1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

What do like about the other party?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Simple thread, now I do consider myself a moderate... I like that the Democratic party is fighting for fair wages and healthcare for all, on the Republican side I like that illegal immigration is a priority and the recognition of communist China as a major threat to us.

Can anyone here say anything positive about the opposite party?

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Interesting...

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Almost everyone has you on ignore. :)

biff17, Andre0087 and jcf like this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Thread has been done before. Nothing wrong with another one though.

5. foh

foh Member

I like the dems cause they are younger and more diverse (including their presidential candidates) and so I hope they can come up with some fresh thinking/ideas to make the government work for the people again.

The republicans? I used to like the Tea Party for their fiscal responsibility agenda but they seem to have been engulfed by Trump and/or voted out of office. I used to like Repubs for having ideals, but with the kind of (unfair) tax breaks they pushed through and the absolute lack of push-back against Trump when he treads on American fundamental principles (eg press), I can see now that their ideals shtick is a charade.

Seeing the bitter emotional fights in the congress these days, I'd be willing to bet that you won't get many constructive replies (though I'd love to see some).

peleincubus likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

There is plenty to like about conservative principles. Personal responsibility stand at the top to me. Limited government is important. Liberty for individual is also at the top. Those that know my posting probably wouldn’t believe me - I was slightly more of a Conservative party supporter than a liberal. That changed in the bush jr year.

The GOP party today - I can’t get pass the racists, immoral and inhuman thread inside it. The party as is today need to die and go away.

biff17 likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is my problem. Are we talking about the traditional Republican Party or Trump's Republican Party?

For Trump's party, I have very little to praise. I appreciate that he's taking on the large issue of trade with China, even if I might not like all his tactics. That's all I can think of.

For the traditional Republicans, I like their reliance on free markets to solve problems, and the emphasis on states' rights and devolving power. All that seems to be gone now.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. biff17

biff17 Member

why is illegal immigration a Republican plus?

Obama deported a record number of illegals.

Don't know if a agree with it but the TPP was a huge recognition of the China threat.

i did like the personal responsibility mantra of republicans and fiscal conservatism but that all seems to have been lip service.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

Gabbard is kinda hot.
    [​IMG]
    It’s all I got.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I like any party grounded in order and reason. there isn't much to go by these days... I can be considered liberal-ish because I support equality and a semblance of meritocracy. I also can't tolerate Republican publicity stunts that threaten to default the economy or destroy institutions the swore to uphold rather than to reform or rebuild.

80s big tent conservatism strived to reconcile differences through intellectual underpinnings mostly because liberalism took blame for the economic shitshows of the 70s.

I think the important lesson then is that economic idealism is an illusion because the they're merely models patterned after people and groups. as people adjust over time, so should the models and the responsibility government's share.

the danger voters always face are those who hide behind Economic Dogma in order to promote personal interests. Such is the life of lawyers, lobbyists, and merchants but nowadays everyone seems qualified and vested to wear those hats.

Michael Scott's with a megaphone