1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Yordan Alvarez's potential?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockbox, Jul 7, 2019.

1. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. We upgraded our most pressing need - DH. We just happened to do it with the love child of Big Papi and Griffey Jr. I’m loving this.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've not seen Alvarez make a play yet on anything that Dante Bichette, Matt Stairs, Greg Vaughn, Jose Canseco, Manny Ramirez, and the Giambi bros couldn't make. He hasn't played much, but I think the only data we have suggests he's a great hitter and probably worse defensively than Brantley based on not playing in the field.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. vince

vince Member

Luhnow has put on what feels like a defensive juggernaut in the field. Seriously Brantley, Springer, Marisnick, and Reddick are B+ to A+ defensively. And Gurriel is outstanding at 1st base. Let’s say someone had to pay Alvarez 100 million dollars, they’d put him in the OF to help offset their financial commitment.

Alvarez might be a defensive liability, but is so viable offensively, that any team be it in the AL or NL would accommodate on their roster.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Astros never had a great hitting DH since moving to the AL... now they do.

When they go universal DH, there will be even more demand for elite hitters. I'm glad they don't have to worry about it for 6 years.

#245 Nick, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    everyday eddie, Joe Joe and vince like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Brantley is not B+ in OF. He makes plays he needs to make, but that's about it. Astros positioning and Marisnick help him out a lot. I do agree that Alvarez's bat makes him viable even if he's Gattis in LF.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

How is Brantley a B+ defensively? He is below average out there.

8. Buck Turgidson

In old man (not Greg Lucas) sportswriter news, Kirk Bohls has an article about Yordan in the Austin paper today, it has factual errors (par for the course with Bohls), but here's a couple of actual quotes:

Yordan Alvarez made an early impression on his new manager with a gritty at-bat that was so intriguing A.J. Hinch still talks about it.

As the Houston Astros manager relates it, the moment came in a nine- or 10-pitch at-bat [it was 7 pitches] against New York Yankees fireballer Aroldis Chapman on the road. Alvarez had played in fewer than a dozen major league games and was still a week away from his 22nd birthday.

And he made an out. Yeah, that’s how good this kid in the grown-up body is. And how impressionable.

“He’s facing a Cuban pitcher he’s never faced before,” Hinch said this week. “He’s throwing 100 miles an hour. The game’s in Yankee Stadium. Yordan’s working him for about 10 pitches. And it pissed him off that he made an out.”
    His one liability? His glove. Alvarez has no position. He’s an extremely poor outfielder, although they’ve used him six times in left field, and he’s probably never going to make an acceptable first baseman, either.

“He’s a DH,” Hinch said. “Can he play first base? I doubt it. He’ll be a really good DH."

Other quotes from Cole and Correa etc here: https://www.statesman.com/sports/20...ookie-alvarez-has-been-instant-hit-in-houston

#248 Buck Turgidson, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  9. Buck Turgidson

They had a great hitting 2nd catcher who couldn't hit as a DH for whatever reason, it's not like they didn't try!

NIKEstrad likes this.
  10. Cinder Guard

Cinder Guard Member

I'm not sure if it's been previously discussed, but I think Yordan has the potential to be very good in this league.

seclusion, gatsby, NIKEstrad and 3 others like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

His bat might play...we need about 500 ABs to be sure.

Unless the pitchers figure him out and all, then he may go the way of JR Towles and Tyler White.

12. Buck Turgidson

Remind Matt Eddy who Curt Flood is, while you're at it.

JeeberD likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jesus Christ did the Astros forget how to hit?

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Sometimes posters post in the wrong thread and sometimes great teams only score 3 runs. They also only scored 3 runs on Sunday against a terrible team.

T for 3 likes this.
  15. theimpossibles1

16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Its early, but I’m going to go ahead and say “no”

Wulaw Horn, Killatron 2000 and vator like this.
  17. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Yeah I would say Yordan Alvarez has potential. I can't remember seeing anyone as young as him with this much power and the ability to hit the ball to all fields and the ability to see the strike zone as well as he does. I hope he stays healthy and remains an Astro for a long time.

18. CrazyJoeDavola

When you are arguably one of the 5 best hitters in the league, it's no longer "potential".

gatsby likes this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If this post ages well I will be depressed.

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member