1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nene to re-sign

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Sep 3, 2019.

1. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

or D-MO

2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

As what, a coach? How old is he, anyway?

I will laugh my ass off if it's Lin.

3. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Watch it be some BS like a former coach like Bickerstaff joining the Rockets again. I hope it's a player like Luc but it's probably not.

4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

It pretty much would be 10 minutes per each one, once a week.

"See guys! We didn't need a backup for our 35 year old 4! Got them right here!" (Sorry, 34 year old 4. Better?)

Team's better with Nene than without him, assuming no one good has to be cut, and assuming he plays for the minimum. Interesting that he voluntarily gave up that last year, where he'd have made, what? 2.5X the minimum? Daryl may be writing under-the-table promise checks he can't cash.

5. TilmanFinancialWindfall

J.R. just confirmed that Nene was being paid under the table with a lifetime supply of Corporate Bulk Landry's gift cards.

Look at all these options. Who wouldn't take this deal???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gray_Jay likes this.
  6. SemisolidSnake

I thought Nene could have been used much more effectively last year. I thought he might be able to distribute from the high post in certain situations where an inside-out offense would be advantageous. He's smart and actually could and did knock down shots from that distance in games as well. I don't know what his actual stamina situation is, and I doubt MDA has a much better idea. To resign the guy, though, you are expecting him to play, right?

Well, I have no idea with this coach with his monumental lack of creativeness and stubbornness in how he plays guys. I'm kind of hoping that Harden and Russ basically just run the show as autonomously as possible. I like Nene, but he's got to be allowed to actually play to do anything for the team. We'll see.

pippendagimp and BaselineFade like this.
  7. PWR

PWR Member

Bring back Kyle Wiltjer.

Exiled likes this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

For a guy who revolutionized offense and is supposed to be all about player empowerment on the court, MDA has been surprisingly rigid in his play calling and his rotations. let these guys play.. Faried should have freaking played against the damn Warriors; he destroyed them in the regular season..

FREE GARY CLARK gawd dammit.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

At this point I’d be very happy if we signed Ryno at the minimum. I don’t have high expectations of the type of player we will be able to obtain. The market has really dried up and there is so few PFs available. He’s familiar with our system and has experience. Considering we’re only filling a spot for a player to play in few certain match ups or if we’re injury riddled, Ryno is a pretty decent filler. Ryno at $2 mil is not a bad player. Ryno at $20 million was very disappointing but at least the dude had short stints where he literally lived up to that amount early on. I’ll take that wishful stint happening again for $2 mil.

But really I wanted to comment on your retirement post. You’re probably right. The dude came off $80 mil. Why would he continue to play for a team when really he's going to just sit on the bench and do a lot of travelling city to city, probably not make any deep connections on a team, and be away from his family all for chump change. And a decent chance that he would get traded by the deadline as a filler and have to move again. Dudes got a beautiful wife and kid. May as well hang it up. Enjoy life.

10. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I’ve watched him go from Hilario, to Nene, to Charles Jones. More chemistry than production at this point.

11. SemisolidSnake

Seriously. I watched and posted about a video last season that gave a very informative rundown of his career and how he developed multiple successful systems to play off the strengths of the teams he had at the time. And then I see the same guy basically saying he doesn't really coach with the Rockets. Now, one might say, "Well, that's because James Harden IS the strength of the current team," and that is completely correct. But, uh, that still doesn't excuse or explain the crazy rigidity and--say it with me, everyone--lack of adjustments that characterized the team last year, particularly in the playoffs. And the complete lack of player development to fix individual weaknesses. Sorry, Mike, I just straight up don't trust you with this team. Prove me wrong. *not holding breath*

vlaurelio likes this.
  12. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Nene is a good re-sign as he is one of the enforcers the Rockets need along with Tucker (his extension upcoming maybe...) and newly signed Chandler. I agree that Chandler and Nene splitting time playing backup center will keep them fresher come the playoffs. Plus they are elite screen setters.

[​IMG]
    When Lebron knew he would play with Chandler one day.

Start at 58 second mark for screen. LeVert ran into a brick wall.

C: Capela, Chandler, Nene, Hartenstein
    PF: Tucker, Clark, Bennett, Jones
    SF: Gordon, House, Green
    SG: Harden, McLemore, Ponds
    PG: Westbrook, Rivers, Clemons

It looks like as of now the Rockets lack size at the starting PF and need another veteran 3-D forward defender. It would nice to trade for one seems extremely unlikely.

And then there is this mysterious ex-Rocket that is going to come to training camp that isn't Terrence Jones. But who?

No to Corey Brewer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm okay with Luc Mbah a Moute only if 100% healthy. Same for Iman Shumpert.

Ryan Anderson's 3 point shooting is not good enough to offset his abysmal defense.

Marquese Chriss would be nice if he actually utilized his talent correctly, put work on his 3 and D, and put effort into fitting in the system.

Carmelo Anthony...mmm...yeah...I doubt he is being considered in the slightest after last season.

I'm okay with the current Rockets. If Clark, Bennett, and/or Jones show(s) improvement it could be boost at PF the Rockets need.

D-rock, Aruba77 and BaselineFade like this.
  13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

The team rarely dropped off when he was inserted. His toughness and that elbow jumper are needed. If anyone remembers the final Clipper game, Nene and Faried to a lesser extent neutralized Trez and the rest of their front court for the first time all season. We dominated the paint and blew them out. We never saw the Nene/Faried combo again which puzzled me, considering how we were getting manhandled on the boards.

If he has anything left by the playoffs hopefully MDA will see fit to give him a few minutes to help set the tone and knock a few shots.

Btw does anyone know if Luc is healthy? If he's healthy he's the only old face that can guard elite wings/guards at an elite level. If he can pass a physical he's worth a look.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

What adjustments, playing Faried? Love the guy but dude cant defend at all. Only mistakes Mike made was not developing Gary..other than that, what did he have to work with?

15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I had no idea Mortons was part of the big Landry's/Nugget family. Morton's seems classier than my perception of Fertitta's hospitality offerings. My bad.

I just find it strange when an NBA player gives up 2+ million for seemingly no reason. If I found it weird when Westbrook did it, I'm certainly going to think it strange when a guy who's made an eighth of WB's earnings does it.

16. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Not that I disagree, but those two are two million year old

17. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Yea, Don Fredo Freditta Tilman bought Morton in 2012.

It's ironic that the Golden State Worriers celebrated their WCF wins by going to Morton for dinner to celebrate !

18. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Even when the Rockets lose, Tilman still wins:

"
    Draymond Green is apparently a fan of Morton’s The Steakhouse in Cleveland, Ohio. According to Anthony Slater of The Athletic, Green described his fond memories of Morton’s, where he’s frequented over the past few years.

“Feel like I spent half my Cleveland life at Morton’s at this point,” Draymond said. “We had good times, great food, great championship parties. I think the people at Morton’s like us more than they like the Cavs.”

After winning the championship in Cleveland 2015 and 2018, the Golden State Warriors got drunk celebrating at the arena first, and then pushed the afterparty over to Morton’s, racking up outrageous bills at the steakhouse, to the delight of the Houston Rockets owner, Tilman Fertitta."

D-rock likes this.
  19. Asian Sensation

Good signing. He’s our best perimeter defender as evidenced against the Warriors.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

You fools. It's obviously Papanikolaou.

Moahst and D-rock like this.