1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seeking Some Clarity on Today's Moves [POLL]

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by theimpossibles1, Aug 31, 2019.

?

Overall was today a good or bad day for the Franchise?

1. Good day

28 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Bad day

78 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Neutral day

22 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. theimpossibles1

Lot of action today.
    *Lost Clowney for very little (I think).
    *Added a great OT and decent WR2 for two 1st rd picks and a 2nd rounder.
    *Added a couple other pieces in Hyde and Crossen.

I really don't know anything about Tunsil and overall don't follow NFL closely enough to have a firm opinion on today's moves.
    Would like to get some insight from more well versed members on today's moves.

What do yall think?
    My instinct says we got screwed on Clowney and gave up too much for Tunsil. I feel like we have cemented our mediocrity for the next couple years (and therefore BoB's job security) and then we will collapse terribly with our lack of draft picks. Am I wrong? I hope so because I really love our QB/WR combo (who wouldn't) and would hate to see it go to waste.

Nook and Rockets34Legend like this.
  2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

It was good in the sense that they are better today than they were 12 hrs ago.

The price was steep and the moves may have been shortsighted. It may also show why your HC should not be your GM. The GM tends to look at the big picture over a a longer timeframe...O'Brien is doing what he needs to do to salvage this season regardless of cost.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think they are a better team for this season... But moving forward i think we gave up a hell of alot and didnt get as much back for Clowney as we should have. Overall i say good day but if this season isnt a great one it will have been for nothing.

csj likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

The offense is better but the defense is worse

Nook and Silent_Bob like this.
  5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

meh

Nook and BigM like this.
  6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Interesting day. I’m still trying to process it, but I think they are a better team right now than they were this morning. The Tunsil trade makes the Clowney move make a little more sense. Ballsy. They may have mortgaged the future a bit, but at least now I can see the end game. I’m going neutral, too early to say if it was good or bad, but it was ballsy!

raining threes likes this.
  7. Mr. Space City

The Texans went from a below average team, to an above average team at best, while also making it hard to improve the team through the draft moving forward.

So I guess neutral.

red5rocket likes this.
  8. csj

csj Member

Not really. Clowney was already lost; arguably the defense improved.

TheFreak likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOST
    Jadeveon Clowney
    a first round pick
    a(nother) first round pick
    a second round pick

and all they got was Laremy Tunsil?!
    *and a few other guys who were going to be cut.

GOOD DAMN!

#9 J.R., Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Richie_Rich likes this.
  10. Mattician

Mattician Member

I'm glad Watson should have better protection and another weapon. Even though I don't like giving up that much.

But nothing will make up for that horrible Clowney trade.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Did our schedule change? We’re better than yesterday but a 2nd place finish to the Jags with no picks until the 3rd round next year is going to be way more brutal.

We went from mediocre to less mediocre with even less future assets. Ouch.

Prove me wrong Texans.

Mr. Space City and arkoe like this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's a neutral day until they win something meaningful.

They took steps to address their needs and payed a really steep price for it.

I'm glad they're at least *doing something* though.

Wattafan and TheFreak like this.
  13. sanedolt

sanedolt Member

Considering whether Andre Dillard was drafted, there is definitely a bad day.

But this is a day in the right direction to remove BOB from the franchise.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

About the dumbest pair of transactions I’ve seen in a while.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

They went from 7-9 to 8-8

16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Looking at it as an integrated day is the trap BoB wants us to fall into.

The Tunsil deal was ridiculously expensive, but it improved the team in the near term - there are pro's and con's.

But the Clowney deal was 100% independent of Tunsil and was a straight loss. It is entirely inconsistent with the 'win now' mentality behind the Tunsil deal -- Bill let his emotions get the better of him in both cases, but with very different emotions (desire to win at all costs with Tunsil, desire to put a player in his place with Clowney).

It's shows a lack of strategic thinking. If you want to 'win now', keep Clowney. If you want to preserve financial flexibility, keep your future picks. Don't do two inconsistent deals simultaneously and pretend it is a package deal.

Kim, theimpossibles1 and arkoe like this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It was easy to predict that O'Brien the GM was going to suck just as much as O'Brien the head coach.

18. Texanstradamus

Larmey tunsil is 25 years I would be heated if it was for injury prone 31 yr old Williams

No Worries and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. csj

csj Member

That would be one way to view it...a way attractive to those that wish to trash O'Brien at every opportunity.

Another way to spin it is that the team made the best of the situation and tried to accommodate Clowney's wishes. It looks like a lopsided trade and one that most definitely does not represent putting Clowney "in his place". To me, and likely everyone, it looks like a poor trade for the Texans and a good one for Clowney, definitely not the way you spin it.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'll preface this post by saying I'm a very optimistic Texans fan. I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

But today was a good day, no matter what type of fan you are.

Today was a definitive first day in Bill O'Brien putting his fingerprints on the franchise for better or worse.

It was the first day that showed a fruitfulness, be it sweet or rotten, to the Bill O'Brien The Dictator phase.

Why's the good?

In one sense the team is definitely better. This team will no longer be built through defense. The old addage "defense wins championships" has been proven false the last ten years or so. The Texans were stuck in the old days, and today we've birdt through that. F*** that. Offense and a decent defense wins championships. I like that today shows that we finally realize that.

This offense should be pretty potent. I honestly think we can be Chiefs-potent. We've proven for the last ten years that we can't beat the Patriots and any of the other heavyweights by holding them to 15 points. It's about time we're going to try and outscore them.

Yes, we lost a lot of picks. You know what though? I think we're going to use some of that cap next year. I think there's been a lot of smoke with Jalen Ramsey. Can we snag him? If we can, and we can get two other good players with our cap space, we've essentially negated those picks.

Today, to me, reeks of Bellicheckian-ism(?). You've got a franchise, protect him at all costs. If a superstar doesn't want to play fairly, fine, we'll find someone else. Look at Brady - he's never been the highest paid guy in the league. I don't necessarily condone it, but I see what O'Brien is doing.

Today was a good day. We went from a bottom three offensive line, to potentially a top 12-15 offensive line. I wish we had gotten Justin Britt in the Clowney deal. That would have made it a great day.

And even if you hated today, it was still a good day. Why? Because today was Bill O'Brien's baby. Based off today, he either cemented his status as head coach for the next ten years, or the next ten weeks, in my opinion. If you hate today, fear not. Of it fails, we'll get a new regime -albeit, with less draft picks, but with plenty of money to spend.

BigShasta and Rudyc281 like this.