1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

2. Buck Turgidson

So we're up to Padres/Giants/Cubs/Pirates/Royals/Angels. Most likely the Mets too.

Maddon to the Angels seems to be everyone's thinking, he worked for them for decades.

Expect Espada to get one of these jobs.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Figured they'd give him more time. I mean, what were their actual expectations of this season? Win the West?

4. awc713

awc713 Member

I think they just want to nab Madden while they can. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ausmus managing elsewhere. There will be a ton of openings, though he's been pretty selective in the past.

juicystream likes this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Before the season began, were they not picked as finishing 2nd in the division? Not saying 4th is Brad's fault. I have no idea.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ausmus' micro-managing of the bullpen came under some scrutiny. It could also just be that there's not much talent there, so he favored getting guys out before they made a mistake.

But what it also did was tax/over-tire arms that were constantly either warming up or getting in games at different times, without much of a formula.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I've seen nothing to indicate Ausmus is a good manager now, after stints with 2 separate clubs. I'm not saying he isn't a good manager, I'm just saying I don't see how anyone could make the case, conclusively, that he is.

He's no AJ Hinch imo. He's also no Bo Porter, imo, so I imagine he's like almost everyone else out there and somewhere in between those 2 extremes.

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Keuchel finishes at 8-8 with a 3.75 era.

12 quality starts out of 19.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Less than 1 fWAR. I doubt he will get more than $40M/3yr. He’s heading into a fatter pitching market.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So basically what he was expected to be.

It was never likely to go well for him being just another year older. He'll need a great postseason to see any great number. The most comparable guys that signed last year are Lance Lynn who got 3/$30 and JA Happ who got 2/$34 with 3rd year vesting option.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. vince

vince Member

Keutchel got bad data, but I can’t blame him for wanting to get paid, and playing hardball.

The unfortunate thing was that the Astros actually got the opposite of a home town discount, whatever the number to start the bidding war was too rich for the Astros, and ended up being too rich for all of the other teams too. Hence, the discount playing price may not have made available to the Astros...

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Former bullpen? coach before taking Angels job last year.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Interesting that they went with the veteran over the rookie despite Soroka being the clear ace of that staff. Maybe reduce the pressure, but also to have him match up against Flaherty?

14. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

makes sense to let a former Cy Young winner/ace and experienced post-season pitcher go first...remember Keuche's wins against the Yankees? He was ice cold. I think the spotlight could be too big for a rookie. I think its a smart move.

15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

hader messing things up ken giles style

DoitDickau likes this.
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

Uhhhh can Folty get a shoutout for 7 innings of shutout ball against the Cards? Hard to support the Braves, but you can’t not love STL getting dominated, and by one of our own no less. Bravo Luhnow, you work in mysterious ways.

7ks, 0bbs, 3 hits...an absolute gem. His best performance ever, and at the biggest stage no less.

DK wasn’t shabby either, 1ER in 4.2IP, albeit on 8 hits/walks. Hopefully he can get it going this playoffs as well. How can you not root for DK taking down St. Louis and L.A...

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

MarGo rocks a double. Miss that dude.

jim1961 likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

Not a pretty start for DK...3.1 IP, 3 ER, 4H, 4:1 K/BB....

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Better than Greinke

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  20. HTown2017Champs

And we wouldn't have had to trade the prospects. Honestly I was always for acquiring Wheeler as a rental for lesser propects, but c'est la vie.