1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lakers are the early favorites to win 2019-20 NBA Title

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jun 14, 2019.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dunno I'm still gving the King a lot of respect. He is gonna make a statement next year and the Rox better be ready.

He might not get Bron's blessing but Vogel is the best coach he has had, way better than Tyron Lue and Brown for sure. AD is also better than Bosh and the Wade Lebron played with and of course Kuzma is a baller. They still got 28M to fill out their roster thats way more than enough.

I've never seen a time the East was stronger than the West and I've been watching since Jail Blazer era lol. Maybe during Red Auerbach's time the East was better.

hakeem94 and xaos like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Odds smodds Warriors will max out Klay and KD and those two will be out all year next year lol.

KD, Cousins, Klay and Curry, Warriors will be the most injury prone team ever next year.

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That's what everyone did last year....where did the Laker's end up?

I like Vogel too...but if he indeed doesn't get Bron's blessing, this will completely fail. That has been demonstrated several times already.

AD might be better than either one of them...but not better than both.

But...does it not matter HOW they do that?

Yes, it's been a long time. I'm thinking maybe the 80's/90's (Bulls, Pistons, Knicks, etc).

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lebron got injured and never recovered, he was playing with a torn groin.

Anyway just see next season all you doubters are gonna be like "Everybody knew Lakers were gonna be contenders" lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Exactly. His player age is getting up there, and these things are going to start happening.

Wouldn't change my stance at all. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying there are a lot of assumptions being made about who else they get that go into making them favorites now. When they start the season, actually even before, we'll have answers to all those question marks on HOW they filled out their roster. It's all those proclaiming Laker greatness who are just assuming all those question marks will turn out to be exclamation points.

cerophilik likes this.
  6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

AD is the most fragile “all star” of this decade. He can’t stay healthy on the court or off. He can’t stay healthy during the regular season and he also can’t stay healthy during the playoffs. He can barely take his team to the playoffs let alone take care of his fragile body.

But...

If Lebron takes all the load (and doesn’t get injured like last year), AD won’t be fragile anymore, or will he still be fragile and the most injury prone all star of this decade?

Time will tell.

cerophilik likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Of course the refs affect the game. Just like flopping your way from the 3 point line to the free throw line affects the game. Play like a professional, get calls like a professional. Cheap plays get cheap calls.

8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Wonder how they’re going to finish this roster off

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

OT: Would you take Vogel over Spolestra for head coach?

The Lakers should go the Morey route, Spurs ways, and start looking at undrafted rookies and guys abroad who are veterans that could play in the NBA. While, looking for undervalued guys who can play, pretty well.

The last time, the East, as whole was better than the West, I wager around 87-89, the Celtics, Pistons, Bulls, Hawks, Bucks, Cavs, and 76ers.

I have said and argued that the NBA's Western Conference was and still is toughest conference to win in American Professional team sports, while have the most parity.

The West, since about 89 to 91, has produced roughly 6 50-win teams per year. Even topping at all eight playoff teams with 50 or more wins.

Since 1990, every team in the West has had at least 1 NBA Finals appearance or 1 Western Conference Finals.

Championship Winners with 5 or more consecutive seasons without missing the playoffs.

San Antonio Spurs
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Golden State Warriors
    Houston Rockets
    Dallas Mavericks

(Notice all of the teams I mentioned are more or less perennial playoff teams, as we speak)

Appeared in one or multiple NBA Finals with 5 or more consecutive playoff appearances .

Utah Jazz
    Portland Trailblazers
    Phoenix Suns
    Seattle Supersonics / Oklahoma City Thunder

1 or more Western Conference Finals appearances with 5 or more playoff appearances.

Sacramento Kings
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Denver Nuggets
    LA Clippers (has yet to reach WCF, though)

The only teams who truly stayed mediocre are with 5 or less seasons of playoff appearances :

New Orleans Pelicans

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good news, I never thought Beard would have another chance to show that he is better than Lebron heads up. Let’s rolllllllll...

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Spo hasn't really proved anything I mean ok he won but his team had Lebron, Bosh and Wade lol that's not exactly an achievement. In fact they choked against Dallas isn't that Spo's fault? OTH now that he has a "normal" team his w/l record is meh, the Heat haven't been relevant since Lebron left.

IMO what Vogel did with the Pacers is more impressive they took Miami heat to 7 games just with Paul George and freaking Roy Hibbert. Hibbert is a career 10 and 6 on 46% FG as a no range center, somehow Vogel got him an all star nod.

#73 roslolian, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    plutoblue11 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com...rget-max-cap-space-kyrie-irving-nets-woj-lowe

#74 daywalker02, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  14. BigBum

BigBum Member

Lakers expected to sign Russell and kanter.

Are they better than rockets?

Every one has better bench than rockets?

15. adoo

adoo Member

says who ?

rumors has it that, Brooklyn is not interested in signing just Kyrie. If they can't convince KD to join, it'd build around PG Spencer Dinwiddie, not D Russell. tells you what the Nets think of D Russell.

According to ESPN Bobby Marks, the 23-yr old D Russell will sign w whomever offers him the most $; the T Wolves can afford to offer him the most, not the LAL

16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Whats the Lakers u/O on wins, I would definitely take under. I felt last year it was a great bet in the 50s, and this year it will be even higher. Is this due to Vegas being near LA and their fans influencing the lines? This seems too extreme for that, as someone mentioned about Toronto and LAC, they must know something about Kawhi, just as they must know something about a third star going to LA.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Twolves are capped out.

18. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

It's not clear the Lakers have ANY bench right now. So probably not better than Rockets.

19. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Lakers letting some good role players get away putting all their eggs in the basket for kawhi.