1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Wk 2] Lions at Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 17, 2019.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Very much doubt he gets fired but I get your point.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

*Watson was throwing the ball before guys were out of there break and this game was the first time I’ve seen that level of consistently from him.

*Roderick Johnson stonewalled his man consistently. Something tells me he’s your Week 1 starter.

*Johnson and V Smith were beating there man off the break routinely. They are making this team with Keke and Fullers injury history.

Warring is getting IR’ed. Jordan’s and fells making the 53 in my opinion.

Uprising likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I hate that I'm rooting for Kahlil to get hurt so that Johnson or Howard start. Addition by subtraction.

Any news on Howard?

macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

See this as BoB not wanting to name Johnson a starter at this point. Can’t tell me Kalil is still on track to start after the horrible practice report on Monday followed by consecutive days off and not playing in the preseason game when almost all of your starters were out there.

7. CrazyJoeDavola

I tried to focus on Johnson. Seemed quite competent on pass blocking. Run blocking appeared to be suspect.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Good deal.

Although the one thing I don't like with Howard from last night was hand placement. He needs to get better with his hands, and more consistent overall.

10. TheBrownDude

TheBrownDude Member

Kalil/Johnson starter situation is going to be like the Savage/Watson situation. I can feel it

Texanstradamus likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think at least one of Howard, Mancz, and Martin starts on IR or PUP.

12. gucci888

Don’t think a broken finger lands Howard on either but wouldn’t surprise me if Mancz ends up on IR. BoB said Martin will be back this week so we’ll see.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

He's definitely going to have some tough decision to make. If Martin comes back at center, I presume Fulton moves back to RG and Scharping to the bench. You want to have your staring line play some snaps together before the season begins (continuity is important) so if Tytus can't go this week, who starts at LG? Rankin and Kelemete are the only others that have played that position on this team, I think. Do you move Fulton to LG and Scharping at RG? Do you start Kelemete?
    Then there's the decision between Kalil and Johnson. Who do you go with?
    Who's your swing tackle? They need someone who can play both tackle spots; I haven't heard anyone who has been practicing both RT and LT. Maybe Davenport.
    The starting line against the Cowboys will tell us a lot. Their performance together will tell us even more.

#73 Nimo, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Uprising likes this.
  14. Texanstradamus

I get everyone is negative but this what I’ve been saying his first offseason as the starter no rehab if he takes the next step season should be really fun

Uprising likes this.
  15. gucci888

With all the injuries and shifting around BoB has done, I think you almost have to throw continuity out the window and just get your best starting 5 out there. I'm guessing Howard sits out this 3rd preseason game which is a shame but if he can go vs. the Saints, think you have to give it a shot. The big question mark (outside of LT) is Martin IMO. He's got 3 weeks and one preseason game (I actually doubt he plays even if he practices this week) to get things back going.

The starting OL vs the Saints looked pretty good and was hoping we'd see them try to build off of that. But if Martin is back, I hope we see something like:

LT: Johnson - Kalil
    LG: Howard - Kelemente
    C: Martin - Mancz
    RG: Fulton - Sharping
    RT: Henderson - Kelemete

Question will be Rankin vs. Davenport for that 10th spot, if there is one.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Are we sure Nick Martin is that good? Fulton at C has shown up pretty well so far this preseason.

raining threes likes this.
  17. gucci888

I don't think he is but not expecting BoB to make that call.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

That's a shame. The best offensive line groups have some sort of continuity at least for the starters. At least they try to stick with the same center; it's just the wrong center. They've created a situation where they have so many G/C (Martin, Fulton, Mancz, Rankin, Kelemete) who are better at C. If the game ever changed where all five offensive lineman played center, the Texans would be set lol.

The biggest question I have about that depth chart is RT. Have we ever seen Kelemete play RT. I thought he was a G/C like the others. The swing tackle will be the backup for both tackle positions. Having Howard and Scharping at G gives them their fourth option at tackle. My prediction, if Howard and Martin are ready to go in week 1, is:

LT: Johnson/Kalil/Howard
    LG: Howard/Kelemete/Rankin
    C: Martin/Mancz/Fulton
    RG: Fulton/Scharping/Mancz
    RT: Henderson/Scharping/Rankin

That's 10. I don't think they keep Davenport if they keep Kalil, Johnson, and Howard. If Kalil gets cut then Davenport has a shot. Rankin has a better chance of making it because of his ability to play multiple positions on the line.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

OK it looks like they're also playing some Tytus at RT

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm going to be a bit of an armchair coach here and say that I don't like the idea of moving Howard all over the line. If you wanna do it a little and see where he's best at -- guard vs tackle, left vs right -- that's fine.

But then pick a spot and try to develop him there at least for this year. I just think that for what we've heard is a raw, undeveloped talent that moving him around too much isn't going to do any good.