1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trent Williams Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Jul 31, 2019.

1. raining threes

The Realist speaks the truth.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

3. raining threes

If getting an all pro LT means not signing WFV next yr then put me on the side of protecting Watson and helping improve the horrid run game. I like WFV and he's very good, but I would trade WFV for Williams and I dont even have to make that call until next offseason. Especially when I will have 82 million to sign Watson/Watt/Williams etc...

I like Clowney,WFV etc... but if you want to get the best out of Watson then you need to do everything to protect him and help him. Without Watson this franchise is nothing. He cant take 62 sacks and get beat up next year like he did last year. That doesn't even discuss the putrid run game.

Wonder who in the Texans org is taking that call? Because if BOB is taking that call and isn't doing what it takes to bring him here, then this would make BOB unlike any HC I've ever seen and BOB should be fired tomorrow.

Plowman likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bill should have been fired yesterday.

Plowman and raining threes like this.
  5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

At least we can hope that the 38m of cap space will help protect our franchise qb.

AFC SOUTH CHAMPS JOHN

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They could stack it on a pallet and put it at LT. It would, at the very least, be better than Matt Kalil.

7. Texanstradamus

From the looks of camp Matt Khalil has been atrocious

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think Kalil gets cut, to be honest.

But you never know when O'Brien starts playing his 4D chess.

No Worries likes this.
  9. Marteen

Marteen Member

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Well we tried takes 2 to tango

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is about what Trent Williams's trade value should be.

Williams plus a 2020 5th round pick gets you a 2020 2nd round pick plus a 2021 3rd round pick.

raining threes likes this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Believe the original deal was a 2018 5th rounder, a 2019 2nd rounder, and Jeremy Lane. They reworked it after Lane failed his physical. Thought it was a much better deal for the Texans the 2nd time around.

13. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I'd do a 2nd and a 5th in a heartbeat!

If he would agree to an extension beforehand a 2 & a 4.

14. conquistador#11

I'd even go a 2nd and a 3rd and a 4th in 2021. I f he can play for another 3 seasons, it's well worth it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We just used our FIRST ROUND PICK on a left tackle. The fact that we are making overtures towards the Redskins for Trent Williams suggests that we aren't confident in Tytus Howard. I knew this pick would be a bust! Total reach. We could have drafted Josh Jacobs (instead of trading for Duke Johnson), we could have drafted Montez Sweat since we're about to lose Clowney, or we could have drafted Greedy Williams since we need help at CB. Instead we draft Tytus and literally a few months later we are looking to trade for an LT! Absurd!

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It’s called upgrading the team at a position of need.

Just because we are trying to get a all pro LT and upgrade our offensive line doesn’t say nothing about Tytus Howard.

Nothing should stop this team or any team from upgrading if possible.

Just think about it start Howard at LT just because we drafted him in the first round or start a all pro LT.

17. Buck Turgidson

Who's the last person from Rice who knew jack **** about pro football? Larry Izzo?

18. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

A 2nd, a 3d, and a 4th?!!!
    That would be too rich for my blood.
    Plus we won't even HAVE our 3rd next year after the "Duke" trade.
    With a signed contract extension I MIGHT go for a 2nd next year and a 3rd the following year but I'm not even sure on that.
    That's a lot of draft capital.

If we had a gm that could consistently find players in the lower rounds it might be different but.............................tchin!

It doesn't mean Tytus is a bust.
    It's a big jump for him to go right in from a small school to starting at left tackle in the NFL.
    But from all accounts he is doing fine at guard and will most likely be a mainstay on the o-line at one position or another for a long time.
    This is not looking like another XSF scenario where the player just isn't that good/competent imo.

If they could get Williams for a second and change they have the possibility of fixing the line for the forseeable future.
    Trent-Tytus-Martin-Rankin-Scharping I think might become one of the upper o-lines in the league.

I do agree that Sweat or Greedy would have been excellent picks as well. (I even liked Jacobs too)

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Exact same deal that Duane Brown got. Done.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Eagles drafted Andre Dillard and have Jason Peters. Peters is a lot older but you always should get the best options to protect your franchise qb. Always have a backup plan.

Texans are still looking for their first good olineman

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.