1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else still high on Clint Capela?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jun 25, 2019.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If it were that easy then anyone could do it; and few can. Give the man, the men, credit. Sheesh, ridiculous.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Check basketball ref and NBA play type stats.

It’s all there.
    Specifically, roll ppp dropped from 1.3 to 1.1 ppp.

He allowed 58% at rim as compared to 56% year prior.

No matter how you quantify rim protection, he has never been a top 10 protector.

You tell me what stats are important to you, I’ll show you where to find it, because I’m not about to get into a philosophical debate about what is the best measure of a rim protector.

3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

To be clear, I want Capela to succeed, because replacing him will be hard. You’re either going to get 60-70% of his production on the cheap, or pay a full max to improve. But he has a lot of room to get better and needs to improve mentally.

We need better rebounding, better defense, a stronger roll game, and a backup offensive move when the roll is sealed off

4. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

without harden and cp3, his stats likes a normal player. I suggest to sign minimum for Howard. If we have money, we can trade Marc Gasol for the center. Iggy is a must, but we have to wait his buyout. We still need one more point who can.contribute stable 20+ score. I dont think we can beat bucks with existing players. We need a guy who can guard Gianns.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

He was really sick during the playoffs. Sometimes it takes a month or two to fully recover from a serious virus infection. I say he gets a do over.

darksoul35 and BMoney like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Makes sense we employ a switching offense.

How does 58% to 56% signify a drop from above average to below average?

biff17 likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

If we want better rebounding and defense then we need to change our systems. It’s get tiresome telling people we don’t use centers in the traditional defensive sense.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think it’s more to do with the rebounding talent rather than our system.

We were a top rebounding team in 17/18 when we had better wings who boxed out and hit the glass. Ariza and Luc really helped a lot.

Now if you wanna say the only way we can improve rebounding with the current roster is less switching with our bigs you may be right.

bulkatron and HP3 like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Same thing. :)

It all stems from having this traditional mindset regarding centers in the context of my response you quoted.

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Except he’s been better in our system

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He had some saving graces in other stats like points saved, but he’s never been an elite rim protector.

12. biff17

biff17 Member

How many rim protectors are asked to routinely guard on the perimeter?

Who are these top ten rim protectors?

13. biff17

biff17 Member

what other systems has he played in consistently?

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm saying he posted better stats in 17-18 in the same switching system. I am arguing that he has not improved year-to-year if you consider 18-19, where he regressed across the board in terms of offensive, defensive, and rebounding efficiency.

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

"Rim protection" refers to FG% within 3-6 feet of the rim, depending on where you decide to make the cutoff. If you want to look at him as a perimeter defender too, that's fine - but he wasn't really excellent in that regard either. To your point, most aren't. There are guys like Draymond who are excellent rim protectors, perimeter defenders, and isolation/switch defenders. No true C's who can do that.

I'm not sure how you view Clint. The way you defend him, you act like he's playing like an All-Star. Overall, he's an above average two way player who can benefit a lot from a little post versatility, better defensive awareness around the rim, and better rebounding fundamentals.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I expect Capela to eat this season with WB on board

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

Hoping TC can have a positive influence on Capela and teach him a thing or two.

ak99999 likes this.
  18. biff17

biff17 Member

I understand what time protection means.

There is a huge difference when a team switches with there C or when a team drops the C back.

It's the difference between chasing a guy and the guy going through you.

So simply using rim protecting stats are not equally telling about a players ability.

If a player is always around the rim defensively of course he is gonna have a better percentage.

I don't think he is a all star what I am doing is pointing out a statistic that you are using that does not give a good account of what centers are asked to do.

And why does this 2% drop make such a difference?

Yes he can get better but he did improve last year as well just because he was impactful while playing more minutes.

19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Rockets have the worst Power Forward and Center Combo come playoffs time!

Lakers have LeBron, Davis, Kuzma/Boogie
    Nuggets have Milsap, Jokic, Porter Jr and Grant
    Rockets have Tucker, Capela, Clark and Chandler

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance