1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Movies Have Actually Made You Cry Or Tear Up A Little?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Reeko, Sep 16, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ron Swanson's euphoric recall of Mulligan's Steakhouse made me tear up. Especially the last photo of his first time.

Colt45 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

3. Nook

Nook Member

The Remains of the Day

It especially become poignant the older I become.

All the characters make mistakes (that we all make) and must live with them.

The main character remains a dutiful butler, rather than marry and run off with housekeeper. As a result they both have sad and in some ways pathetic lives.

My other one is Freddy Got Fingered. Seeing the kidnapping and abduction scene was quite emotionally hard.

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Old Yeller. What was Walt Disney thinking?

5. bratna8

bratna8 Member

6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

7. dmoneybangbang

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

The Earthling (1980)

I was a little kid watching this by myself one night and when the parents rolled off the cliff in their RV while the boy watched I lost it. My mind instantly placed me in the boys place watching my mom go off that cliff...oh sh**-that scene scared me for a bit.

9. VanityHalfBlack

The ending scene to Boogie Nights. Make sure you watch the unedited version, by the end of the film, how am i suppose to measure up to those standards? Been crying ever since.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when they spread Donny's ashes in Lebowski . . . "Good night sweet prince"

B-Bob, Nook, DaDakota and 1 other person like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

actually the wood chipper scene in Fargo always kind of gets me also . . . poor Steve Buscemi

FlatFickleArctichare-size_restricted.gif

B-Bob and Nook like this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I cried big, ugly, sad tears at A Star is Born. That **** took my heart strings and played a sorrowful ballad with them.

Bohemian Rhapsody too but that was more awe than sad. I’ve played a couple shows in drum corps to like 20k people and I’ll never forget looking up at the crowd in mile high stadium for finals week. After all Freddy went through, to play that show, with a death sentence and they rocked it, turned it into a pop culture moment that STILL resonates... when they come out on stage and the camera sweeps up to Wembley stadium ready to get rocked, I got chills so hard I cried. The gravity of that moment even in film hits hard. To think, people lashed out at the simple portrayal of a homosexual and missing the forest for the trees!

I cried with laughter at Hamlet 2. I was stoned AF but that had me rolling, the song over the credits at the end almost killed me, I couldn’t breathe lol

mikol13 and gatsby like this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

1. Robin Williams during his mid 90s to 2000 best run with Good will hunting - it's not your fault - What Dreams may Come, Patch Adams - his reaction to the murder of his girl and Bicentennial Man.
    2. Click - the father scene where he keeps replaying his father saying goodbye with a tear in his eye. This movies also proved to me Adam Sandler is more than just a goof, but unfortunately he's going to stay with his shtick and milk it until the money dries up. Rarely does a drama with so much comedy get me.
    3. Any story based on real life or could've been true like Saving Private Ryan, Beast of no Nation, Hotel Rwanda, 12 years a Slave, Clash of the Titans, Cast Away etc.
    4. Any sad romantic story like Meet Joe Black, Fault in our Stars and others that I can relate to or come close to my personal love dramas.
    5. Dramas - Green Mile

gatsby and Phillyrocket like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rudy- the jersey scene.

DD

15. biff17

biff17 Member

ok I tried to Google that Freddy scene and can't find it, hard to think that movie has an emotional scene.

16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

2017 World Series

In terms of movies though, I had some tears for Endgame. The whole final battle and funeral was one gut punch after another.

The Fault in Our Stars. That was some ugly sad. Cancer sucks.

Titanic. Yeah I'm a loser, and I realize Jack could have held on to the damn door.

HP and the Goblet of Fire. When Harry brings back Cedric's body. That's some raw emotion there and gets me every time. And then Deathly Hallows Pt II when he uses the Resurrection Stone to bring back his family.

Coco. At the end when he's singing to his grandmother.

17. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

A little surprised at the lack of Pixar/Disney: Up, inside out, toy story 3. Also the original dumbo scene with baby mine playing.

Non-animated the Armageddon scene where the astronaut requests permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man he ever met always gets me as well.

Colt45 likes this.
  18. droxford

droxford Member

I can't think of a movie that has made me cry.

..However, this still makes me tear up a little, even after all these years.

https://www.si.com/vault/2002/11/18/332681/the-play-of-the-year

The Play of The Year (2002)

Jake Porter is 17, but he can't read, can barely scrawl his first name and often mixes up the letters at that. So how come we're all learning something from him?

In three years on the Northwest High football team, in McDermott, Ohio, Jake had never run with the ball. Or made a tackle. He'd barely ever stepped on the field. That's about right for a kid with chromosomal fragile X syndrome, a disorder that is a common cause of mental r****dation.

But every day after school Jake, who attends special-ed classes, races to Northwest team practices: football, basketball, track. Never plays, but seldom misses one.

That's why it seemed crazy when, with five seconds left in a recent game that Northwest was losing 42--0, Jake trotted out to the huddle. The plan was for him to get the handoff and take a knee.

Northwest's coach and Jake's best friend, Dave Frantz, called a timeout to talk about it with the opposing coach, Waverly's Derek Dewitt. Fans could see there was a disagreement. Dewitt was shaking his head and waving his arms.

After a ref stepped in, play resumed and Jake got the ball. He started to genuflect, as he'd practiced all week. Teammates stopped him and told him to run, but Jake started going in the wrong direction. The back judge rerouted him toward the line of scrimmage.

Suddenly, the Waverly defense parted like peasants for the king and urged him to go on his grinning sprint to the end zone. Imagine having 21 teammates on the field. In the stands mothers cried and fathers roared. Players on both sidelines held their helmets to the sky and whooped.

In the red-cheeked glee afterward, Jake's mom, Liz, a single parent and a waitress at a coffee shop, ran up to the 295-pound Dewitt to thank him. But she was so emotional, no words would come.

Turns out that before the play Dewitt had called his defense over and said, "They're going to give the ball to number 45. Do not touch him! Open up a hole and let him score! Understand?"

It's not the kind of thing you expect to come out of a football coach's mouth, but then Derek Dewitt is not your typical coach. Originally from the Los Angeles area, he's the first black coach in the 57-year history of a conference made up of schools along the Ohio-Kentucky border. He'd already heard the n word at two road games this season, once through the windows of a locker room. Yet he was willing to give up his first shutout for a white kid he'd met only two hours earlier.

"I told Derek before the play, 'This is the young man we talked about on the phone,'" Frantz recalled. "'He's just going to get the ball and take a knee.' But Derek kept saying, 'No, I want him to score.' I couldn't talk him out of it!"

"I met Jake before the game, and I was so impressed," Dewitt said. "All my players knew him from track. So, when the time came, touching the ball just didn't seem good enough." (By the way, Dewitt and his team got their shutout the next week, 7--0 against Cincinnati Mariemont.)

Into every parade a few stink bombs must fall. Mark Madden of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette grumbled that if the mentally challenged want to participate in sports, "let them do it at the Special Olympics. Leave high school football alone, and for heaven's sake, don't put the fix in." A few overtestosteroned Neanderthals on an Internet site complained, "That isn't football."

No, it became bigger than football. Since it happened, people in the two towns just seem to be treating one another better. Kids in the two schools walk around beaming. "I have this bully in one of my [phys-ed] classes," says Dewitt. "He's a rough, out-for-himself type kid. The other day I saw him helping a couple of special-needs kids play basketball. I about fell over."

Jake is no different, though. Still happy as a frog in a bog. Still signs the teachers' register in the principal's office every morning, ready to "work." Still gets sent on errands, forgets where he's going and ends up in Frantz's office. Still talks all the time, only now it's to NBC, ESPN and affiliates from CBS and Fox about his touchdown that won the game.

Yeah, Jake Porter thinks his 49-yard run made for a comeback victory. He thinks he was the hero. He thinks that's why there were so many grins and streaks down people's faces.

Smart kid.

jcf and CCity Zero like this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I forgot about Up. That one got me big time.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Just be thankful you aren't blind in the backwards ass Tibet where they think blind people are possessed by demons and shout at them in the streets. Much less allow them to go to school. Tons of blind children there because they have to burn cow manure for heat (it's cold in Tibet)

going to school with a bunch of white people seems pretty tame in comparison.