1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We still need a big 3/4 swingman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 21, 2019.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

can you name 1 player featuring all this that isnt an allstar?

saleem likes this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Regrets, but there ain’t a there there anymore with RyNONONO.

And that there is really a shame.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

The word is "reluctance."
    Sorry, I was just thinking yesterday of this "reticent"/"reluctant" thing. So many people confuse them.
    "Reticent" means "reluctant to talk," or "inclined to keep quiet."

clutchdabear and viertelasiat like this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

English teacher?

5. fattz

fattz Member

We have this role already on the team in Tucker. We need a starting big forward with some length and defense and rebounding and out side shooting and AND AND AND.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

thabo is the 3/4.

• he played 45% of his minutes at PF last season.
    • he has a better reb rate than any non-center on the team sans Westbrook.
    • he's got a 7'2 wingspan. for comparison here's how his wingspan ranks against the west's playoff teams starting PFs: Draymond green (7'1), grant(7'3), PG (6'11), LMA (7'5), collins (7'1), AD (7'6), Bogdanovic (6'11).

at his age I don't see him playing 36mpg against these top PFs, but I do think he can give us 12-15mpg behind tucker and matchup with bigger players than tucker can.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Wow, this is really great info. I didn't really think about Thabo as a backup PF. And certainly did not know he played 45% of his minutes there last season. Very interesting.

I don't think we can count on more than 12mpg from him though. It would be nice to get him to 20mpg if he could do it effectively.

Nook and smoothie like this.
  8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

If we are going to add anyone of value it’s going to be through trade...and that may be already be gone because the league hates smart FO’s.

9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We'll address it in the buyout market like we always do.

Just pray that Capela doesn't get injured this year or we'll be begging Faried to come back.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup. still need Iggy

Nook likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Thabo is like 35-36 years old. He is basically Nene at the wing. He likely misses 25%-33% of the season and when he does play it will be limited minutes. The Rockets still need another 2/3/4 type player that has a 7’0” wingspan and is smart.

There is no point in dealing for a long 4, because he will just end up playing the 5 with MDA.

Just hope old man Tucker stays healthy and Thabo doesn’t turn to dust and the Rockets figure out a way to trade for another long wing.

12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Signing Ryan Anderson would cost somebody their job. He is absolutely the worst. Not sure the logic behind bringing him back, but he's atrocious and really needs to be a commentator or something

withmustard and RichieBanks like this.
  13. HROZ

HROZ Member

Thabo wasn't great at Utah and is too slow for the 3 now.

He's a very undersized 4 with a slow jumper.
    I think House still beats him out.

Our backup 3 atm is probably House and our backup 4 is probably between Clark Thabo & Yes Bennett.

But an upgrade their is probably our biggest need unless one of them burst out.

14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Nerlens Noel owes westbrook for saving his career.

Only way Capeala gets hurt is if he goes outside of his comfort zone. What we have seen is what we will continue to see from him. Maybe westbrook can set him up for some cheap hook shots like he used to for Nerlens Noel.

15. HROZ

HROZ Member

Our Rotation atm looks like this

Capela Chandler
    Tucker
    Gordon House
    Harden
    Westbrook Rivers

With Bennett Clark Sefolosha fighting for back up PF minutes. (This position though is quite important as we will play PJ at C now and again so there could be quite a few minutes here(upto 25 possibly)

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping that Gary Clark becomes a solid role player this season. He showed a ton of promise initially last season. I don't understand why we are so down on him.

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

Gary Clark is the guy. He's big, he's long, he plays smart defensively and he lead his team in rebounding all four years of college. Only thing keeping him off the floor last season was his inconsistent shooting.

BaselineFade likes this.
  18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I would see what shakes loose from the Knicks. They have an overload of 4s.

19. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I've been saying for a while now Jonathan Simmons is out there. 30 years old two years ago was averaging 14 on a bad Orlando team. Cheap and a hometown kid.

D-rock and RustyHarden like this.
  20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

ryan Anderson would go back to magic before rockets. Ryan Anderson followed his frat brother Dwight howard to Houston. Can't blame him for coming to Houston for the money!