchowd0311, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Yung-T, malakas and Little Bit like this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To you maybe? I don't care about Tilman's reaction.

I am following a basketball team, their players and their games. Not so much into the "brand" or the "org."

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

“Backed the wrong people in WWII?” You’re a lunatic, dude. We backed China in WWII and before. We refused to sell oil and steel to Japan because of what they were doing to China, and what did that get us? Pearl Harbor. Take your stupidity and ignorance and put it where the sun don’t shine, you freakin’ idiot.

What a stupid chump. They are crawling out of the woodwork today.

Yung-T, malakas, Plowman and 3 others like this.
  20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

If you call the corrupt Chiang Kai Shek the right person, you were the one that needs some therapy. And personal attack is not the way to make a convincing argument Deckard.

US backed Chiang because there was NO other choice. That didn’t mean that was a good solution. So it was with Diem in Vietnam and all the other cases I mentioned.

Calling a person lunatic/idiot/chump while making an argument does not make your argument stronger.

I’m firmly pro democracy, and if you draw these lowly conclusions from what I said you are also no better than those trolls out there.