1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Paul George Traded to Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 6, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

im not denying anything. someone saying a clips teams has 0 weaknesses accusing someone else of denial is ironic

i could use your same logic and say you're just on their nuts. don't get all defensive bc not everyone else is just drooling with their mouth as wide open as yours. the rockets started with 14 losses after 25 games. did the clippers do that? nah. And the rockets still surpassed them in the end. not a good example to try and bring up there. you really do need to calm down a bit. you're getting all dramatic as you think every single thing is just going to go right for the clips. the warriors were a goat team and they still had some weaknesses. This clips is no where near some goat team.

Denovo, don grahamleone and Ramo$e like this.
  2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

no one is being dramatic about anything. you have no argument here. the clippers had a very good year, without having any great playmakers, in the deeper conference, while keeper their best pieces and adding two superstars. those are the facts.

why would it now be a problem when it didnt affect them having lesser talent last year ? a really good team and two really good players without losing anyone of significance. their offense is going to be better than it was last year, and it was already top 10. defense will be top two easily. we cant say the same about the rockets.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

i have plenty of "argument". you're the one with the LOL omg posts. yeah not dramatic at all. clippers with no weaknesses! it wasn't a problem last year? did the clippers win a ship last year? everyone must of missed that. were they absolutely perfect last year. good lord. take a break from riding please

Denovo and everyday eddie like this.
  4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

you are making things dramatic as always, being in your feelings when someone doesnt agree with your ridiculous comments.

did the clippers have two superstars on their roster last year ?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually i was just fine til you went a bit overboard and starting being all overly dramatic. then it just became as hysterical as you wanted it to be

but whatever you say. the 2019 clippers with no weaknesses. got it

6. Handles

Handles Member

I wish I had your optimism, top! I’m with you on not buying into Lakers hype, but those clips look really tough. We’ll see how it plays out.

Rockets win tons of games in the regular season but in the playoffs we can’t get over those tough teams. Clips are that tough team this year imo. I think a lot of it is bad luck and some of it is on MDA (I don’t buy the whole “Harden chokes in playoffs” sentiment).

I think MDA is being setup as the fall man and honestly I’m ok with it. He seems like a chill guy but I just hate his shorter rotations and lack of trust in some guys, his timeout timing, and his ignoring defense completely.

This is really what it comes down to. We need to shut down Kawhi and Lou (let PG get his) and Harden needs to go off. I don’t think it’s totally impossible to beat them but they are super scary. Like top said, we’ll see how it plays out on the court.

topfive likes this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

While I agree, the Warriors did get a bunch of questionable calls at the end it seemed. Also has to do with Curry not being Nike either since KD was out. If Kawhi was guarding KD he might have been called for some interesting ones.

DreamShook likes this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's because basketball isn't 1+1 = 2, Everyone said Celtics would be for sure in the finals because of how good they were without Kyrie and Hayward 2 years ago, look at what happened to them last season.

When you add two stars, shots and touches are taken away from other players. Chemisty is changed, roles are reduced, usage down for certain players etc.

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

thats the thing though, the clippers were not full of stars. they had two 6th man of the year candidates and role players who understood and never questioned what their job was..... the same guys are there. lou williams even talked about this before this trade even happened and said if they got one of the top free agents, there would be no problem. he and the other guys on the team would understand, this is their team now, we would do whatever we can to just play our part. its not the same situation as boston at all. their young guys resented kyrie and GH. they were in the ECF without them, the clippers lost in the first round. they know they NEED these guys to get over the hump. celtic players didnt really feel that way and thats why they couldnt get it work properly.

who on the clippers roster do you envision complaining about shots now that kawhi and PG are there ? the only volume shooters they had were lou and Gallo, who is gone. lou is a team first guy. they wont have issues. i know everyone hopes there will be, but dont hold your breath

10. Nook

Nook Member

The Los Angeles Clippers are going to be an elite team. They have exceptional defense and arguably the best wing defense in NBA history. However there are legitimate questions about the Clippers. Primarily there is no guarantee that Leonard and George will stay healthy. If one of those two go down, they are a drastically different team. They also will have defensive issues with their bench.

The Rockets lack the depth that the Clippers have (thanks Tilman) but in a playoff series depth is less important. The Rockets 8-9 could possibly match up favorably with the Clippers if players like House take the next step. Defensively the Rockets could potentially make life hard for the Clippers.

Last year Russell Westbrook was a positive defender with George helping him handle the offensive load. With Harden available, Westbrook should have his best defensive season in years. Harden has greatly improved defensively and is capable of guarding in the post and perimeter. House was a slightly above average defender last year. He will never be a shut down defender but he can certainly be in the top 25% with continued minutes. PJ Tucker is very good defensively and Capela is good as well.

I have read some people say it comes down to Harden versus Leonard. I don’t necessarily agree with this. I can see ways were either team advances without the need to have the best player on the floor.

The Rockets by the deadline have to add a wing or two with legitimate length. Whoever they add needs to have a 7’00” wingspan, can shuffle on switches and hit an open 3. They don’t have to be able to do anything else... just be good enough to make things hard for Leonard and George at times.

Also I don’t think the Clippers will be able to play Lou Williams much against the Rockets. His defense is atrocious and Harden/Westbrook/Gordon would absolutely feast on him.

Also what is forgotten is that teams are REALLY not going to want to play the Rockets defensively. Westbrook and Harden are extremely physical, they draw contact, both have motors, play heavy minutes and with Westbrook pushing the pace.... well that is an assignment from hell for teams.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You forgot about Austin Rivers and EG. Austin Rivers loves defense and EG is underrated.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I agree, Rivers is a very underrated defender and will thrive in transition with Westbrook. We basically are capable of grinding offensively and defensively in the backcourt all 48 minutes.

DreamShook and don grahamleone like this.
  13. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

It was well known but Steve Ballmer is still cray cray. So many Memes coming out of that intro

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Sorry Nook, dont mean to keep quoting you specifically....its just since you said this......

[​IMG]

Bring him back Murraaaaaaaaaay.

15. Nook

Nook Member

There has to be serious physical issues or he would have a job. He was an exceptional defender... not a good defender but one of the very best at his position.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed with all of this. Kawhi and Paul George are interesting players who evolved from elite defenders to great offensive players. Neither are really plus-plus playmakers - and neither is Pat Bev.

I’m curious to see how their offense runs - it wouldn’t shock me to see it bog down to Kawhi and Paul George isolations frequently. As good as those guys are, they’re not Durant-like shot makers - and we nearly beat the Warriors by turning them into a Durant-based iso team.

YaoMing#1, don grahamleone and Denovo like this.
  17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not about complaining about shots. It’s more about how having stars impacts the role players stats. Lou Williams was one of the best 4th quarter players in the league. Will Kahwi and PG still defer to him? No way he averages 20 pts again this year and if you don’t need him to score he really shouldn’t even play cuz he does nothing else. Kinda like how he was on the Rockets.

No, denying I think they will be good, but one thing I find interesting will be Kawhi and PG have always played with elite defensive big men. How will not having any shot blocking presence effect their individual defense.

They are definitely gonna be a tough out in the playoffs, but it’s really gonna depend on matchups and seeding. I have a feeling they will underwhelm in regular season with adjusting to playing with each other and load management.

Honestly, Bevs defense is vastly overrated. Rockets should just attack him all game. He tries hard to get under your skin, but he gets beat a lot.

rocks123 likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Im holding out hope that he'll sign here for the minimum. Im willing to take a gamble for the upside. You and I both know hes that good.

Nook likes this.
  19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

100%

They don’t have any playmaking.

Paul George is a team player he’ll move without the ball but Kawhi is and iso guy he’s been like that for years now.

Their best playmaker is Lou Williams.

I’d love for the rockets to get in an iso matchup with them because one thing harden has proven is he’s far and away the best iso player in the league and he can turn his iso and pick and rolls into a top 10
    Offense of alltime.

Nobody else in the nba can do that.