1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden being sued for mansion party

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 13, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah im certainly not worried about it but if hes according to you about to be homeless then yeah you seem to be on the right track :rolleyes:

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Do you think he'd take Harden to court for PR points? The fact he's suing makes me think he has legitimate proof. This is an easy case to verify.

Is there wording in the contract that states the plaintiffs claims? Did the defendant violate the claims? Answer no to either of those questions and the case is thrown out.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You don't have to be a lawyer to be well versed in contract law - it doesn't matter what is cheaper - you are being pragmatic and humans are emotional animals, I can't tell you how many times people go to court to sue, just because they are angry or mad, but it all boils down to the language in the contract.

If Harden agreed that he would not have a party, or had guest limitations - and there is language that says if you go over those limitations you have to pay X - then yes, he will have to pay X, or agree to settle.

The guy already tried to go through Harden directly but he refused, so is suing, probably to force Harden to deal with it.

The NBA players are used to getting away with free stuff so they are not necessarily well versed on being accountable....I think Harden loses.

DD

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I thought I was the only one that found PJs spending habits a little excessive considering he’s one of the lower paid veterans in the NBA. He spends money like he’s a $20+ million a year player when he makes less than half of that. That’s why for his sake I’m pretty sure he’s going to be signing with whichever team offers him the most money next contract.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  5. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

We shall see. Tip jar bet for $50 says this gets settled outside of court and never reaches a judgement in court. If it does go to court 100% James wins. So you have two chances to win.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have no idea either way. My only thought is that Harden is innocent until proven guilty. Since none of us have seen the contract or have any knowledge regarding the damage to the property or the integrity of the accuser I don't see how anyone on this board can definitely sate (as some have) Harden's innocence or guilt.

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Innocent until proven guilty is a criminal proceeding only, not a civil.
    Civil suit you merely have to show preponderance of evidence (50% +1) to win, and at no point would I advocate shutting down your brain.
    I would be shocked to find out that Harden rented an 8 bedroom place for a week and never had more than 7 people in the house- that defies credibility. I'd imagine that he violated any terms of the rental agreement (the rental agreement terms are absurd on their face imo- but that's a different issue) and he probably ought to just pay up and move on with life.
    I'd imagine this gets settled for something half way between zero and $300,000 as aint nobody got time and money to let lawyers fight over this for years, but who knows.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of my wording, none of us know what's in the contract, the integrity of the accuser or what actually happened at the house.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Why? You know only a fraction of these lawsuits are frivolous/has legitimate proof right?

10. MystikArkitect

This will get settled out of court but Harden totally got conned.

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I mean, I guess I'm famous in my own circles.

Agree about the $150K though, but I figure I'll let two rich people figure it out in court at this point.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

82k ÷ 8 rooms ÷ 7 nights = $1500 for a room per night in a private mansion is something even non famous rich people can afford

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True. I mean if a guy making 200,000 a year pays $150 a night for a hotel, then someone making 32 million can pay $168,000 for a week and it would essentially be the same.

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Everyone here is talking about what’s in the contract and the wording. Believe it or not it may not matter.
    I don’t know what the rules are in the States or in California, but where I live for example (Toronto), there are a set of rules between landlords and tenants that are simply the law, and no wording in the contract can override that.
    Couple examples:
    I can say in the lease agreement the tenant must pay rent by post dated cheque and the tenant can sign to it and agree to it, and he or she is still not obligated to pay in that certain way. The law here is you can’t mandate what form the tenant must pay.

Another example could be if I’m leasing a place furnished. I can demand that the tenant pay a deposit for the furniture in case of any damage. That demand is void. Landlords here cannot take a deposit more than the amount of one months rent and that deposit has to go towards the last months rent. I could have the most expensive furniture and art and taken a deposit for it, if the tenant asks for it back at any point I have to give it back to them with no fuss.

Again. That’s Canada. Not sure how it works in Cali but it may not come down to wording.

15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Oh yeah that’s a rational statement. What else do ALL NBA player do?

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think his point is he charges $150k per "event" and Harden had two parties so $150k+$150k=$300k.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This case is easily verifiable like I said. Why would the renter waste his time to sue Harden if he has no proof? The whole case falls apart if there is no wording in the contract to limit the guest amount and if Harden did invite more than the limit or not. It's not a he-said-she-said. There's verifiable evidence.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I don't give a fork about people claiming how much sauce they have on the Rockets or even they have sex with Morey or not.

Whoever post the party pictures first will be recognized as the true Rockets insider.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh, I think it will be settle too, but my point is that Harden has to and will have to pay.

Dude, do you have any famous friends? They get free crap everywhere, NBA players are famous people.

DD

20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

if this happened in LA then I can understand. Shiet in LA is always fugged up!