1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

https://www.riversmccown.com/2019/08/31/the-reckoning-of-bill-obriens-power/

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

These moves feel like they're 95% BOB trying to save his job and 5% trying to do what is best for the organization.

This is the danger of having a coach be your GM. The GM is there to prevent the conflict of interest between the coach's desire for self preservation and the team's future.

As much as BOB sucks I can't really blame him here. This is Cal's fault.

But like I said in the other thread, I can at least see the positive side here in that they are actually doing something. Even though I have so little faith in BOB to turn these shiny new toys into a championship caliber team.

Gray_Jay and Major like this.
  3. plee

plee Member

How many future's do you want to wait for? You pretty much have your OL for 3-5 years, QB, WRs. Defense is probably the priority now...

TheFreak likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Cant wait until this dude gets run out of town and can't find a job where except at a directional college.

One of the most incompetent people to ever have power in all of sports.

This makes Millen in Detroit or Isaiah on the Knicks look like geniuses

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Let us not forget the fantastic (read ****) job Wes Unseld did with the Bullets.

6. Major

Major Member

24 hours ago, this team had one of the worst OLs in the NFL, and after adding 1 guy, we're all set for the next 3-5 years? Does this guy play all 5 positions at once?

Nook, Gray_Jay, Cannonball and 2 others like this.
  7. Stoli

Stoli Member

O'Brien is a hot head. Needs adult supervision in the front office. No business being GM. Has too high an opinion of himself. Needs to learn some humility. Or go back to college.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Hopefully the GM has the balls to fire BOB if the season spirals downward early

9. Stoli

Stoli Member

I laughed out loud at his one. What GM? Unfortunately, O'Brien had some sort of mental breakdown yesterday, and there is no one in the front office to intervene.

10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

If there is a slow start, I would love to see a reporter ask BOB a GM question... "Is your head coach on the hot seat?"

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Would be funny if he got fired this week.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

More quotes:

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No...but with Tunsil,Tytus, Scharping, Fulton/Martin, Henderson, and Kelemente, it is MUCH better than it was last season and better than it was at the start of camp.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. ktex

ktex Member

And Roderick Johson.

Rudyc281 and Mr.Scarface like this.
  15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Looks like BOB was in the "this off-season sucks" camp. This should make people here happy, but won't.

Obviously Gaine was too conservative for his tastes. Granato said Cal wanted Gaine gone b/c he didn't show him respect. You don't fire a GM after a year unless the owner wants it.

So, unhappy with the off-season, the GM gets fired. They try to hire a new one but bungle it. Note that the coach doesn't really want to be the GM, but there's no other option. He basically goes out and acquires all the guys he wants without much regard for the cost. I don't really think he's afraid of being fired, I just think he wanted to improve the team but grew impatient. Maybe a naive take, but I think if Crennel really wanted Clowney that they would've tried harder to keep him.

Torn n Frayed and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's funny but so many here were all "in Gaine we trust" after last year's overrated draft. Now that he is gone, everyone wants to dump on him. If you want to grade the two major trades Bill O Brien's GM tenure, then they are bad. They got robbed. But you're right, as long as long as Tunsil and Stills work out, most will be okay with the lack of draft picks. Some won't be as they still complained about losing the draft pick in the Watson trade. But most will. We can't sit here and celebrate the arrival of their new LT without the context of the past mistakes and the future lack of picks. Context matters. They put themselves in this situation. And forfeited a portion of their future to fix it. It's like the Osweiller trade. Sure we were glad he was gone but it cost the team. A year was wasted and a 2nd round pick was wasted.

Nook and Mr. Clutch like this.
  17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The jury's still out but it appears that Gaine's drafts weren't bad. He had no first round pick the first time but got Reid. Howard and Scharping may have promise. But he may have been either too conservative or incapable as far as making other transactions for the coach and/or owner. They acted quickly by getting rid of him and trying to hire a replacement. It didn't work out (I maintain that was a Cal call as much as anything). The coach got the guys he wanted but isn't a GM so he didn't get fair value. To me that's understandable b/c that's not his job, and there's no indication that he wants it to be his job. I'm just putting the pieces together based on what has happened. I would hope that they wouldn't negotiate with Tunsil until they have a new GM in place, but that's an ownership call I think.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It's worth pointing out that even with Tunsil, PFF had Miami last in their offensive line rankings due to how shitty their guards are.

19. Major

Major Member

That's really funny if you actually believe that.

Nook likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Why is "better" than "shitty" what we're striving for? Especially with what was given up for all of these people, and the resources left behind?

Nook likes this.