1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman for MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joshuaao, Aug 25, 2019.

1. SemisolidSnake

I noticed just in some passing searches that there were a few outlets saying Bregman should get it as of a few days ago. USA Today and the NY Post, iirc. Probably others out there.

Shame they don't announced these awrds until after the playoffs are over. They should get it out of the way now, and let everyone know.

2. Enemysquad

Enemysquad Member

Take Trout out of the Angels and they still don’t make the postseason, take Breggy off of the Astros I’m not sure they finish with the best record in the majors. So who is most valuable to their team?

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Marcus Semien, because Oakland certainly misses the playoffs altogether without him.

Fortunately that's not an argument voters will use, but if they did you can't selectively attribute it to who you want.

#243 sealclubber1016, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

arkoe and vince like this.
  5. HTown2017Champs

Best player with the initials AB in any sport right now. Both on and off the field (and social media) :p.

jcee15 likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Bregman's production has fallen a cliff since the 2019 season. His current OPS is worse than the last two years when he was injured. It seems like hamstring injuries are worse for careers than ACL's and TJS.

We are going to be paying 29 million a year for a OPS in the low 700s if he doesn't get his act together. Can we trade him?

*Hoping this anti-jinx works

7. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

In Bregman's two signature seasons in 2018 and 2019 didn't he have slow April and May's followed by torrid final 4 months of those seasons?

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He has still been very productive and well worth his contract. Yes, he hasn’t duplicated his MVP caliber seasons of 2018-2019 but it was never reasonable to expect him to maintain that. If he can be a 4 win player (which is what he’s on pace for this season) he will be an excellent value for his contract. He’s posting a wRC+ of 123 so even though he’s not hitting at that MvP level he is still a more than viable middle/top of the order hitter.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

18-19 Bregman isn't coming back, he benefitted greatly from the juiced balls, so people just need to accept the new realistic expectation from Bregman.

Having said that, he hasn't been nearly as "awful" as everybody is making him out to be. His power isn't coming back, but I fully expect him to be in the .250/360/450 range by years end, which is still an extremely productive player. He's basically one good game from being near those numbers now.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

30 million a year for just a productive player?

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

4 WAR is a really good player, probably not quite worth his salary, but hardly the gross overpay you think it is.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

4 war is not just a productive player, it’s an excellent player. Guys who post 4 war make all-star teams. They just aren’t in mvp conversations. But yes, they are worth $30M/yr+.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Welcome to the new baseball economy.

Tomstro likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As a long time Astros fan, there is a part of me that believes there is now way Manfred lets dejuiced balls into this postseason. Sure, Bregman is merely a great hitter instead of an MVP candidate with this ball, but watching the Astros pitchers neuter Yankee hitters once again can't be high on Manfred's wishlist.

And now I take off my tin foil hat.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that Bregman will ever hit 40+ homers again, and I wouldn't count on him hitting 30+ homers again. However, he is certainly capable of hitting 25-30 homers. He doesn't strike out much, he works the count and draws a lot of walks. He still has the ability and potential to be a 5+ WAR player.... he is just off right now, he isn't hitting the ball as hard and as consistently as he is capable of.

Right now he leads the league in walks in a down year.... he is also capable of 40+ doubles as well.

I would say that this season has been a disappointment, but I am not overly concerned.... I don't see where he has really looked over matched and he has had some bad luck.

If I had to guess, I think he will get locked in and end up with an OPS over .800 and have 4-5 WAR this season.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I have plenty of tin foil around if you run out. Manfred wants his thumbs on the scales without everybody seeing he had his thumbs on the scales. Every move in baseball is to eliminate what the Astros did to win and I have no doubt he thought dead balls would hurt the Astros more than his beloved Yankees.

His philosophy appears to be that MLB is only good when the Yankees dominate the game.

#256 Marshall Bryant, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

His eye is back, but his stroke is not. I look at his W/SO ratio and barrels. If those are working, he'll be OK.

Nook likes this.
  18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Before noon.

A's have posted their line-up.

1. Kemp 2B
    2. Laureano RF
    3. Pinder DH
    4. Brown 1B
    5. Andrus SS
    6. Bethancourt C
    7. Barrera LF
    8. Smith 3B
    9. Pache CF

ETA on Dusty's Line-up - 1.37 I was wrong. Posted just after noon.
    R ALTUVE, Jose 2B
    L TUCKER, Kyle RF
    R BREGMAN, Alex 3B
    L ALVAREZ, Yordan DH
    R DIAZ, Aledmys 1B
    R PEÑA, Jeremy SS
    R McCORMICK, Chas LF
    R DUBÔN, Mauricio CF
    R MALDONADO, Martin C

ps No surprises, but SP for KC are posted.

06/03/22 @ Royals URQUIDY, Jose
    06/04/22 @ Royals GARCIA, Luis
    06/05/22 @ Royals VALDEZ, Framber

#258 Marshall Bryant, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Correa, Seagar, Bryant, and Semien are the 4 position players that signed between 25-35.1M AAV deals this offseason. Bregman compares very favorably to those guys as a group right now.

conquistador#11 and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm amazed at just how close Bregman's career has mirrored Bryant's plus 2 years.