1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

“People are just not going to guard Russell Westbrook in the Playoffs”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

An outlier is a fluke. He's on a steady decline since he peaked at 85% in 2017. His shooting percentages are down across the board except for within 3 feet of the basket.

YOLO likes this.
  2. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

My body is reggie.

DreamShook likes this.
  3. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

One would think that espn has a gym on campus. He needs to spend his time wisely and not eat any damn fast food.

#103 crimsonghost, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    JazzLakerHater likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ffs. What does that say. Don’t bother replying.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

My early season pick for quote of the year on Clutchfans.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Agree with this and I'll also note that when I looked up the stats of how many 3s CP made when assisted from Harden - he was shooting BELOW 30% this past year- right next to Michael Carter Williams in worst 3pt shooting percentage when assisted from Harden. Now there may be legit reasons for that like defenses refusing to help off him resulting in contested 3s...but since THOSE types of stats aren't free I'll just note that for my own eye test I observed Paul always seemed like a reluctant shooter when he got the kickout from Harden. I feel like he often took the opportunity to slow it down and set up another one on one matchup that generally didn't work out well. That makes me have a little hope that maybe the real impact of WB won't be that negative offensively....but defensively we will definitely take a step down unless we manage a high quality wing defender(come on home Covington!)

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

If WB fixes his damn shot this upcoming season, it's a possibility him and james could average 27+ PPG.

tmoney1101 and Fulgore like this.
  8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I can live with russ on 31% on open threes.

Its the crappy 33% on long twos I dont like.

If he scales back his overall shot attempts and cuts his long 2s in half and replaced them with 3s. He becomes efficient enough because of how dynamic he is in other ways.

His biggest problem, offensively, has always been his love for the pull up long 2.

I'd love for him to eliminate it entirely and replace with pull up 3s but I'm not naive enough to believe that's possible.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No one is gonna guard a recent mvp in the playoffs? Please

Maybe not at the 3 point line, thats about it

tmoney1101 likes this.
  10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

One thing people aren't mentioning enough is that Russ shot 36.7% on corner 3s. And likely on worse looks. It's essentially a long midrange shot which is something he's been decent to good at his whole career. I expect him to live in the corner when Harden has the ball a lot like PJ does

11. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

So what have the other teams been doing the past 6 years in the playoffs? And how far have Westbrick teams gone in the playoffs the past couple of years?
    You don’t guard him. They wait for Westbrick to start feeln himself force the issue, burp up bad shots, and shoot his team out of the games and the playoffs. Don’t let those regular season triple double mvps stat padders fool you.
    Until they prove it in actual reality get off the ****n 2k simulations.

12. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Exactly. And every year post Durant, these same talking heads ranked the Thunder over the Rockets to start the year. Even before George arrived, it was all Mr. Triple Double doing it all by himself. But now that Westbrook joins the Rockets...its meh...the Rockets got worse.

ghettocheeze, hakeem94 and tmoney1101 like this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Click on it and then downvote the hell out of it. That's what I do LOL

hakeem94 and amaru like this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

You know you were westbrooks trip dub mvp campaign chief right?

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Can stretch it all you want, but WB is going to have to have a career year from 3 for us to meet our lofty expectations.

All the players that are left to shoot in the playoffs are better at catch and shoot than their average numbers. That's a weak argument. In fact, Russ is one of the players in the NBA who has too small a gap between his overall average and his catch and shoot.

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He eats Fast Food, Slow Food, Moderate Food. If it's food, you guessed it- he's eating it.

He sleep-eats too.

When he eats out at the Cheesecake Factory- they hand him the menu and he immediately says "YES!"
    - One of everything please.

When he goes to a Mexican Restaurant he orders "Fajitas for Fifty".

Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No bro, Bennet only fan now? Explain.

18. riko

riko Member

The irrational hate is out of control regarding Russ. I thought the Harden bashing was out of control but this is just pure hate. Look I have serious reservations about this thing to, but I’m willing to give it a season or two but the media seems to be hell bent on hoping we fail.

Tfor3 and hakeem94 like this.
  19. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

I think they're wrong, and that defenders will be wrong to think this way.

Yes, Westbrick is named so for a reason, but his corner threes are respectable (albeit short history of such). Additionally, his catch-and-shoots are pretty decent too. If he sticks to the corners while Harden is a ball-handler, then he would see his historically best three-point areas as a recipient of a dump off pass. His 29% overall is being dragged that low b/c his low conversion on ultra-long-distance and pull-up threes. Take those out, and he's not horrible. He'd also make for a great cutter w/ all that athleticism.

But then imagine the benefit of having that gazelle tire out the defenses when he leads a unit himself or when we need to give Harden some on-court rest. He would have to buy-in though, and who knows how that will go.

D-rock likes this.
  20. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

When he shoots 15 shots or less OKC almost never lost. In those games he was incredibly dangerous and under control playing within the team offense. The overwhelming cause of his lapses was Q4 Hero Ball chucking. He was tired, frustrated and shot from bad angles. He stopped being creative like James.

HP3, hakeem94 and dkim1984 like this.