1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Unpopular opinion) I don’t like Harden’s one-leg three

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Exactly, I can’t imagine how this is anymore stressful than a layup, or hell a dunk(where you’re really exploding off one leg).

2. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I would have preferred Harden to perfect his spot up 3pt shot along with Westbrook so we could excel with team oriented basketball but.. oh well.

This move doesn't look or seem like it'll be an effective go to move for Harden, but it's his choice to use it in games.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I imagine that this is specifically made for the defenses being played against him now, ie playing entirely on his side

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Yeah. Why Harden not putting more time on his floater practice? I think it’s more useful.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. StrawberryJamm

So the MVP candidate that knows the rules better than anyone, consistently finds more efficient ways to play the game, has a dope floater, is practicing one legged 3s in a league that you can land inside the 3 point line as long as you take off from outside, while the best defensive team in the league is down to sending out Ricky Rubio to guard his ass, and you think he should stop..

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I fully admit that I don’t know that much . It’s not like I’m a physical therapist or anything .

But it’s applying force through only one leg, it’s also not straight vertical . It’s not like he’s doing alternating foot jump rope .

I’m sure for an elite athlete it’s ok to do it . But in a game situation where you are fatigued and you are trying to go at full speed. It just seems like it will put extra strain on the leg . Not saying he’s gonna snap in half if he does it once , but look at the pace he launched threes last season .

There were clearly periods of time last year where he was building up some fatigue and you could see it in his legs when he shot . He managed it well enough to be effective in the playoffs .

But at the end of the day we didn’t win . I know it’s a team sport . But it seems the trend the past few years has been the team that can hold the most in reserve during the regular season and unleash it during the playoffs have the most success .

I just want this new move (if it is the new move) to be used sparingly . Or rather I think it should . My main worry and hence the reason I don’t like the shot is that I don’t think MDA or harden is of the similar mindset . I think if harden can actually hit that shot at a high clip he will go to it when he wants to get a shot off and MDA will encourage it .

I think the number of times it’s used certainly impacts the attention other teams and other defenders pay to it . I’d rather have Kawhi have zero reps trying to defend that shot in the regular season . Sure there is still film , but the less film there is , the less data to see what the best way to stop it is .

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Harden shot 41.4% on catch and shoot 3's last year. Problem was we had no one who can command double teams so Harden's defender stayed close in front oh him always

Not because Harden didnt practice that enough or he didnt want to play team ball

jordnnnn and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I mean, he invented it to shove it in the face of everyone who says he travels.

I’ll stick with the legend’s feelings about it, if he thinks it’s good then it’s good.

Ramo$e, vlaurelio and don grahamleone like this.
  9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I am against forming an opinion until we have at least seen it (if we even will) in nba game action.

10. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

you have tried to do the move and sucked at it....

11. riko

riko Member

I think this might be a decoy move to not show the real move he has been working on.seriously it doesn’t look practical to do it in a real game with a lot more heat then Some pickup game.I can’t see how it can work in a real game consistently.

12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

imagine if Russell Westbrook pulled out a new move in the playoffs... and suddenly shoots 40% from the 3. No team will see that one coming!

13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

that move might get the rockets swept really quic in a seven game series.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

my suspicion is the one legged 3 is doable but more gimmick..

Im thinking smoke screen and he comes out with something else you havent seen.

Preseason is for these types of things

15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

i just hope he don't air ball some shots with this when brodie is open for the game winning shot in the OT Period. lol

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

How exactly do you go about life being unable to deduce anything? It must be hard.

1 leg is less than 2 legs, yet you’re using the same amount of force to shoot the ball. There’s plenty of MD’s on here that can answer any additional questions you may have.

17. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Ok mom

18. atam

atam Member

It’s literally unguardable. He fakes left and then pulls the move to the right. If the defender doesn’t bite on the fake, he’ll drive right by them. If the defender does, you have the one legged three to the right side.
    The only way to stop it is to have 2 people guarding him.

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. Garner

Garner Member

I get it, but I think you’re way overthinking this one. He’s an elite athlete and is inventing something new to make defenders respect yet another element. It’s a positive.

20. Garner

Garner Member

The irony is unrelenting.