1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Tigers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

Wait, really?

Joe Joe likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Eh - deep relief in the playoffs is basically just the inning eater version of the same thing. It's just people to throw out there when you don't care too much about the results and just want to save all your good players. There's a good chance one or both aren't even on the playoff roster if the Astros manage to get healthy, and they are not likely going to be used any differently than Sneed or whomever else would be the person in that same roster spot if they weren't here.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I could see them hoping that they caught lightening in a bottle and Sanchez could give us innings if one of our starters got rocked early.

That said, I hardly think they were counting on that. Especially once they got Greinke

4. Buck Turgidson

I thought it was just innings in the pen and some as the 5th starter? ****, even that plan didn't work out so well

5. King1

He's got really good stuff so I could understand the perspective that had he righted the ship with Strom him having a shot at the postseason roster. No question he was supposed to be a 5th starter/innings eater for the regular season but like you said that went south really quick after the first two starts.

I do think that he has a chance to contribute next season.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. Buck Turgidson

That's a wonderful terrible movie, but it's not helping the Astros right now.

Surfguy likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Can we really count on using starters, good starters, as relievers, like what happened in '17?

eta: Admittedly, I'm thinking more about October.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not only is it not helping the Astros right now but whatever relief pitcher fits that profile...it still wouldn’t end well. lol

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I see it the same way, I don't think either of them were obtained for this year. We all know that the stros are going to lose some starters next year and then a year after that. It is good to try to get someone in early and evaluate them so you know if you have something for next year. Even Verlander really starting incorporating some of the stuff he learned with the Astros in the year following the trade

King1 likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

You don't think one of the relievers whispers to the ball in his glove (I'm guessing Harris), before he throws it: "say hello to my little friend?"

I would absolutely do that. Every****ingtime.

12. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Yanks lost. Astros 1 game behind them and own the tie-breaker. Yesterday lost still sting.

13. King1

Exactly and Sanchez will have the benefit of learning from Verlander and Greinke moving forward. It was a no risk high reward move on our end as Fisher was never going to be more than a pinch runner and we have that in Straw.

Biagini was needed as our bullpen has been either overuseo, injured or both. Really wish we could have had a better outing out of him today. Osuna should have never been in the game to begin with

14. King1

Dodgers are losing too.

15. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

This dodgers team has a knack for late innings comeback.

Uprising likes this.
  16. King1

And they scored 3 in the bottom of the 9th. It's seems like they walk off every other game

17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

You had to say it, didn’t you... they remind me of the Rangers three years ago.

King1 and AznH-TownFan like this.
  18. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

Well that was too close, game day made me think it was a rather routine catch to end the game. Not entirely sure it would have cleared the fence but glad reddick was there to save the runs.

19. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Haha. I said it after they scored 2 runs to tied the game. But seriously, every time I watch them play, they find a way to score late to win a game. But hey, I’ll be rooting for LAD for beat up Yanks this weekend.

20. King1

I hadn't even seen that yet at the time of your post. I was under the assumption it was still 2-0 lol. It sure would be nice to get in front of the Yankees. This team needs some momentum

AznH-TownFan likes this.