1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tilman Financial Troubles] Shams: Rockets not comfortable going deep into tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 15, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

what don't you get? have you not watch iggy for the last several years lol. how many more big moments does he have to have for you to see his value. he's had more than enough of them, including this years. whats puzzling is the people who question why the rockets want him. dude was houston's #1 target 2 years ago in free agency.

jowman likes this.
  2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Tilman is straight garbage.

LonghornFan, Little Bit and smoothie like this.
  3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah too much for him. plus he only played 23mpg last year and probably plays less (18-20mpg) this year. he's worth that price if he plays 30mpg but he doesnt

keep this in mind when thinking of random trades. we're not going $15M over the LT. try to keep suggestions to acquiring players making $10M or less.

this also means shumpert S&T isn't going to happen. if we don't want to acquire a player earning more than about $10M we can do that using our NG guys. its better to keep shumpert at the minimum and hope he has a better shooting year. rivers-shumpert-house is good perimeter depth.

i'd forget iggy, covington, marvin, etc... and focus my trade suggestions on crowder, kyle anderson, and bjelica to fill our remaining rotation minutes while staying under $10M in taxable salaries. i think all would be a great fit and attainable for our NG guys plus a SRP or 2.

of course there is a chance we don't trade for anyone and avoid the tax again. in that case there are some minimum signings and buyout targets to keep an eye on.

4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

If Covington's truly on the table, then why even bother with Iggy?

5. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Little Bit likes this.
  6. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You would want Jerry West as Part Owner.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I am curious where Shams is getting his information because based on what he has said earlier in this summer, it isn't from the Houston Rockets. I am not so sure I believe that Tilman is afraid to go into the tax, time will tell.

I think everyone would prefer Robert Covington, but I don't think there is any real chance he is available for a first round pick, he is coming off an injury but is more valuable than that.

If it is Iggy or nothing, Ill take Iggy.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's a cheap ba$tard but I can understand it if talking about Iguodala. I do not agree with the majority that think he would be a good idea. We are already in the red zone in terms of spacing (2 starters can't shoot).

Would only want Iggy if it doesn't cost us anything, including flexibility to make more deals.

Little Bit and luckyman76 like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So Iggy makes 17 mill, and that would cost us 20 mill in lux tax?

Maybe... Tillman’s just not a ****ing idiot who’s gonna pay a total of 37 million for a washed up 36 year old who can’t shoot?

Maybe we should just sign Thabo to the min, maybe we should wait for Iggy to be bought out, maybe we should trade for someone who’s better and fits our age group.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

His D is huge, though.

Deckard and ThatBoyNick like this.
  12. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I'm really getting sick of Tilman's lying bs. Man up and pay the tax so we can win a chip.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Agreed. Tilman still needs to put up or shut up when it comes to spending on this roster, but this is NOT Finals MVP Iggy we'd be acquiring. He'd have to be limited severely during the regular season and even if he's well-rested going into the playoffs, he's not a good outside shooter. I know he lit up the Rockets in the Semifinals in a few games, but that's an anomaly and won't happen if he's playing for us.

There's gotta be a cheaper alternative out there who's actually available on a nightly basis during the regular season. If Tilman cheaps out and settles for Gary Clark, THEN we can call him out for not committing to winning.

Gray_Jay and treyk3 like this.
  14. jowman

jowman Member

Iggy is the opposite of most role players. Dude always plays better in games that count. Somehow his shooting percentages and scoring goes up, and he always makes a key defensive play or 2 in crucial moments.

His athleticism is gone and he’s not a shooter but he’s as smart and clutch as they come,

15. Earnie Banks

Earnie Banks Member

I am not sold on Iggy's fit here and value. Not at all. We all know he is towards the end of his career, and his recent injuries are a cause of concern. He is also a bricklayer (except against us in the 2nd round!?). He reverted right back to his percentages in the remaining series after us. Having him and Russ shooting low percentage 3s seems problematic with Harden creating open shots on the regular. His defense and drives are not going to make up for that like it used to because they are tied to athleticism which is most impacted by aging.

Even his intangibles are questionable to me at thsi stage. How hungry is he to win a championship anymore? Sure he may have a chip on his shoulder from being dealt by GSW, but the season tends to be full of ups and downs, and I can see him just phoning it in if this goes south, even if it is just part of the usual ups and downs.

I would love him in a buyout (which is likely if they cant trade him). I think Morey is just publicly making a statement that he wants Iggy which may help if he becomes a bought out free agent. But even with a win-now all-in Rockets mentality, I think there are much better fits out there for the same or less of a price. I am hoping for Covington, or a minimum low-risk/high-reward contract that will keep things flexible when we get near the trade deadline and middling teams start unloading contracts.

hakeem94 and FrontRunner like this.
  16. tc0330

tc0330 Member

same

17. Rockets Fan Trapped In MN

Rockets Fan Trapped In MN Contributing Member

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, yes, Iggy is not the player he once was and would only be used sporadically throughout the season, so he's definitely not worth $37 million for that alone.

On the other hand, you are keeping him away from the Clippers and Lakers, and therefore, more importantly, keeping a decent Harden-defender off of another contender who the Rockets would likely face in the playoffs. So it's a tough choice.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Rational, schmational. It's so much more fun to argue that the guy who just took on an additional $47M in salary for one guy is broke and cheap.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Willing to pay whatever it takes!*

*except money

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

FWIW, I don't think he's either of those things. I made the thread title as a joke for Carl Herrera. Probably shouldn't have done that.

biff17, hakeem94 and Fyreball like this.