1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey stuffed by Silver, Nene's likely bonuses rejected

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I was wondering whose syntax he reminded me of... Thanks for clearing that up.

Do socks trigger the banhammer at CF like they do other message boards?

biff17 and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. Zergling

Zergling Member

His voice literally matches Ebony Maw from Avengers Infinity War
    [​IMG]

pippendagimp likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Here is @BimaThug and CBA expert Larry Coon on a podcast talking about the Nene contract.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@ch44 you were the first to report the NBA having an issue with Nene's contract. Any word internally on how the Rockets are taking this decision? Do you know if they had a chance to void the contract and rework it AFTER the NBA made changes to it?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

For any modification to a contract to be considered valid, ALL parties must agree to the subsequent changes.

Nene needs to sue NBA and NBAPA for enforcing a modified contract that he did not agree too.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I still think what the NBA did is illegal.

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

The question of whether the Rockets should challenge the league over the Nene contract could very well be wishful thinking, but if they decide to take it that far, they'd have a legitimate gripe. We also know owner Tilman Fertitta isn't necessarily one to just roll over either, so I would be surprised if this isn't the last we hear of this.

Given that there is some precedent to fighting such league rulings, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

https://apple.news/AW-IVWDjgPjuIG0cUAVx5cA

Deuce and RudyTBag like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tilman needs to fight this. He needs to have his GM’s back and make this ugly. Silver should reward teams for being competitive in this manner, for being brilliant in this manner. Instead, we reward bad teams with lottery picks.

Let great organizations be great. Morey has built an NBA contender without premium picks. All creativity... it’s sickening to see those efforts not rewarded while crap organizations get handouts.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is what DMo did and he won a large settlement.

DD

#109 DaDakota, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    bulkatron likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

My understanding is the NBA did NOT modify contract. It’s is still base salary at Min with 75% likely bonuses. The NBA merely said the value of the bonuses doesn’t count in trade value.

In other words, they said this is BS non-guaranteed salary that you’re wrapping up as a Likely bonus...we don’t believe you have any intention to pay $10m, so we are treating it as NG money when you trade him....since the trading partner will never be able to pay him that $10m due to the 52 Wins criteria, anyhow.

But the contract language itself has not changed, right?

FrontRunner and rockbox like this.
  11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

This is the counter argument, I agree. It’s not the same as D Mo, who actually had his bonus structure change

12. ch44

ch44 Member

Exactly - the contract itself did not change. However, when used as outgoing salary in a trade, or calculating a TPE/DPE, the likely bonuses do not count at all for only this contract. So they have a $10M contract on the books that acts like a $2.5M contract in a trade. Nene got the exact same contract he signed up for. The Rockets lost the ability to use it as a trade bait. They had the opportunity to back out of the contract, but honored the agreement with Nene even though it was a big loss of a trade chip.

The worst part of the contract now is that the guarantee date for next season is actually at the trade deadline of THIS season, which is rare. So if he isn't waived by Feb 15, the next year is fully guaranteed. IMO they should have just ripped up the contract and signed him to a 1 year min, which forces the league to reimburse some of the contract at least.

Corrosion, D-rock, Kim and 6 others like this.
  13. heypartner

This is almost I.D.I.O.T. Info. Morey chose not to void contract.

Sounds like Morey is honoring the contract, because Nene did him a favor first by not exercising his $3.8m Player Option. If it were me, I would have asked Nene if he’d sign for 2yrs Guaranteed Min, just to pay him what he gave up.

RudyTBag and FrontRunner like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure they have a fantastic reason for not doing this. It's obvious that Morey does more homework than anyone.

#114 RudyTBag, Sep 23, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@ch44, Thank you very much for elaborated on the aftermath of the ruling.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@ch44 do you know if the Rockets still have the ability to use the NT-MLE after the Nene contract got altered?

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think I can answer this one. I believe the Rockets have lost the ability to use the NT-MLE.

Once a team has both (A) used any portion of the MLE and (B) had its team salary exceed the apron level (even with NG'teed salary), then it thereafter loses the NT-MLE. The Rockets have done this. Even if Nene's cap/tax figure somehow were just his $2.6M salary (instead of his actual $10M cap figure), the Rockets still would be just barely above the apron level.

Now, it is hypothetically possible that, IF (1) Nene's contract were voided (with the league acknowledging that it is as if such contract had never been entered into), (2) Nene were re-signed to a one-year vet minimum salary instead, (3) one of the NG'teed contracts were waived BEFORE the team officially signed Sefalosha and (4) the Rockets don't add any other salary during training camp or preseason, THEN they might still have use of their NT-MLE. But even then, the constraints that puts on the roster--compared with the likelihood of the team actually utilizing the NT-MLE--leads me to believe that the team will just proceed without the NT-MLE this season.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Deuce likes this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If the rockets and nene want to re-do this contract Tillman needs to raise a fuss

He’s been making the rounds talking all this **** about his new book , and generally gossiping around town.

20. heypartner

The contract was not altered, at all.

Before the league stepped in and now, our cap situation was the same. We didn’t have use of the NT-MLE any differently at the time of signing Nene, and nothing has changed AT ALL wrt to our cap situation, because the contract wasn’t changed, and the effect of the Likely bonuses against our cap are the same as when we first signed Nene.

Did I say everything is the same? The only difference is the effect the Likely Bonuses have during a trade.

#120 heypartner, Sep 23, 2019