1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Hearing Jalen Green is covering CJ9 about as well as can be expected for a RS freshman in practice. Safeties have also performed well. CB2 and rotation/depth will be more of a question mark early on. I think the defense is going to be very good by the time we roll into the Cotton Bowl.

gucci888 likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Herman and company doing work this summer. Picked up 2 big commits in 4* S Xavion Alford yesterday and then 4* WR Quentin Johnston this morning.

Turbo likes this.
  3. gucci888

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

6. Major

Major Member

Sad story. He was an amazing player, though sadly I remember him most for getting arrested for stealing his own TV.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Crazy seeing people die young, especially when you've somewhat followed their life.

RIP Cedric

tinman, raining threes and UTSA2step like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saw the footage. Pretty scary to be motorcycling on 2222

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I drive by the accident site every day on the way to work and could see a large, scorched section of the pavement this morning. Very sad and eery. This particular section of Mt. Bonnell Rd. emerges from the neighborhood into a valley between two hills on 2222. I often see people waiting to make an unprotected left onto 2222 and imagine that's what the driver of the van was trying to do at night with very low visibility. Since Benson was probably speeding from one of the nearby hill crests, she likely would've had very little time to avoid him.

tinman likes this.
  10. Hustle Town

Preseason top 10...

Brando2101 and tinman like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude, back in the day, a plasma TV was super expensive.
    I'd steal my TV back too.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

1431 from North Austin through Lago Vista and the Balcones to Marble Falls is probably the worst I've seen. I'll drive it on Tues-Thurs mornings.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Hard to believe OU is #4 with all their loses to the draft. Starting QB and 4 offensive linemen but I guess these pre-season ratings are made up anyway.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What are the chances against LSU? That could set up the biggest OU game in a long time.

15. Buck Turgidson

Honestly, who knows?

Our defense is smallish but fast as hell, how does that match up? Our O should be able to move the ball. I haven't read much of anything about LSU yet.

16. gucci888

Mack on Cedric in the first 2 minutes. Nicely done.

UTSA2step likes this.
  17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Anyone else going to try and watch some N. Carolina games this year? I’d like to see Mack win.

gucci888 likes this.
  18. Hustle Town

I think OU will take a step back. As good as Hurts is, he's not leading an all-time offense like Baker and Murray did. They have young talent on the OL, but it will take some time to be cohesive. Grinch seems like a good hire. We'll see how quickly he can turn it around. They should be better on defense, but he isn't exactly working with the talent the offense is. We match up well - Texas beats OU twice this year.

Our defense is talented but young. There will be some growing pains for the CBs and LBs, even if they (CBs especially) end up being better long term. DL depth is much better than it has been in previous years. The LSU game is made even tougher by the fact that it's early season, but we're at home and the offense should be more explosive than last year. LSU has a strong defense, especially at safety and LB.

Names to know on defense: Grant Delpit (S), Rashard Lawrence (DE), K'Lavon Chaisson (LB; UT recruited), Kristian Fulton (CB)
    Offense: Joe Burrow (QB), John Emery (RB; freshman - 2019 5 star recruit), Lloyd Cushenberry III (C), Damien Lewis (OG), Justin Jefferson (WR)

Despite having two great interior offensive linemen, LSU has serious depth concerns on the OL, especially at tackle. Additionally, several of the guys listed above as key players have had bumps and bruises during camp. LSU fans seem to think Joe Burrow can go toe-to-toe with Ehlinger, but I don't see it. We will likely see Sam used in the running game more in the big games given the advantage it provides against teams like LSU (see Sugar Bowl) and OU. LSU plays a lot of man defense, which should be advantageous for power running and draw plays. Having an elite game manager (not meant as an insult in this context) is a huge plus in big games.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Absolutely. One of my best buddies is a Tar Heel, mostly basketball fan, but we're both very interested to see what ol' Mack can do.

If nothing else, his press conferences are fun to listen to.

20. Hustle Town

Captains: Sam Ehlinger, Zach Shackelford, Collin Johnson, Brandon Jones, Malcolm Roach

Finally our captains are actually some of our best and most important players.

#11840 Hustle Town, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    gucci888 likes this.