1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Perkins: Morey scapegoated Melo bc of Tilman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He might suck but I have to give it to him, he is charismatic, just not the best player and hubby.

2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No. I just don't follow media narratives & also don't believe because a guy isn't a superstar anymore, that he can't contribute to a NBA roster. Simple?

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

The issue is not that he can't contribute. The issue is that what he thinks he can contribute and what NBA teams think he can contribute are too different. You think he will sit still on a bench and play 15 minutes a game? No. He wants to be play 30 mins and score 30 points. You would think he would embrace a role where he can be the 6th man like Eric Gordon or Lou Williams. NOOO. That's too demeaning for him. He is Carmelo Anthony! NBA Superstar.

This was just 2 seasons ago:
    Anthony obviously didn't waive his no-trade clause to end up in a situation where he wasn't having his needs met and one of those needs involves high volume of minutes. So when he was asked on media day about the possibility of coming off the bench, Anthony couldn't help but begin to laugh.
    "Who me? I don't know where that started where that came from. Hey P (Paul George) they said I gotta come off the bench."

As a NBA player who was a primary option for a long time, you have two choices when it comes to the later parts of your career. Either retire and go out when you don't want to be a bench player, or embrace a new role. Carmelo is not doing either. And thus he is not on a team.

Conspiracy theory: you don't think other NBA execs have reached out to Morey to see why carmelo was let go?

YOLO likes this.
  4. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Remember that one short period when Morey went and got players who fit his system? Ariza, Tucker, Mbah a Moute, Gordon, Anderson (although that didn't work out for long)? Those were the days.

5. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Fly Ry was killin it though before he got injured

hakeem94, bmelo and FrontRunner like this.
  6. biff17

biff17 Member

Wait what?

So you just knew Ariza, Luc and Tucker where perfect fits in the system?

I remember when most on this board were cursing Morey for replacing Chandler with Ariza and claiming we were worse.

luc and ON were both called scrubs and many claimed we could have signed better players.

Gordon was widely panned as a injury prone player who we overpaid.

let's just see if these guys pan out like those guys before we carp on Morey, since he has proven many wrong over and over again.

hakeem94, vince and cur.ve like this.
  7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Everytime I see this post I just wanna say Melo sucked. When he left of defense got instantly better. We got better as a team when he left, not sure whats scapegoat about that.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Carmelo Anthony is not even on Danuel House level, as of now.

Danuel House showed what his role is supposed to be knocking down 3s, running a fast break, great dribbler when attacking the rim.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Hard to argue with the point that the team got significantly better without Melo. Small sample, adjusting to no Ariza/Luc/Coach Bez....still though, Houston turned it around pretty shortly after Melo was asked to leave. Re?: Morey - no one wants to be the guy who asks Melo to leave, but clearly it was what was best for the team - regardless of the reasoning which is the dumb conversation they are trying to dredge up for hot take shows to keep gossiping like idiots.

10. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

I mean I don't really believe anything Kendrick Perkins says but this is very believable

dobro1229 likes this.
  11. bmd

bmd Member

Seems to me that either Kendrick Perkins just made this up or he got it from somebody else who who made it up who isn't in tune with the salary cap. It's almost like somebody thought it would be a juicy rumor to say the Rockets got rid of Melo because they didn't want to pay his big salary, but that makes no sense considering it was OKC paying the vast majority of his salary.

And Carmelo wasn't a scapegoat... he sucked. Also, I'm pretty sure Carmelo's salary still counted against the cap because they cut him. He wasn't picked up off waivers. So if they cut him, it had nothing to do with trying to save $$. It's because he sucked.

12. Caprah

Caprah Member

The problem with melo is he thinks he can still score like Harden and Durant so being a catch and shoot guy is not a option.

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. s3ts

s3ts Member

He was useless vs his former team...

This is why he got canned.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

this was such an embarrassment. he really had 0 pts bc his only pts was trash and given to him at that point

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I love how all the highlights during the interview are Melo missing every shot... Dude made his money, and houston wanted Melo 3-4 years ago, not now. When the team finally got Melo it was more of a redemption type scenario from the trash performances he had while playing for OKC/NYKs.

Unfortunately his career is pretty much over, no one even tried to get him last year. I mean of course he wants to still play, who wouldn't? Hopefully with all the money he made he invested it. I mean I'm sure it sucks to be told you can't play any longer, but if I were him I'd probably be laughing on my way to the bank. I mean of course after I cried myself to sleep a few times.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

2003 NBA draft:

1. LeBron James: NBA Champion
    2. Darko Milicic: NBA Champion
    3. Carmelo Anthony:
    [​IMG]
    4. Chris Bosh: NBA Champion
    5. Dwyane Wade: NBA Champion
    18. David West: NBA Champion
    20. Dahntay Jones: NBA Champion
    21. Boris Diaw: NBA Champion
    27. Kendrick Perkins: NBA Champion
    28. Leandro Barbosa: NBA Champion
    31. Jason Kapono: NBA Champion
    32. Luke Walton: NBA Champion
    41. Willie Green: NBA Champion
    42. Zaza Pachulia: NBA Champion
    45. Matt Bonner: NBA Champion
    47. Mo Williams: NBA Champion
    49. James Jones: NBA Champion
    51. Kyle Korver: NBA Champion

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was washed up
    Don’t need to be a billionaire to see that

18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Lmao...bro...when are people going to accept that it is fine to be washed after so many years. Melo and Perkins can eat a big bag of ****s with this bullish.

No one is trying to hear this crap and no one gives a flying hoot.

Melo sucks....Melo sucked last year, he didnt fit with what we were trying to do. Thats that.

19. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I think there was a possibility that with more time he could have integrated into the offense and been more effective. You could occasionally see flashes. But the defense was really bad and just wasn't going to get better.

In that SAS interview he talks about how he's ready to fill any role, but he makes it seem like the suggestion that he couldn't break a 9 man rotation for the Rockets is anathema. He's at the point in his career where if he wants to get a roster spot on a playoff caliber team he needs to be fine with DNP's, waving a towel and being called on if/when needed to score a couple of baskets against backups. He's not there.

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

This sounds like some Petty Pendergrass from Perkins...