1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trent Williams Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Jul 31, 2019.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U dont seem to understand the word efficient and u shouldnt outright ignore it when judging a team.
    Efficient: achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense.

The texans are opposite of this, we force a sht ton of attempts with one of the shttiest oline = we arent efficiently running the ball.
    How can u consider Texans a good running team if they are inefficiently doing it with your reasoning as number of victories and amount of yards? Effiency might not be the sole attribution to how good a "run team" is but to outright ignore it is just asinine

Honestly to me,
    Its sound like u r saying a qb that throws 5 picks, sht ton of yards, and can get u wins = good qb.

U seem to ignore the negatives, laud the positives, and only focus on overall outcome to judge if something is good or not.

2. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Actually, overall outcome is probably the best way to judge success.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Debatable.
    We got sht on in playoffs = we arent a good team
    Or
    11-5 overall record = we r a good team.

Just bc overall outcome is positive doesnt mean u outright ignore the negatives. Overall outcome is a total combination of things.

A qb throws 3 picks consistently and his team still wins, it didnt mean that hes a good qb. It could b he had a monstrous defense or great special teams.
    Poster i responded 2 outright ignore efficiency and honestly believed that our teams rushing strat is good bc of victories and amounts of yards.

Using his logic our oline is great since we wom division title with that group.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Here is how number of wins MIGHT (key word, not saying it’s at play here) be relevant- teams that win more may often be running to protect leads, when the other team expects them to be. This could increase attempts and hurt efficiency.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

True, but Blue also accounted for a third of their attempts and he’s the one who really brought down the ypc. I’m not sure that’s a huge negative against the line as he’s likely not very good.

6. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Or, "went went 12-1 and won our bowl, or we went 72-10 and won the championship." But I get ya.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Arent u going bring up BoB massive overall record of when his team is leading at halftime? His record is the total opposite if hes behind. A good coach/good run team is able to perform in both situation sadly it aint tru.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They can't force players to take their money. They also can't spend it irresponsibly. Dumping more than $66MM in Trent Brown's lap - a player the 49ers traded just a year earlier for a mid-round pick and who is now slotted to not play left tackle despite being paid like a left tackle - is irresponsible.

9. raining threes

Irresponsible is sitting on cap space while your franchise QB who's already had two ACL surgeries gets beat half to death. If they cant get top tier players to take their money with guys like Watson, Hopkins, Watt, Clowney on the team then they should fire everybody and sell the team. This is another false narrative, the Texans never spend top dollar on top tier FA's. They offer just enough to say we gave it our best shot and got turned down. This happens every year, surely you can see a pattern in how the Texans org does business.

10. Hey Now!

Not throwing money irresponsibly at over-priced free agents is... well, it's not a bad thing. And the Texans have spent money. Again, they haven't spent money *wisely* - but they have spent it.

11. raining threes

Spending $$$$ to protect your QB is spending it wisely.

BTW, Brown would be looked upon as a huge upgrade at LT right now.

Who other than Os have they spent top $$$$ in FA on?

12. Hey Now!

Not necessarily. In fact, spending it irresponsibly while not upgrading his protection is worst-case scenario.

He can't beat out a second-year player that ranked 67th out of 70 tackles last year. But, sure....

Since 2016, Osweiler, Miller, Allen, Colvin, Fulton, Mathieu, Gipson...[/QUOTE]

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Probably. But then again, Gruden is playing him at RT electing to keep 2nd year player Kolton Miller at LT, who was absolutely terrible there last season.

Hey Now! likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

[/QUOTE]
    Don’t blame the Texans at all for not paying Trent Brown or Soldier. In fact, I applaud them. However, it Trent Williams is ultimately traded to anyone other than the Texans, I will officially be on this front office sucks bandwagon.

Hey Now! likes this.
  15. raining threes

A 1st rd rookie pick who was baptized by fire last yr and should be much better this yr. Gruden unlike BOB tries to put his guys where they are most comfortable and leaves them there to let them learn the pro game.

16. raining threes

Don’t blame the Texans at all for not paying Trent Brown or Soldier. In fact, I applaud them. However, it Trent Williams is ultimately traded to anyone other than the Texans, I will officially be on this front office sucks bandwagon.[/QUOTE]

Why? Solder and Brown are over paid this is true. But when you draft OL as badly as the Texans have you need to pay up for those mistakes so you can protect your franchise QB. Give me an over pay and a 25 year old Brown over an always injured Kalil or a small school rookie like Howard to protect DW4's blindside.

Do you think a 25 year old Brown can improve? He's already got a ring. If Watson gets hurt because of terrible LT play you will wish they spent the money on Brown, even if they overpay because without DW4 nothing else they do matters.

17. raining threes

[/QUOTE]

He would be an upgrade over what they currently have. Also like I said above Gruden lets guys play the position they're most comfortable at, unlike BOB This isn't a Miller vs Brown thing. This is a what's best for the OL as a whole thing. BTW, Watch and see, the Raiders OL is going to be much improved this year. Right now I think Brown is a better LT than Miller but Miller has played LT in college/pros. Brown has played both OT spots and some OG early in his career. Dude moves well for such a big man and like I said, at 25 his best football should be ahead of him.

Out of the guys you listed how many of those guys were considered top tier FA's? Be honest now, those were middle of the pack guys that the Texans org over paid. None of them were considered the best FA at their position like Brown was. None of them have the playoff experience Brown has. You have to over pay for those type of guys.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Why? Solder and Brown are over paid this is true. But when you draft OL as badly as the Texans have you need to pay up for those mistakes so you can protect your franchise QB. Give me an over pay and a 25 year old Brown over an always injured Kalil or a small school rookie like Howard to protect DW4's blindside.

Do you think a 25 year old Brown can improve? He's already got a ring. If Watson gets hurt because of terrible LT play you will wish they spent the money on Brown, even if they overpay because without DW4 nothing else they do matters.[/QUOTE]

I predict Brown finds the bench this year. I’d rather have Howard and Broderick. Both Brown and Soldier sucked last year. You would not only have overpaid for them last year you would be stuck with them for 3 more years. Panic driven signings are rarely a good idea. I am not an apologist for the Texans. Just think their opportunities for signing a solid LT until Trent Williams (maybe) have not been available. I think they hit on their two ol draft picks this year, just maybe not at LT. We will see. By the way, Bill O’Brien is a moron with an ego. What a combination.

19. raining threes

I predict Brown finds the bench this year. I’d rather have Howard and Broderick. Both Brown and Soldier sucked last year. You would not only have overpaid for them last year you would be stuck with them for 3 more years. Panic driven signings are rarely a good idea. I am not an apologist for the Texans. Just think their opportunities for signing a solid LT until Trent Williams (maybe) have not been available. I think they hit on their two ol draft picks this year, just maybe not at LT. We will see. By the way, Bill O’Brien is a moron with an ego. What a combination.[/QUOTE]

First of all starting LT's on SB winning teams dont suck.

You want a guy the Browns cut when they sucked and a rookie that almost got Webb killed in a PRESEASON game angainst the terrible Lions defense. Good luck with that. I cant wait to see what Jordan does to Howard in Superdome with that crowd on opening night. This is why Howard will be starting at LG. Roderick appears to have worked real hard this off season and that's a good thing. But pardon me if I dont get all excited about his play against the Lions in a preseason game. There's a reason fans are all gaga over Johnson, the LT play has been putrid the last 2 seasons and Johnson looked at least competent. BUT IT"S ONLY PRESEASON

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We’d be crucifying BoB if we signed Trent Brown and put him at RT. Miller was a 1st round pick and he should improve like you said. But imagine getting even worse play from Davenport last season and BoB electing to start him at LT instead of Brown.

Hey Now! and raining threes like this.