1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

When Verlander enters hall of fame

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by vonbock, Sep 1, 2019.

1. vonbock

vonbock Member

While the astros and rockets are trading away draft picks with dumb trades, the best trade ever in Houston was the Verlander trade. If we win the world series again, would he elect to enter hall of fame as an Astro?

2. BleedsRocketRed

While he's happy here and both the city and Justin embraced each other, he still considers Detroit to be his MLB home. It was his best years and longest tenured time there. Houston is more of the icing on his career cake so to say. I think he will without a doubt go into the HOF as a Tiger and its not even a question.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The hall makes the choice nowadays, correct?

It'll probably be more like a Drexler thing (Blazers/Rockets)... granted, Houston was Clyde's hometown, so he's pretty much synonymous with the Rockets post-retirement... even though his best years, and true HOF years, were in Portland.

I could see Verlander also generating a similar relationship with the city and this team post-retirement (whenever that may be)... he's constantly next to Hinch on his not start days. He's a stats geek/nerd at heart. I'm sure at some point he'll get the itch to consider managing/coaching. I also think the Astros ensure that he retires as an Astro if he wants to pitch past this contract (and is still effective).

4. Buck Turgidson

The player does not have a say in it, since the Wade Boggs fiasco. The HOF makes that call.

Who cares?

5. Nook

Nook Member

A Cy Young this year... another WS title and he has a really good chance of going in as an Astro; but nothing to worry about now.

vince likes this.
  6. BleedsRocketRed

I still dont see them putting him in as an Astro though. He played 12 HOF worthy seasons in Detroit and maybe 4 as an Astro?

7. Buck Turgidson

Ask Nolan Ryan about that.

I honestly don't know and don't care. But it should be Detroit unless something crazy happens here in Houston.

CometsWin likes this.
  8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel Detroit did us a solid. And for that reason I feel he should enter as a Tiger.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If Nolan can go in as a freaking Ranger then Verlander could certainly go in as an Astro. If he wins a Cy Young and we get another title I could definitely see it.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

I think the threshold will be one more title. 2 Championships, 1 Cy Young, that will be enough. I'm sure the player is consulted and they will ask Verlander for his input even if they make the final decision. Verlander loves Houston and his accomplishments are all here in Houston.

11. Buck Turgidson

Just stop it. Whatever you think you're doing, just stop it.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Take this with a grain of salt. but my wife's boss lives next to the Verlanders. Rumor is that he wants to return to Detroit after his Astros contract is up to finish his career.

vince likes this.
  13. likestohypeguy

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Kate is running this show. He probably won't be in Houston or Detroit when he retires. He's in new circles now and his eyes opened to a better life.

#14 PhiSlammaJamma, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  15. Nero

Nero Member

Dude says he wants to pitch until he's 45. If by some miracle he pitches here until he's 45, then yeah.

Houstunna likes this.
  16. vince

vince Member

Well it doesn’t surprise me. Justin Verlander never hid the fact he came to the Astros to win a championship(s). He’s already won one championship, pitched a no hitter, is on the verge of winning another Cy Young, and has the Astros primed for another title.

Nobody was willing to bet on Verlander, but the Astros were. Many figured he was just on the typical downward progression of a typical career. I bet the Yankees, Dodgers, etc. the other team he wanted to go to are kicking themselves for basically saying “no” to Verlander.

I figure Verlander will ride this ship till he can, and by the time he’s ready to go back to Detroit, The tiger will be good again.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Bill James has him at 6 years for the 300 wins. So he'll need to make it to 43ish to achieve his goal. The Astros will be faced with the exact same decision they had with Nolan Ryan. Except this time he should have two or three world series notches and a cy young.

18. msn

msn Member

vince and Houstunna like this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He’ll have a shot at additional championships and cy young awards this year and the future with the Astros. Just comes down to tenure.