1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Duke Johnson via trade for undisclosed 2020 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NewRoxFan, Aug 8, 2019.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Man that Ohio accent is brutal. I like what he had to say though.

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I was so, so when this was announced, but this has started to grow on me and I'm excited to see if we'll actually be able to show case his talents on more than 3rd down. With Keke being so fragile, Duke may be able to help in the slot on certain formations.

If this dude's Grind Score has any relevance to production, we got a steal for a 3rd round pick... that is if we use him more often than one down.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

He can help us. But:

1.I would have preferred the Texans to have waited to see what the rookies could do in the preseason before making a move.

2. With the very difficult schedule the Texans have this year, the Browns may be getting a very early 3rd round pick next year.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

#224 J.R., Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

I like Duke Johnson a lot. Underrated player. But this may just reinforce BOB's bad habits/mistakes...like always running for it on 3rd and 6th. Now we'll just do that with Duke.

BigShasta likes this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right down the middle

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

OBrien is just a bad play caller, or at least he has been to date. He's extremely predictable and conservative.

There's a lot of hope that this year will somehow be different. They have more weapons to start the year, but really I don't have much faith in him to change.

8. Texanstradamus

Undrafted rookies ?

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes. We didn't draft any running backs. I wanted to see what our undrafted running backs looked like before making a trade.

10. Texanstradamus

Can’t bank on that with Miller being banged up like he was to end the year and looking drained hey we could still have Alfred blue getting carries and providing 3.4 yards per carry it was just a conditional pick anyway

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

OBie and his staff already has.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

And you know this how? Are you really suggesting the Browns said “we’ll take a 6th” the Texans came back and said “nah fam, we’ll give you a 4th but hell, make it a 3rd if he plays 10 games”

I get that you think it’s a bad deal, but don’t act like we can just offer whatever you think is fair and it gets accepted.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/12/antonio-brown-raiders-helmet-jon-gruden-mmqb

7. Speaking of pass-catching backs, the Texans’ acquisition of Duke Johnson has Bill O’Brien’s fingerprints all over it. Since O’Brien’s been there, the Texans haven’t really had someone to fill the sub back role that the coach had Kevin Faulk and Danny Woodhead for in his years running the New England offense. Like those two, Johnson’s an accomplished receiver, a deceivingly strong inside runner, and capable in pass pro (though not quite what Faulk was). And having a clear vision for the player, I think, is why O’Brien was willing to part with what will probably be a third-round pick for him (It’s a three if Johnson is active for 10 games, a four if he falls below that threshold).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...t-raiders-training-camp-tour-fmia-peter-king/

4. I think you can overpay for a player in trade, and that player can still be a valuable piece for the acquiring team. That’s exactly the case with Houston paying a fourth-round pick that can easily rise to a third for backup Cleveland running back Duke Johnson. He’s versatile and productive. In the last two years, he’s run it 121 times for a 4.6-yard average, and caught 122 balls for a 9.3-yard average. Those are terrific numbers in what’s been a mediocre offense. But it’s also a big price. Bill O’Brien might need to trade for a tackle this summer, and so next year’s draft just might be denuded.

#233 J.R., Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Bill the GM likely limiting touches to keep comp as low as possible

Or simply Bill the gm sucks

And neither are mutually exclusive.

Hyde’s also been the better back in the touches he’s gotten