1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Future Legend PJ Tucker: “It’s time for my extension right now, so we’ll see."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Aug 21, 2019.

?

To extend or not to extend now?

1. Yes

67 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

in some ways it is better than paying for potential

BigMaloe, jeevinesh, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

you think pj be looking at eric gordon right now and be like "hay, were mine at doe?"

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he settles for a discount like EG did I'm sure Morey has an extension ready.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

You can't find "viable starter defensive players" on the cheap esp a guy who can defend sfs, pfs and still shoot a decent percentage from 3 like PJ Tucker. Tucker is a lot better than battier because his contributions are seen both in analytics and tangible stats, he isnt a "no stars allstar" like Battier Tucker contributes on the boards and 3 pts as well as his defense.

Try to make a list of viable starter quality 3nD players who can play pf and sf you wont find non rookie guys making less than 10M.

Concerns about Tucker's age are overblown, the dude is playing out of position at PF. When he gets too old for that at 36 you play him at SF and he can still contribute as a 3nD wing. Tucker doesnt rely on athleticism to be effective, he relies on his bball IQ and sharp decision making on the court as long as his extension doesnt make him overpaid the Rox should have no problem with that deal.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. TilmanFinancialWindfall

hell yea. PJ aboutz to get paid like Pay Day candy bar!!! 4 more years 4 more years!!!

Jontro likes this.
  6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

pj- gimme my max now

i love pj, i wish he was 4 years younger

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The term "no stat all stars" isn't literal - even Battier still put up tangible stats. The point was these are guys who are valuable to their teams like All Stars yet have stat lines that would never get someone in an all star game. Battier and PJ's stat lines as Rockets are nearly identical so PJ certainly fits the mold here. Watching PJ I'm always amazed how at the end of the game I'll look down at the stat sheet and see he had only 7pts, 4 rebounds, a steal, and an assist and yet seemed to be a positive part of the action of every key play in the game....and that's the point - their team loses if they don't put that effort out there yet they will never see any traditional awards because stats are normally the first qualifier for any recognition based award.

Once more - I like Tucker a lot as you seem to as well but you are just wrong about this: Players don't age into playing faster more dynamic players - if anything Tucker will age into playing more PF where the players are typically taller, but slower with less ability to take players one on one from the perimeter. We have already seen Tucker's lateral mobility slip a bit and that will only make it harder for him to continue guarding SFs. Agree with you that Tuck's game never relied on athleticism and that he will always have the advantage of defensive craft (and strength!) but in a way I guess it's a moot point because as long as Houston sticks to the switching scheme(BIG question with Coach B gone) opposing offenses will pick the matchups they want by a simple pick and roll.

Also, "as long as his extension doesnt make him overpaid the Rox should have no problem with that deal." is a pretty obvious statement - no one wants to overpay for anything. The real question is "define overpaid for Tucker". I personally think it depends on how much we "need" him. If Morey doesn't manage to get another decent 3 and D player on the roster, obviously we may have to overpay to retain him because we are sunk without him but I would prefer paying Tucker a little less and using some load management with another 3 and D player to keep Tucker fresh for when we need him. Its very much relative in my book.

MorningZippo and daywalker02 like this.
  8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I'd guarantee his final year and add 1 more. He's a bargain already and it would make him feel appreciated.

HP3 likes this.
  9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

1) you are severely underrating PJ’s athleticism, or you have an incomplete understanding of what athleticism means. Lateral quickness is the most important attribute in defenders, and PJ has it in Spades.

2) lateral quickness deteriorates before any other athletic attribute. PJ will be able to defend PF’s long after he can no longer defend SF’s.

All defense relies heavily on athleticism. It’s why the best perimeter defenders are almost never over 30. PJ is an exception because of less mileage, but he could break down at any time.

10. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

He’ll be 36 when his contract expires. Perfect time to get him on a cheap contract if he has anything left. Obviously, PJ wants one more big contract but his big pay day is behind him. Unfortunate the timing of his contract/age but he knew this when he signed it. Morey has him right where he wants him. No way Morey extends him.

GotGame15 likes this.
  11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

pj tucker might end up a trade deadline casualty talking like that! He needs to sit down somewhere!

12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

tucker disappointed in fiba with the bad ankle!

13. batkins

NBA players really overrate themselves in the summers when basketball isn’t being played. PJ will come back to earth when the season starts. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a role player asking for or getting a contract extension.

14. batkins

If he can’t do his job happily then Morey will happily trade him for someone who will.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

So you're saying Shane Battier and Bruce Bowen are more athletic than Vince Carter right? Because according to you all defense relies heavily on athleticism and everybody knows BB and SB are better defenders than VC ever was.

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The Rockets as a organization are being watched by players & their agents. If you have a guy like PJ, who's essentially the most durable guy in the NBA, one of the best locker room guys & flexible D&3 players choose us, and NOT pay him says a lot. Free agents already aren't coming here. This could make us look even worse

17. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

Looks like he’s upset about not getting an extension

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

How?

D-rock likes this.
  19. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Instagram post, he definitely wants money. needs to earn it tho

20. DaBeard

DaBeard Member