1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Travel to Barcelona

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by T_Man, Sep 18, 2019.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Has anyone traveled to Barcelona?

I am headed that way in a couple of months and trying to see if I should take a taxi to the hotel or get a private car?

I've heard about the shenanigans there.

Thanks,

T_Man

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Taxi is fine. But you could also use Sixt mydriver or Blacklane. Bit more expensive. Or get the hotel to send you a car (more expensive).

FranchiseBlade, Xenon and heypartner like this.
  3. T_Man

Thanks AW... I checked with the hotel... They don't have transportation...

Going to look into the options you mentioned..

T_Man

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I love Barcelona - just beware of pickpockets - don't leave your mobile on the table at restaurants, etc. Petty theft is pretty bad there right now.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. T_Man

So I have heard... A LOT!!!!

Flying in early for the cruise just to do some sight seeing... So only a one night stay..

T_Man

6. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Cool thread. I'll actually be there for the first time next Sunday. I'm doing a tour of Europe to include Oktoberfest. I will be monitoring this thread for tips. Thanks!

malakas and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you're going to walk on the Rambla in the evening, look up Bar Pastis ... especially if you are a fan of La Carafe in Houston -- tiny place, from a different era. It's esp great when they have a french jazz band playing.

Xenon and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. red

red Contributing Member

Lived in Barcelona for a month. Depending on how much luggage you have you should have no problem taking the underground metro to the city. The mercat de la boqueria is my favorite market in the world Good food there.

9. T_Man

Thanks HP...

Will let you know how it goes... We want to check the city out before heading out to sea the next day..

No Golf for 10 days... Man I am going to die...

T_Man

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I got there by train and used their metro rail. Im sure its an option from the airport. It was one of the easiest rail systems to use imo. As mentioned, be wary of pickpockets.

Also order fried calamari for every meal. Or order some on the side with your paella. Everywhere I went, it didnt matter where, it was always such good fresh calamari. If youre doing tapas, order some calamari. Just grabbing a drink, order some fried calamari. Ordering some fried calamaris? Order a second serving of fried calamaris.

peleincubus, Xenon and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

For tapas, I recommend Cerveceria Catalana.

Xenon likes this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Where is cruise to? Venice? Should be a nice itinerary lucky trip either way

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Pretty sure Nick Fury just wanted you there. Penelope Cruz tried to grab my ass while I was shopping. But she was like in her 40's, so I took it for granted. Set the tone while you are there and do what you are supposed to do,

14. T_Man

Mediterranean Cruise - Honeymoon.. yeah looking forward to it..

T_Man

malakas and IBTL like this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Congratulations and nice choice for honeymoon good job.

Would love to hear your full itinerary. You the man.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Talking about crime in Spain, if I may derail a little, I find it very interesting that Spain has one of the lowest murder rates in the western world, despite its relatively large population, high levels of unemployment, high levels of poverty, it’s lower GDP per capita, etc. Even more interesting is that Spain also has one of the highest life expectancies in the world despite all those factors as well.

I’m sure there’s something to be learned from their laws/culture on those particular subjects.

Also, congrats OP! Hope you and your significant other have a wonderful time.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Generally outside of the cities it is less prevalent. Maybe you could say that about anywhere..anecdote time..
    It doesnt seem like the youth are as into gangs and things like that in spain. Im sure they exist and im loosely saying north vs south spain and my experience.

Im probably being discriminatory if i say it was south - granada sevilla valencia alicante matbella etc and it was roma or foreign actors.

I had my shoes stolen in pamplona but that was my fault.

For as much fanfare the crime rate was low.

In spain they felt a certain pride of no fights like you see in dublin manchester and anywhere in england. I give them credit. Even here in usa we want to fight when drunk.spanish dont. Spanish suck on many things to be sure ..but this is not one of them. Probably one of best party spots in world

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  18. T_Man

Itinerary

Sun Barcelona, Spain (EMBARK)
    Mon At Sea --- ---
    Tue Naples, Italy
    Wed Rome (Civitavecchia)
    Thu Florence/Pisa (Livorno)
    Fri Cannes, France
    Sat Palma, Majorca, Spain
    Sun Barcelona, Spain (DISEMBARK)

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lovely.
    Im trying to think of my favorite stop in your trip and I cant. Good job.

For Livorno Im interested what you have in mind. I believe due to distances and Italian logistics you may want to stick with cruise line excursions. Perhaps in civtavecchia too although that is a bigger port with more transport infrastructure.
    Im sure you are on cruise critic and similar for these ports..

I can tell you i missed a boat in barcelona one time and had to improvise to get to ibiza. dont do that.. get there way early my friend

Cheers

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its true, its one of the most laid back cities Ive ever been to. It must be that true frenchy spanish they speak, that relaxes everyone.

ThatBoyNick likes this.