1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy brothers now BOTH working at ESPN (not confirmed)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by diehardNFFL, Sep 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php...-espn-is-lying-thats-a-bunch-of-bs-from-espn/

Here's what SVG has to say about this situation:
    May God have mercy on his soul. David Stern certainly won't.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

the good news, he couldn't care less about Stern right now. He didn't care much before, but now we can expect some juicy quotes.

I just wonder who will have enough balls to hire him as a coach. There isn't an opening every day, and not every owner will do it. He may have to coach college. Or join some other network that's not going to compete for the next NBA media contract.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jalen Rose gets Stan's spot. :p

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Talk about a downgrade.

Jalen Rose may not be Jon Barry bad, but he's still pretty bad.

That lineup in general just doesn't look good at all. Simmons will probably try to be too funny and thus end up talking mostly stupid nonsense. Magic is terrible. Wilbon and Rose... ehhh.

Had they hired SVG I might have tuned in every now and then. Without him I don't expect it to be any better than before.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stan Van Gundy buries ugly history to join ESPN

Stan Van Gundy is going from ripping ESPN to joining it.

Van Gundy, who threatened to boycott the network last season, will be a studio analyst across the network’s array of shows, sources have told The Post.

January was not the first time he had been involved in a controversy with the network. Six years ago Van Gundy was nearly on ESPN’s air, but things fell apart, because in Van Gundy’s eyes, then commissioner David Stern, put the kibosh on the deal due to Van Gundy’s outspoken nature. At the time, Van Gundy said ESPN lied.

Now, Van Gundy will be joining ESPN, though, considering how it went last time, it should be noted he not yet signed his contract. Van Gundy’s brother, Jeff, is on ESPN’s top NBA broadcast team with Mike Breen and Mark Jackson.

With the Pistons, Van Gundy, 59, threatened to boycott ESPN after one of their reporters wrote a story in which LaVar Ball ripped Lakers coach Luke Walton. Lavar’s son Lonzo plays for the Lakers and the father suggested that Walton had lost the team.

“I thought it was a cheap shot and I thought ESPN showed total disrespect,” Van Gundy said. “I don’t have a problem with LaVar Ball. He’s a grown man. He can voice whatever opinion he wants. I got a problem with ESPN deciding that’s a story.”

At the time, Van Gundy threatened not to participate in interviews with ESPN. Now, he will talk on ESPN all the time.

Stan thought he was going to ESPN in 2012, but the network backed out of the perceived deal and released a statement that cited issues in the final stages of negotiating. Stan clearly thought it was Stern who blocked his path to Bristol.

“No one at ESPN will tell us what happened,” Van Gundy said on Dan Le Batard’s Miami radio show at the time, according to a transcript by The Big Lead.

“Certainly the NBA office isn’t going to tell us what happened. One of the quotes from ESPN in there – we had discussions, but couldn’t agree on a role … as is usual, that’s a bunch of BS from ESPN. We actually did agree on a role, but then they came back and pulled that. That’s when we knew something was up.”

Van Gundy went on to say, “What I find fascinating … you have to give David Stern and the NBA a lot of credit … ESPN pays the league, and then the league tells them what to do. It’s more ESPN’s problem. You gotta have no balls whatsoever to pay someone hundreds of millions of dollars and let them run your business.

“Just say what happened. Who cares? Who cares if I’m on there or not. Just come out and say this is what we decided and why … [ESPN’s quote] that’s just a flat out lie. Why would you do that? I don’t understand. We agreed on something, you changed your mind and pulled the offer. Don’t say we couldn’t come to an agreement. We did.”

Well, now ESPN has Van Gundy again and it appears SVG will make it to air this time.

Deuce likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They gonna get the VG brothers for a TV game telecast. They have to.

hakeem94 and GermanRoxFan like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I cringe whenever I imagine hearing SVG's scratching voice. But I'd prefer him over the likes of Reggie Miller and Jon Barry.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jeff and Stan will soon be joined at ESPN by their brother Thibs Van Gundy

Jontro, hakeem94, hieuytran and 4 others like this.
  9. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94, Easy and Sajan like this.
  10. esketit

esketit Member

Stan should start reviewing cheeseburgers for barstool sparts

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Maybe ESPN feels that they must always have a Van Gundy on their team of broadcasters, that group with their various and sundry ESPN duties, some of those duties impossible to discern even while watching them on air. My question is, why? Is Jeff, the iconic former coach of the Rockets and Brother of Stan, thinking of leaving that network for a return gig in the NBA? Could he conceivably be in line to be an associate head coach with the defensive schemes of the Rockets in his eager hands? I have no idea, but I like the idea.

Stan would be a Van Gundy replacement, making an attempt at giving that Van Gundy Glow that's present whenever Jeff is covering a league game, an emanation we have all experienced at one time or another, that distinctive voice giving a hint of what NBA broadcasting once was, what it could be, and what it should be, if it's talent (such as it is) were unleashed. Is Stan even close to being an adequate stand-in, capable of a Van Gundy Glimmer, if not the Van Gundy Glow? I am skeptical. Very skeptical. Time will reveal all, or nothing.

Plowman and Easy like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stan Van Gundy To Leave ESPN To Become Game Analyst For TNT

Stan Van Gundy is on the verge of leaving ESPN for TNT to become one of their leading game analysts.

Van Gundy mostly appeared on studio shows while with ESPN.

TNT typically has a three-man booth for the conference finals, with Chris Webber and Reggie Miller joining Marv Albert in recent years.

Jeff Van Gundy is ESPN's lead game analyst alongside Mark Jackson.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Well can’t be worse than Reggie and Webber! Hope he becomes their man with Harlan :)

14. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Kick Ernie and The Clown Show to the curb. New halftime show is SVG, the big screen and a grab bag of uppers.

[​IMG]

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If that happens, please make them wear Mario and Luigi costumes. If only to see Jeff's eyes deaden at the spectacle.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

God, why can’t these idiots recognise very few people enjoy old senile and annoying voices? Everyone at TNT is stuck in time, from studio to game analysts. I guess Jim and Stan is a step in the right direction, but reading it’s only till April means in the WCF we are stuck with Marv, Reggie and Webber.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

SVG guest starred on ESPN's Jump a few times. Diplomatic on his opinion and gel well with the panel. Having quite a resume and been a recent head coach, he gave credibility to the show with his apperance.

19. Marteen

Marteen Member

Personally, I think Webber’s fine, but holy s*** is Reggie bad. For someone who looked like a total badass on the court, he talks like a jabroni. Marv is somehow still calling games, but his voice already has one foot in the retirement home.

roslolian and KDavis like this.