1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Disney+] Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Entropy

Entropy Member

Deserves a bump. Star Wars done right from the looks of it.

Deuce likes this.
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Below the bounty hunter played by Pedro Pascal fights a pair of Trandoshans in an exclusive new photo from upcoming the Disney+ series. Star Wars fans first glimpsed a Trandoshan when Bossk appeared Darth Vader’s bounty hunter roll call in The Empire Strikes Back. Neither of these guys are Bossk but apparently The Mandalorian has run afoul of notorious reptilian-looking hunting enthusiasts:

huc-067228_28238721.jpg

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I got the Disney plus deal for three years just for this.

Deuce likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I can’t wait, but I might. Paying for yet another streaming channel for one series seems pretty ludicrous. At least the First Order isn’t part of it. I’ve never understood why there was a First Order in the first place. A group of bad guys who’s only purpose appears to be providing a group of bad guys. Anyway, this series looks good. It may take until November to talk myself into paying for it, though. I need to see more trailers.

mikol13 and don grahamleone like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not only am I looking forward to this Disney+ series, but also the other Star Wars series coming down the pike: Kenobi (set during the Solo movie time/after Revenge of the Sith) and Cassian Andor/K2SO series (set before Rogue One).

These TV series can explore a lot of depth.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What else will they be offering? I’m a huge Star Wars fan who saw it twice in ‘77 the day the first film came out (they got me with the trailer!), but our kids are grown, so what would have been an easy decision years ago, isn’t so easy now. Disney better have a lot in that “plus” to sell me on yet another monthly fee. ;-)

#27 Deckard, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    don grahamleone likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The “problem” is that there are TONS of great storytellers out there. Before they might have been out of a job. Now there’s so much money available you can be sure Disney will put some winners.

Heck, I pay for the CBS one for one month and watch the Star Trek one then cancel until the next season comes out.

As I have many you g kids it will be a no brainer for me. But that the first shows looks like a legit good sci fi story (I don’t care that it’s Star Wars or not) will also draw me in.

I finally switched to cord free and if you haven’t done that I’d suggest it. I saved $75 a month going to youtubetv and frankly the product is better in most ways then cable.

Deckard likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Not so fast my friend:

The Mandalorian to explore the origins of the First Order

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/04/the-mandalorian-first-order/

AleksandarN, Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Mandalorian teams with Cara Dune in the upcoming Disney+ series.

Pascal plays a Mandalorian bounty hunter and Carano is a former Shock Trooper turned mercenary in the Star Wars live-action series.

“She’s gone from planet to planet,” Carano telles EW. “She’s a loner. She’s strong. She runs into the Mandalorian on one of these planets that she’s hiding out on and thinks that he’s there to take her in and then their relationship escalates from there.”

EDp7nt4XsAIu_yC.jpeg

Deckard likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

huc-8738732982398320.jpg

Deckard likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Mandalorian stealthily enters the safe house. Two stormtroopers stand guard. The soldiers have become freelance mercenaries since the Empire has collapsed, their once-pristine armor now grimy with dirt. The bounty hunter creeps up behind them and fires his blaster, gunning them down.

So, yes: The Mandalorian shoots first — and shoots his enemies in the back.

This is the brutal, lawless world of this new Disney+ Star Wars series — which brings a galaxy far, far away to the small screen as a live-action series for the first time. The show is set after the downfall of the Galactic Empire in Return of the Jedi but before the events of The Force Awakens. For now, chaos reigns across the universe, especially in the outer reaches of the galaxy where a Mandalorian bounty hunter stalks his prey for diminishing returns.

“It’s like after the Roman Empire falls, or when you don’t have a centralized shogun in Japan — and, of course, the Old West, when there wasn’t any government in the areas that had not yet been settled,” says showrunner Jon Favreau (The Lion King), who spearheads the series along with longtime Star Wars animated-series producer Dave Filoni. “Those are also cinematic tropes in films that originally inspired George Lucas to make Star Wars.”

Indeed, The Mandalorian’s clearest inspiration is the first act of A New Hope, which played like a Western set in space: exotic creatures, smugglers, soldiers, and bounty hunters leading rough lives in an overlooked outlaw territory. (Conversely, the show is perhaps the furthest from the Star Wars prequels and the aristocratic poshness of their Jedi council meetings on Coruscant.) Expect The Mandalorian to travel from system to system in a very “boots on the ground” tale without any major legacy characters…at least, not in the first season.

“I’ve always been curious what the other people in the cantina are up to,” Favreau says. “We’re digging really deep in the toy chest and pulling out the action figures that people were always curious about and were not quite in the center frame, but have a lot of potential.”

Or as Filoni puts it: “These are the [action figures] you got. Your older brothers have had ‘good’ ones. Somehow you got Boba Fett. And if you have Boba Fett, you could always tell a good story.”

At first glance, the lead character on The Mandalorian is just Boba Fett by another name. But look closer. Boba Fett, despite that armor, wasn’t actually Mandalorian (he was a clone who culturally appropriated the look). “And unlike Boba, he’s operating in a much more unforgiving landscape where survival is difficult enough, let alone flourishing,” Favreau says. Plus, as star Pedro Pascal (Game of Thrones) puts it, the Mandalorian would prefer to do the right thing, “but his duties could very much be in conflict with that — and doing the right thing has many faces.”

Speaking of faces, don’t expect to see Pascal’s very often. The Mandalorian — or “Mando,” as he’s called on set — is pretty fond of keeping that helmet on. (Pascal, not so much. The actor spent a bit of time bumping into things around the set before he got the hang of it.)

Centering a TV series on a character obscured by a mask is perhaps the show’s boldest move, but if anybody can make the premise work it’s Favreau, who also directed a little masked-man movie called Iron Man. Assisted by Pascal’s laconic line delivery and terse physicality, along with expressive choices in camera work and editing, Favreau manages to infuse the character with a surprising amount of personality. “What’s remarkable is when you see the whole stretch of the first season how engaging the character is,” Favreau says. “It’s amazing how many Star Wars characters are emotionally engaging that aren’t even anthropomorphic. R2-D2 is my favorite character and he barely has an eye.”

Another faceless character is IG-11, an assassin droid voiced by director Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). The Kiwi, who also helmed the season 1 finale, labored on finding the perfect voice for the role before landing on a tone that he says is somewhere between Siri and HAL 9000. “[IG-11 is] very innocent and naive and direct and doesn’t know about sarcasm and doesn’t know how to lie,” Waititi says. “It’s like a child with a gun.”

Rounding out the world of The Mandalorian are Haywire’s Gina Carano as Cara Dune, a Rebel Shock Trooper-turned-mercenary and Rocky’s Carl Weathers as Greef Carga, the leader of a bounty hunters’ guild. “In the Star Wars world, you find yourself walking a different way, you behave differently, you relate to what’s around you differently, because it’s not a contemporary world,” noted Weathers.

Arguably the most powerful of the bunch are Breaking Bad’s Giancarlo Esposito as Moff Gideon, a former governor under the Galactic Empire whose world fell apart when those pesky Rebels blew up the second Death Star.

“He’s an Imperial remnant of a very fine officer who then switches to become sort of the guardian of the people,” says Esposito, who had his favorite Star Wars geek-out moment when he got to climb into a TIE fighter. “But what does [Moff Gideon] really want? This guy is going to be a big player because he has an idea of how to keep order.”

Ah yes, order. Eventually this time period gives rise to the First Order, whose origins are still mysterious. The Mandalorian team expects to ultimately explore those formative roots. In fact, filling in the mythology of Star Wars with new canon content on a TV series is a specialty of producer Filoni, who has quietly become the most prolific storyteller in the Star Wars universe, having crafted hundreds of animated episodes across a trio of series such as The Clone Wars.

“I’ve seen a lot of Star Wars,” Filoni says. “And what’s most exciting to me is that I am very confident we did some things — and fans will see things — that have never been seen before.”

mikol13 and Deckard like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I may have to sign up just to see this series. It looks great, dammit! I loved Pascal’s acting in Game of Thrones. He nailed that character.

14. Buck Turgidson

Oh hell yes.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

cc @Deckard

It just keeps getting better and better...

Could two fan favorites from the Star Wars Expanded Universe show up in a live-action production for the first time?

Here’s the good news: The Mandalorian showrunner Jon Favreau isn’t ruling it out.

EW asked the writer-producer-director about whether his upcoming Disney+ series could ever include characters like Grand Admiral Thrawn or Mara Jade, names familiar to fans of author Timothy Zahn’s bestselling Star Wars novels (as well as other works such as the Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith game and the Rebels animated series).

Disney rebranded the Expanded Universe as “Legends” in 2014 and made its content no longer officially canon. But Favreau says he’s interested in tapping at least some of the sprawling Legends creative for The Mandalorian. So I asked if arguably the two most popular Legends characters — Thrawn (a blue-skinned Imperial commander who’s a brilliant tactician) and Mara Jade (a sarcastic smuggler and fighter who eventually marries Luke Skywalker) — could show up on his new show and if his team has had any conversations with Zahn about this.

“I don’t want to talk about anything that might be fun for people to discover,” Favreau says. “We do have conversations. Part of what’s fun to see if we could merge the worlds of the original trilogy, the prequels, the sequels, The Clones Wars, and what’s been considered canon up to this point and what’s been considered part of Legends. I think this show offers an opportunity to bring in all those elements so no matter what your flavor of Star Wars ice cream you like there will be something to enjoy. But you’re asking the right questions.”

One potential entry point for a Legends or other familiar character is the introduction of actress Ming-Na Wen (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), who has been cast in The Mandalorian in a part that’s being kept top secret. So is she playing a name we’ve previously heard or somebody new?

Favreau would only say, “We take full advantage of her acting and her action ability.”

Deckard likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I just love that he's never going to take off the helmet and armor. I hope there's, like, a sauna scene.

And if there's a love scene, I guess he'll just open a little crotch hatch or something.

Xerobull, Deuce and Deckard like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sounds like Drax from GOTG. This character is likely going to create similar laughs.

18. Buck Turgidson

His cousin was one of my favorite SW toys as a kid, so yeah, I'm all geeked for this, especially after I saw the 2 seconds of him in action in the trailer.

19. Nero

Nero Member

[​IMG]

This is such a weird photography method for them to have used for this still. They have used the 'miniature toy' style, which makes full-sized objects appear to our eyes like miniature items. I literally thought at first glance that it was a joke, that someone had taken some Star Wars miniature figurines and created a little 'fight scene', and then put it out as a joke promo for the series. But no, on closer inspection, it's a life-size action shot.

Just a really weird decision. Kinda cool I guess, but still odd, in many ways.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance