1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Potential Trade Targets

Orlando Magic
    Aaron Gordon $19.86M
    Jonathan Isaac $5.81M

Memphis Grizzlies
    Andre Iguodala $17.19M
    Kyle Anderson $9.07M
    Jae Crowder $7.82M
    Bruno Caboclo $1.88M

Minnesota Timberwolves
    Robert Covington $11.30M

New York Knicks
    Marcus Morris $15.00M
    Bobby Portis $15.00M

Miami Heat
    James Johnson $15.35M
    Justise Winslow $13.00M

Cleveland Cavaliers
    Kevin Love $28.94M

Oklahoma City Thunder
    Danilo Gallinari $22.62M

Sacramento Kings
    Dewayne Dedmon $13.33M
    Trevor Ariza $12.20M
    Nemanja Bjelica $6.83M

I think ideally the Rockets will target players around $15M or less to keep intact the top 8-9 rotation players. So that leaves using SnT Shumpert (is this really still an option?), NG contracts, non-rotation players, and/or trade exemptions. It might be a pipe dream to get a good 3&D SF/PF over 6'8" on a great value contract (Robert Covington or Jonathan Isaac) so the next best realistic affordable option may be to get PJ Tucker's THICC brother-in-arms Jae Crowder.

http://tradenba.com/trades/HJNQZW6mB

Might have to give Memphis their 2020 2RP back (this is a tough decision since MEM will be a lottery team) but it would be worth it to get a championship.

BaselineFade, fattz, Shark44 and 2 others like this.
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Not directed at you necessarily, but I don’t get why people think Aaron Gordon can be so easily let go of. Magic are totally not looking to trade him and we totally don’t have assets to make that work. Dude isn’t an all star but still one of their best players at age 23, locked up and a fan favourite. If they have a plethora of big men Gordon is not the one getting traded.

Jae would definitely be a good get. When he fits in with a team he’s money and I think he’d fit in with this team. I would definitely let go of that 2nd Rd pick if it means getting him and not giving up anyone. I’m not so sure Memphis is looking to give him up for a not so great pick. Even though they’re not going to be winning they’d still covet what he brings.

Would love Gallo but not sure we could get that done. James Johnson can easily be had for nothing but a Shumpert sign and trade, and Shump would probably be happy with Miami, but I would get why our front office wouldn’t take on that contract. Maybe at the trade deadline I’d take him but we wouldn’t have Shumperts contract to match so can’t happen. I’m not as high on Covington as others.

I don’t want to think about the players that can’t be traded until later because I’m really hoping Morey isn’t actually going to start the season with this roster and not add one damn Power Forward.

BaselineFade, fattz and RichieBanks like this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It would be marvellous if what’s actually happening is that Morey and Shumpert have both agreed to get a sign and trade and Morey is just giving it time to see who the best player he can pick up is. That would be terrific. And of course I think there is a zero chance of that being the case. And also the two sides would have had to agree on a certain amount in case Morey doesn’t get anything done and Shumpert passed up on finding another home.

fattz and Corrosion like this.
  4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I think that pick is almost as good as it gets. High 2nd rounders have more value than late 1st rounders based on the signing terms. I think most teams would prefer a pick 30-34 than 26-30 because it mitigates the gamble and most teams picking late first round are on a tight cap. So Crowder probably isn't worth a pick 20-26.

5. Sanity2disChaos

Crowder and Tuck on the same team! Thhhhiiiccc

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I hear you. But if I was Memphis I’d rather Crowder than that pick. They’re not that desperate to trade him. They’re gonna have a fun team with Ja and JJJ. Crowder is a nice player to have around them. Iggy is not.

withmustard likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Non-guaranteed contracts DO NOT count for salary matching purposes , Only Guaranteed money counts for that purpose.

8. Acura

Acura Member

Is crowder bigger than tucker ? Was he a 4 or a 3 primarily?

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It’s debatable Acura. 82games.com is a site that tries to break things down for fans of the NBA.

Tucker (18/19 reg season): http://www.82games.com/1819/18HOU16.HTM
    Played 62% of Rockets mins/PF...PER 10.9 (48-min production)...PER 19.0 (48-min opp counterpart)... —8.1 Net
    Played 7% of Rockets mins/C....PER 12.0 (48-min production)....PER 30.3 (48-min opp counterpart)... —18.2 Net

Crowder (18/19 reg season): http://www.82games.com/1819/18UTA10.HTM
    Played 35% of Jazz mins/SF.....PER 17.1 (48-min production)....PER 14.0 (48-min opp counterpart)..... +3.1
    Played 18% of Jazz mins/PF.....PER 10.7 (48-min production)....PER 15.1 (48-min opp counterpart)... —4.3

Crowder might have better numbers but also had Gobert covering his back (excellent rim protection).

Just a FWIW. Could help out our SF issues.

BaselineFade and Acura like this.
  10. Sanity2disChaos

Maybe in height but not by much. 4 then 3 but predominantly at 4 recently. Always liked Crowders game. A little underrated imo.

Acura likes this.
  11. Acura

Acura Member

Interesting. I’ve always thought PJ was a much better player than crowder. Maybe I’m thinking offense?

12. Acura

Acura Member

I think I was underrating him

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well, most Rockets fans love PJ Tucker for his lunch box hard working mentality, but the numbers/stats say he is ok.
    Diving onto the ground or into the stands doesn’t always show up in the stat sheets. Guys like AD will outplay Tucker
    whether it’s the PF spot or Center spot. Height and long arms plus decent leaping ability gives Tucker problems near
    the rim, as should be. Tucker usually needs help or has to foul to prevent baskets at the rim. Thus the 30 PER
    Opposing Centers can achieve against Tucker.

Reason I pushed for JaMychal Green in free agency earlier or Dante Cunningham recently. It frees Tucker up to concentrate on PF opponents. I believe Harden can hold his own vs LeBron somewhat (Harden was rated around
    number 1 in post up defense last season) and Tucker can guard Kuzma.....but AD is a problem. Normally we face
    AD by himself. Now he has LeBron, Danny Green, Kuzma and eventually Cousins. Which one does Capela guard?
    Hope is Bennett plays out of his mind this season and Gary Clark plays well so Tucker can Guard AD (I guess??). If nothing else Tyson Chandler/Bennett/Dante Cunningham could use all their fouls.

It’s actually the Clippers that I worry more about though. Harden will have his hands full guarding either Kawhi or
    Paul George due to quickness. They can take Harden out to the perimeter and leave him out there. Tucker can’t
    guard both at the same time. House will need to be up to par by season’s end. Zubac, JaMychal and Harrell will give Capela and Tucker fits. People should not underestimate Zubac.

Let’s see how the season plays out. Should be interesting.

14. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Pops Junior Tucker 6'6" 245lbs
    Jae "The Beast" Crowder 6'6" 235lbs

Jae Crowder benched 20 reps of 185lbs at the 2012 combine which was 1st
    https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-strength-agility/#!?SeasonYear=2012-13

I couldn't find PJ Tucker's strength/agility in the NBA site though. :(

"With a ripped frame more reminiscent of a NFL tight end than a NBA small forward prospect, Crowder is not a particularly fluid or explosive player, relying more on strength, smarts, timing and determination to get the job done, rather than pure talent. -" Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/jae-crowder-10084/ ©DraftExpress

"Tucker has an NBA ready frame and a super-hero’s build, with very soft and strong hands, great upper and lower body strength, and a superb wingspan. -" Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/PJ-Tucker-578/ ©DraftExpress

Both were on this strongest players list of 2017:
    PJ Tucker
    https://thesportsdrop.com/nbas-strongest-players-these-dudes-are-freaks/12/
    Jae Crowder
    https://thesportsdrop.com/nbas-strongest-players-these-dudes-are-freaks/14/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Morey make it happen...Team THICC!! Lock up the perimeter, be immovable on the block, and box out to let Westbrook get the rebound. :D:p

RichieBanks and Acura like this.
  15. Acura

Acura Member

Yes we have an abundance of great guards but we are hurting at the forward spots. I really think jaymicheal green would have been absolutely great for this team and even if we had to overpay (not sure if possible)

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. Acura

Acura Member

Nice post!

Bearius Jones likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah really …. This goes back to letting Ariza walk with bird rights in hand , having no financial vehicle to replace the talent and getting nothing in return. Two years later and the position is still pretty much barren aside from Tucker.

BaselineFade and Acura like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

JAM is off market, on to the next idea.

Crying over spilled milk solves nothing.

19. Acura

Acura Member

That’s why I said “would have”. I was simply agreeing with what @ApacheWarrior was saying and that we need a player like that. Who the **** is crying ? Not me. I haven’t cried since my goldfish passed.

#59 Acura, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sorry for bringing up JaMychal Green.

Yes, just bringing up the point that our front court has some question marks....perhaps a guy like Dante Cunningham
    could help address. If nothing else to foul or hack the center or PF and allow Tucker to help out on LeBron/Kuzma
    or Kawhi/Paul George tandems. Tucker can’t guard everyone. Important that Capela/Tucker avoid foul trouble until
    the 4th quarter.

Interesting to see if Covington/Iggy can be pried away from their current teams.

The fear is that offensive minded D’Antoni thinks he can “out score” the opposition throughout the regular season
    and playoffs with undersized players from Guards to Centers. How Bennett/Gary Clark & House play can determine
    much of what the Rockets do by the trade deadline. That’s if we make a trade.....guessing Eric Gordon is our trade
    asset at that time.

Acura likes this.