1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Covington on trade block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Jul 4, 2019.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

They also will have to pay Draymond next offseason. They aren't going to want to pay Russel $32 Million per year going forward regardless of what they get in return.

Hopefully Morey is able to get his friend to pull the trigger.

riko likes this.
  2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Would anyone here be surprised if Covington isn't actually on the trade block and Windhorst just made it up again? Nobody else "reported" that but him. Rumors are stupid.

dkim1984, justtxyank and eliefor3 like this.
  3. riko

riko Member

Russell was always a 1 year rental to fill in for Klay. He was always going to be moved by next season anyway.

J Sizzle likes this.
  4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Roco arguably fits better than Russell. They'll need his blocks and steals a lot more than Russell's point and assists. Curry and Green are already there to facilitate the offense. Klay can get them the points. Covington can shoot incredibly well and is a much better defender. I think a defensive lineup of Roco and Draymond is terrifying.

BaselineFade and plutoblue11 like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The sad part is all the praise the GSW are going to get when they make the playoffs as a decent seed.

Overcoming the loss of Klay and KD. Great coaching job by Kerr! Yada yada.

They still have 3 healthy all stars lol.

Richie_Rich, justtxyank and lionaire like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah i have no idea where people are getting that idea. especially with klay being out for most, if not all of next year, they're going to need an impact player like DLo to stay afloat. not some role player like RoCo

Plowman likes this.
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can definitely see the fit from a team perspective. It's just fair value for each player that I find of hard to reconcile. On one hand, there is a need for a RoCo, but...in Russell, there is a scary upside that might be realized there. We'll see. I know Klay will be back eventually. But, I don't see RoCo costing Russell.

8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

9. HROZ

HROZ Member

Oh Robert Covington would be sweet but sounds like they are adding him as a sweetner for Wiggins

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think that says a lot about how the past 2 years have not been "failures" by Rockets but the sheer dominance of the warriors. even without russel, they would field a team with 2 all stars (1 a former mvp and the other a former defensive player of the year), a center who performed at par (at the least) with capella. That is what would be left of the team Rockets lost to after you take out Durant (top 3 easily), klay (top 3 two way player?), and iggy. That is just insane how talented they were and still are

D-rock likes this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

There ain't enough sugar in the world for that, and I ain't bulls***in'.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Send Minny 2 FRP if necessary.

Window to win will not stay open long. And Clips are blocking the lane.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

A team like ORL should be drooling for a PG like WB, but they made it clear very early on that they were not interested.

Magic are still PG poor and have a bounty of bigs.

It could be because ORL considers Fultz to be the real deal or because they are defense first team/culture.

Sometimes fit overrides need.

14. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Salary matching. Whos going to wamt to take on magic players salaries. Magic would have to gut their own talent. Probably need 3rd team. Its not that easy

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah. Russell for Covington and Teague I bet has already been agreed.

Wolves wanted him, valued him and KAT made a public plea to get him.

He is not a fit on the Warriors, will struggle heavily. Everyone isolates Curry to score on him, it's been their biggest defensive hole. There are going to be two holes in their defense now, Russell on his best day is about as good a defender as Curry - good effort, but ultimately a serious liability. Doesn't matter what I think though, Wolves want him and seem to have a much higher opinion of him. Might fit better in Minny if his backcourt mate (Okogie) can lock up the better guards.

16. basketballholic

Will need a 3rd team to take Teague. Warriors have to be out of the tax.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Disagree. Trade would not have gutted a young, very talented deep roster but stuck at bottom of East team like Magic.

Easy salary match if sending out Fournier (who Magic shopped hard last season) and AG (Magic have four young starter level talented PF on team now).

But sticking point could be AG, right now. One of the PFs will be moved in time (Aminu was just signed and Isaac, Chuma and Bamba need playing time to improve).

AG is the only known commodity at the 4 but its been proven that team needs to run thru their only all star, Vucevic, not Aaron Gordon.

WB would have been interesting in ORL, especially surrounded by shooters like Ross, Chuma and even Vucevic. Or rim runners like Aminu, Bamba, Iwundu, Ross and/or AG. And like OKC, every player defends hard in ORL.

Augustin is better backup PG than starter. And Fultz still an unknown.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

not hard to do.

if you assume covington comes with a pick or two to get russell, swing a pick with teague to take back less salary and maybe a decent role player.

i can see teague to the hornets for marvin. or to the magic for ross with augustine going to the wolves. or teague to the cavs for clarkson with delly going to the wolves. lots of other options i'm sure.

19. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Yeah man. And what's up with all this Giannis MVP love? I dont remember Harden getting that same media treatment

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i don't think the warriors would give up russell purely for fit. lets assume the starting point in russell for roco/teague/pick. probably a lotto pick. the warriors have to cut about 3-4M to make the trade work under the hard cap. so they have to move teague with one of their own future picks (likely late firsts) for a decent, yet cheaper role player. they could land marvin, ross, clarkson, etc... all of those teams would be interested in teague as a player as well as the future pick.

in the end the warriors would end up with roco/role player/lotto pick for russell. plus a shot at competing this year because of fit. the lotto pick hedges the bet later as well.

some of those trades (ross, clarkson, and i'm sure other's i haven't thought of) also put them in a position to duck the tax this year and restart the repeater clock. if they could contend this year with roco and a role player, have a lotto pick coming up for the future, and duck the tax this year, that's a huge win.