1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Signing Like or Not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Sep 1, 2019.

?

Do you like this extension?

1. Yes

224 vote(s)
    85.5%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Should of Traded Him

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Im Tired leave me Alone.

19 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

3 year 54.5 Mill

Rockets had to find a shooter they already had to mix with Westbrook + Harden.

Me personally(Please dont hate me) i like this, thou 18 Million? I dont know, to me i think Houston needed to focus on getting PF who could have outside shooting(Space the Floor), and SF, who could play defense, and maybe looking for a young stud in the draft.

So this makes Gordon your SG, and Harden your SF? Im down.

B-Bob likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Waiting on the poll of whether we like the Clowney trade, or not.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m down

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think there's nothing to not like in this extension. As today Gordon is our best perimeter defender, best/second best shooter, third best scorer...i'd take that for 16/17M per season anyday.

And btw, on paper the Rockets can still try to improve in another position if the right player/deal comes around, it's not like they need that third star that badly at this point, a solid role player would be good enough.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

??

No trading EGo this year for a 3rd “primary star”

Surely, that has put a damper on ‘holic’s pre-season drive for new subscriptions.

burlesk, D-rock, luckyman76 and 3 others like this.
  6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

If he plays like he did the last 2 months of the season, it's a bargain. If he gets in a snit, or starts missing big chunks of games, it's a millstone around the Rockets' necks.

I'm mildly annoyed by the extension, because it implies the Rockets looked around and decided they couldn't or wouldn't get better by bringing a better player in, so they decided to reward the players they already have. For example, Covington isn't coming here. Or Love, etc... This is it. Fair enough. I don't think the extension will prove onerous; it just means Gordon isn't the mild bargain he used to be.

It is interesting for Austin Rivers's situation though. The Rockets currently are not projected to be significant taxpayers next year, even with the extension, unless I really botched the math. They will be, if they give Rivers the large extension/new deal (32/4 ish) next year that I thought was likely.

fattz likes this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

I still like if he signs 3years 75 million.

There is no way tilman can compete with other owners next summer.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

There was no choice for Tilman. Extend him to the max or let him walk.

Here's hoping he doesn't go cold for a long streaks next season.

RyanB likes this.
  9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

its a reasonable contract...
    I think locking him up b4 he hits free agency was prob wise... we gotta retain bc we cant do any significant straight up signings for years to come...
    its all gonna come down to possible injury - as with most contracts... while id say odds are a little higher against EGo staying healthy than most...

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Honestly, I kinda dont like it, mainly because its 4 more years,yes i know they put the clause in there ,but if rockets do win the chip it will be mainly bcuz of harden and russ.When i look at gordon stats and play,hes really a one trick poney ,meaning hes a glorified 3 and D guy but at shooting guard ,yes hes really good at it .But hes not really good at playmaking/asist and doesnt drive in nor has the burst like he used to.And you basically paying a bench player almost 20 million. Keep in mind this year hes goin to be 31!I believe we have a high chance of winning the chip so he prob will get that 4th year ,Morey once again with these abysmal contracts,Lin pill ,Asik,ryno ,cp3 disaster ,now the Eg,ideally you give eg a 2 year extension at the most and if Rockets do win the chip after the season you have to trade him to not eat that 4th year.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Would rather have traded him for Small Forward (starter material)

fattz and RichieBanks like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t care at all about paying EG that 4th year if we win a title

we are paying 1 of the top 6th men in the league plus our 3rd scoring option average starter money...he’s not just some average bench dude...he can also have big games in the playoffs as he’s shown on numerous occasions

And what if he refuses a 2 year extension? Then u let him walk for nothing or look to trade him for something mediocre? It’s a 3 year deal, and if we win a chip, then who cares that his 4th year gets guaranteed. As long as he doesn’t start piling up injuries or fall off the map due to decline, then 3 years with a possible 4th if we win a title or he makes an ASG (not happening) is fine.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm cool with the extension.

They had to either extend him or trade him rather than him walking for nothing at seasons end.

The cost average is in the same ballpark as his current contract in terms of percentage of the cap - 10.5% to 11-13%.

Pretty good deal for both sides , assuming he stays healthy.

I think people really under appreciate what EG brings on the defensive end - He , along with Tucker are a big part of why they can hide Harden on 4's when they go small.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He earned it, and I'm all for keeping him here.

burlesk and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If he plays well and stays healthy I like it -- if he plays poorly and is constantly injured I don't like it.

AroundTheWorld and Rashmon like this.
  16. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

Anyone in this forum who doesn't like EG contract extension should just do as I say: go to DMorey's office and asked to see EG's contract extension. Don't leave that office until you get your hands on that contract. Once you have the contract in your hands, tear it into shred and walk out of the office. Don't worry about what might happen to you. You want satisfaction, you got it. Case closed.

RyanB likes this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Way to go out on a limb...lol

I like it. The three-headed monster of Harden-Westbrook-Gordon will be a nightmare for teams. Chandler provides legit backup minutes. If House/Clark take the next step in their development, double-plus good. I think Hartenstein may be ready to contribute in spots but the wild card will be if we can squeeze anything out of Bennett's untapped ability.

I know I'm a homer but I'm very pleased with where we are..

D-rock likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL you can't find a better player in a trade cost wise. Covington shot 30% from 3 the only time he made the playoffs, and this was in the LEAST, you know where the big boys DONT play. If you think EG's 18M can be a millstone what about Love's 28-31M? Dude makes EG look like an iron man healthwise. EG has never had a season ending injury as a Rocket, Love has had like 5 over the course of his career from broken arm, legs, shoulders etc. Both Love and Covington look great on paper and on NBA 2K but irl you realize they aren't as good as EG whose performance has already been proven time and time again against the best teams in the league and not vs some scrubs who are tanking or don't have a legit title shot.

How does EG's salary increasing a whopping 2M suddenly make him less of a bargain? Dude's your 3rd scorer, check what guys like Draymond Green, KLove, Kemba Walker, Paul Millsap, Tobias Harris and Mike Conley all make and EG is roughly as good as those guys. The only bonafide 3rd banana who has a similar deal to EG is Eric Bledsoe, and Bledsoe only got a good deal cuz he was maligned in PHX.

19. fattz

fattz Member

Big forward is the void, IMO. Tucker slides down to small forward or comes off the bench with starter’s minutes behind House and the new player.

20. vince

vince Member

Like it or not, the Rockets are kind of tied to this group, if you let them go it’ll be for an inferior supporting cast.

Eric Gordon while not a premier super star, compliments Hardens game so well. Gordon checks his ego, and will play with good Will where the coach puts him (starter/bench/SG/SF/PG)....

The alternative of letting him go for nothing, really doesn’t help, as the team is capped out, so other than cap relief, any replacement would be vastly inferior. And harden and Russel aren’t getting any younger, there is literally a 2 to 3 year window to get this title won... No time to play around with pennies... (well millions of dollar worth of them....lol)