1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2019] Hurricane season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xenon, Jul 8, 2019.

1. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

Current Location: 28.7N, 95.4W
    Geographic Reference: 15 Miles SSW of Freeport, TX
    Movement: North at 6 mph
    Max Winds: 40 mph gusting to 50 mph
    Current Hurricane Severity Index: 2 out of a possible 50 points (1 size, 1 intensity)
    Max Predicted Hurricane Severity Index: 2 out of a possible 50 points (1 size, 1 intensity)
    Current Radius of Tropical Storm-Force Winds: 45 miles
    Max Predicted Radius of Tropical Storm-Force Winds: 45 miles
    Organizational Trend: Slowly Becoming Better-Organized
    Forecast Confidence: Average

Key Points:
    1. Imelda is predicted to move inland over the next several hours and weaken to a depression tonight.
    2. The primary threat to Texas is heavy rainfall, as all tropical storm-force wind will remain offshore.

Our Forecast
    Tropical Depression Eleven has been upgraded to Tropical Storm Imelda immediately after it was classified as a depression. There are no changes to our previous thinking. Imelda will be moving inland near Freeport over the next several hours. All tropical storm-force winds will be confined to offshore waters and along the immediate beach areas. Once the center moves fully ashore overnight, winds should slowly drop to below tropical storm strength offshore.

The main threat inland across southeast Texas is from heavy rainfall. As the center moves slowly northward past Houston tonight and tomorrow morning, bands of squalls will stream inland from Houston/Galveston to Beaumont/Port Arthur, producing heavy rainfall across much of southeast Texas.

Expected Impacts Offshore
    Upper Texas Coast: Winds to tropical storm strength over the next 12 hours with gusts up to 50 mph to 60 mph will be possible, along with rough seas.

Expected Impacts Inland
    Houston/Galveston area to Beaumont/Port Arthur: Heavy squalls streaming inland over the next 48 hours will cause travel issues due to street flooding.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

It's official: tropical storm Imelda.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Always at ****ing rush hour.

tmoney1101 and Sajan like this.
  5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

You forgot to specify heavy rain only overnight when you asked for this.

6. LonghornFan

Yeah, plus wait until my car is dirty should have been a request. Not 1 day after paying for a hand wash. Glad for the persistent rain though. My yard didnt need it like most but my sprinklers needed a break.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Latest update.

Rodman23, CometsWin, MadMax and 8 others like this.
  8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Same! I found out just now through clutchfans lol. I was wondering why it’s been raining since yesterday morning out of nowhere

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Houston is very very lucky the storm made landfall near Freeport rather than in the Palacios - Port Lavaca area.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Heavy flooding is the new normal for Houston.

11. LonghornFan

Yup. Beaumont has been getting absolutely hammered for 3 days and it's still raging hard there. Many places over 20" of rain. The "city" is shut down.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Keep an eye on 39

[​IMG]

Humberto
    Hurricane Humberto is moving away from Bermuda this morning. It brought wind gusts over 110 mph to the islands yesterday. It currently has maximum winds of 125 mph. Rapid weakening should begin later today. In addition, it should transition into an extratropical storm by this time Saturday. After making a turn more to the north, Humberto should accelerate to the east late Friday, passing south of Atlantic Canada.

Jerry
    Jerry is located about 675 miles ESE of Antigua. It is moving to the WNW at 16 mph. On this track, Jerry is forecast to pass a little north of the Leeward Islands late tomorrow afternoon. However, any deviation to the south of our forecast track would bring tropical storm force winds over the islands. Winds are 70 mph. Jerry should become a hurricane later today.

Imelda
    Imelda is bringing very heavy rainfall to parts of southeast Texas. More than 15 inches of rain occurred overnight to the southwest of Beaumont, Texas. An additional 10 inches of rain may occur today. Widespread flooding is ongoing and is expected to worsen through the day. To the west, rainbands either have developed or are expected to develop. This is expected to cause heavy rainfall. The eastern parts of the Houston metro area could see another 4 to 8 inches of additional rainfall through tomorrow from Imelda.

The center of Imelda is now located well north of the Houston area. Imelda should continue to weaken during the next couple of days. Dissipation is expected by the start of next week.

Other Disturbances / Areas to Watch
    Disturbance 42 is located along 42W. it is moving slightly south of due west at 13 mph. The disturbance is expected to approach the Windward Islands early next week. While there are no signs of organization at the present time, environmental conditions should be marginally favorable for development as it moves toward the Windward Islands and into the eastern Caribbean. There is a 30 percent chance of tropical development.

Disturbance 39 is south of Hispaniola in the central Caribbean Sea. It is moving to the west-southwest at about 5 mph. A track to the west or the west-northwest is expected during the next few days, taking the system slowly toward the Yucatan. While there is a fairly large area of squalls associated with the disturbance, strong wind shear is affecting the disturbance. Therefore, the chance of tropical development remains 10 percent.

Disturbance 43 is located near the west coast of Africa. It will soon emerge into the Atlantic Ocean. There is a 20 percent chance of tropical development.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How are these rain bands still coming west to east? And on the southern quadrant? I thought rain bands mostly came from the NE quadrant of a storm when it's still over water?

Kingwood is getting hammered. Freakin' Harvey all over again...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hwy 105 @ I45 is under water. The storm is about to start moving south a little. About to get pounded in The Woodlands and Spring for the next few hours.

KHOU just said Kingwood Dr is flooded.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

40+ inches of rain near Beaumont and counting. Some rain totals are challenging Harvey totals.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Wow...it's actually now over 6 inches in less than an hour

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Tropical Storm Allison was a turrable flood event, everything below grade in The Medical Center flooded. Certainly not Harvey but it schooled me to respect them. Allison just got stuck in a pattern over East Texas, moving slowly on shore, then offshore and them back on shore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Allison

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Southeast Texas weather is the worst. It’s either 150 degrees or you’re fighting hurricanes

J.R. likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd rather have that than live in tornado alley.

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

In the west end/heights we’ve got more than 4 inches in the past hour. Watching the water rise fast on my brand new truck on my birthday. Pretty fun. Any idea in when this is supposed to let up?

conquistador#11 likes this.