1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon: Extend? Trade? Stay the course?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 30, 2019.

1. TilmanFinancialWindfall

EG just posted that Rockets owner is not willing to do everything to win. Confirm that he's not having fun and Tolman in financial problem.

Astro owner is doing anything to win according to EG but tilman is cheap

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Someone break out the banhammer ….

RichieBanks and Ramo$e like this.
  3. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Okay Tilman. Use that mafia power

Acura likes this.
  4. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

What else is new? They will listen to offers but I dont believe they are actively persuing a deal like they try and make it seem.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Nah, Gordon is not in the same group of these guys because he's much older and already peaked years ago, these players you listed are 27, 23, 27, 22...two of them just entered their prime, two are still developing and almost 10 year younger than Eric, that's a big difference there.

amaru and biff17 like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's beside the point , EG at 20m (15%) or 25m (18.8%) is still a significant amount towards the luxury tax total which none of us expect them to exceed by much , if at all.

Add EG to Harden , Westbrook & Capela and @ 20m you are at 84.1% of the tax line and 87.9% at 25m considering just 4 contracts.

You still have to pay the rest of the team …. Last year they did everything they could to duck the tax including not spending the bulk of the MLE and throwing away assets to make it a reality , they have yet to spend the bulk of this years MLE either.

They have shown us they don't want to spend above that threshold - Paying EG another $5-10m on top of his current salary , I just don't think Tilman will do it.

If I had to bet , I'd put my money on EG playing elsewhere at some point this season or walking away at the end of the year cause Tilman's shown himself to be "cheap."

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

A Reddit member says Tilman won’t use full t MLE from 2018 to 2022; 5years,

5 million is a lot?

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

3.76% of the tax line.

9. biff17

biff17 Member

i like Gordon but I don't think he is worth 20million for 3 more years.

My dream scenario is that he is moved for multiple wings that are younger with upside, would rather split that up with 2 10million type guys like an Aminu,Layman or Osman.

don't think we can get those guys but that's the type of guys I would target.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's a fair concern to have so i won't argue it at this point. I guess it's very possible the Rockets didn't offer that kind of money to Eric.

11. BreakYoSelfFool

How are these guys comparable to EG? Probably the closest comparison would be Lou Williams, another 6th man of the year (EG 2nd place year before last).

Lou actually had more pts, rebs, asts, and stls along with better shooting percentages in less minutes. At only 8 mil, and 2 years older.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Agreed that he’s more comparable to Lou, but he will certainly get much more money than Lou. Pretty much everybody said that Lou signed a terrible deal when that was announced. Gordon’s deal won’t be close to that.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

everyone knew lou could of easily gotten more money than what he got. of course he could of. but he's already acknowledged, it wasn't about that. he was sick and tired of being moved all the time and obviously loves it LA and said hes just happy hes finally felt like he has a "home"

Lou Williams on his extension with #Clippers - “I’ve been f**ked every single time… Me being happy and comfortable where I was in L.A., we took a deal that a lot of people were scratching their heads at, but **** made me happy. At the end of the day, that’s what it was about.”

14. BreakYoSelfFool

I agree Williams is underpaid, but I don't think he would have gotten much more than 15 mil. I wasn't trying to say that would be the kind of contract EG would get. The other thing they have in common is if they want to be in a good situation that they are comfortable in, they will have to take less money than they could get elsewhere. Gordon is not a #1 or #2 option in the NBA, but he is a great #3/role player. I think 17 mil per is probably the cutoff for him staying with the Rockets long term and that's mostly because of comfort level with him and fit on team.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

every player has their own mo in what they want to do. and everyone is different. sure people would like EG to take less than probably what hes looking for but for himself he obviously isn't looking it that way as his top priority.

16. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

I don't think he's getting traded unless for some reason he doesn't mesh well with Westbrook....I think he's going to have a career year playing off of Westbrook, especially in the second unit. I think he'll get the most wide open 3s of his career....

I think the rockets are just going to have to pay the man....even 3 years at 75 or 80 million....

There's no reason to extend him for that price early in case he gets injured.

He's just too good of a shooter and we have no one to replace him if he bounces

17. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

But honestly, why does it matter if we overpay him. This is the team we are rolling with for the next 3 years. We are capped out anyway. As long as Tillman is willing, why is that a bad thing?

Acura and YOLO like this.
  20. Acura

Acura Member

This is the realest thing I’ve read all day. It’s not always player x is worth x amount of money