1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cal you're on the clock and we're watching.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Jun 14, 2019.

?

Who should Cal hire as GM?

1. Caserio (NE)

2. Paton (MIN)

3. Wolf (CLE)

4. Highsmith (CLE)

5. Borgonzi (KC)

6. Manning

7. None of the Above

8. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. psingh34

psingh34 Member

bc the oilers/titans have done a lot sans bud? Texans have been a better team post bud. Also I would much rather have a team that is around 9-7 most of the years than not have a football team any day of the week and twice on Sundays. embarrassment of a team? they went 11-5 last year and have Deshawn Watson, DHOP, JJ Watt

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sometimes I get the feeling that the people here who constantly long for "the good ol' days" of the Oilers.....aren't old enough to really remember them. That team did NOTHING except break our hearts year after year after year. Only positive memories I have of them are the Luv Ya Blue days and that was 40 years ago.

The Run and Shoot days were so overrated. That offense was so boring to watch. 45 5-yard passes a game. Really exciting......

The Texans are kind of a joke, but no way would I prefer not having a team to having them here. In a morbid kind of way, I actually enjoy making fun of them. It's a helluva lot more fun than not even having a team to make fun of.

Hey Now! likes this.
  3. raining threes

The Truth will do that sometimes.

4. raining threes

Good for you, I hope you enjoy many more 9-7's

5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Alas, this is not one of those times. I was referring to your Abject Ignorance regarding the topic at hand.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....the Run&Shoot was ANYTHING but BORING, especially with Warren Moon running it.

I don't long for the Oilers anymore, but the Oilers when Warren Moon was the QB were not boring on offense OR defense.

whag00 likes this.
  7. raining threes

Were the Oilers more successful?

Were they more exciting to watch.

Speaking of ignorance, ignorance is a person that cant admit the truth to themselves.

8. raining threes

Yep

The Texans are like rubber necking a car wreck.

Except you get to LOL at their ineptness.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Does "I don't really care because a new GM isn't going to be a significant change" get marked as "None of the above" or "Other"?

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

People here are content with our regular season of 9-7 and winning the mediocre AFC South Division Title, but do u guys just close your eyes during playoffs? We literally get sht on because we have an incompetent coach, and our over playoff record is just downright sad.

We have all this star power yet under BOB we can't even build a competent oline for our franchise qb.
    Draft this year was a reach, we did jack sht with our free agency and we still didn't build a competent oline (it seems) with no GM to prep.

But sure yea im "super" happy that we are winning every regular season it seems.

BigShasta likes this.
  11. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that Bud Adams’ incompetence and greed has forced you to refer to the Oilers in the past is a devastating indictment of his worthlessness and your ignorance.

Oh, Irony! You’re so ironic!

12. raining threes

Speaking of greed, All Adams wanted was a new stadium, he didn't get one so he did what any good businessman would do. Moved his team to a place that would build him a new stadium.

Then the McNair's get a new team and stadium and make BILLIONS off of the city and continuously putting a mediocre at best product on the field du to their cheap FA/Draft only policy so they can maximize profits, this is also good business but much more greedy than Adams ever thought about being.

Fact is the Texans org is a much more boring org that doesn't come close to what we had here during the Luv Ya Blue/House of Pain years. To say otherwise is truly ignorant and quite ironic.

Face it, you dont like Adams because he moved the team and I dont blame him. You like the McNair's regardless of the product they put on the field because they brought football back to Houston. Where we really disagree is that you're happy having football back in Houston and I would rather not have a team than have the mediocre crap that the McNair's cheap asses have been throwing out there for the past seventeen years. But hey, there will be plenty of beer and BBQ to eat out at NRG next year and maybe I need to accept this and not really care what happens with an org that wont even have a GM next season.

For some reason ou have alot of faith in the McNair's ability to bring a championship to this city. I would love to know where this faith comes from. It's a sadly misguided faith. IMHO

BigShasta likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Uhm.... the Oilers were 251-291-6 before moving to Tennessee. That translates to roughly 7 wins/year, same % as the Texans. They had two - 2 - periods in which they were great: Luv Ya Blue, which barely lasted three seasons and ended bitterly, and run-n-shoot, in which they were 3-7 in the postseason (and 0-1 in playoffs games they led by 32-points).

The Oilers are a figment of nostalgia; nothing more.

Colt45 likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

No; all Adams wanted was the Astrodome renovated, which the city accommodated. He left before the paint dried. He routinely held the city hostage, dating back to the 60s and it finally called his bluff.

There were no winners in the team leaving - but to try and paint Bud ****ing Adams as the innocent victim is a load of ****. He was a greedy, benevolent malcontent.

Colt45 likes this.
  15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

[​IMG]

Hey Now! likes this.
  16. raining threes

If he had gotten the deal the McNair's got and every other owner of a sports team in this town got a new stadium, the Oilers would still be in Houston.

Yes, Adams was greedy, but no less so than the McNair's and you seem to need to wipe Cal's j*zz off your chin. Why do you hold them to different standards?

#56 raining threes, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  17. raining threes

They actually won AFL championships in 1960 and 1961.

I notice you failed to address the rest of the post. Yes the Oilers were more successful than the Texans have ever been. Why do you put so much faith in the McNair's bringing a championship to this city?

18. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

He got the deal every other owner of a sports team in Houston got. He was offered a fully funded, outdoor, football-only stadium on the site where nrg Stadium currently sits. Unfortunately, Bud didn't want the deal everybody else got, he wanted more. A LOT more.

Here's where your ignorance is truly embarrassing. You have apparently forgotten about (or, most likely, are so ignorant that you are unaware of) the ridiculous and ill-conceived "Bud Dome"...the downtown domed stadium which Bud proposed Houston/Harris County build for him. Why is he held to a different standard? Because he's the worst, most incompetent and greediest owner in the history of Houston sports. See, his plan for his dome didn't just call for the Oilers to play there, it would double as the Rockets new home as well. Only problem was that this plan made Les Alexander and his 2-time NBA champion Rockets Bud's tenant. The Rockets would pay Bud rent and they would receive a paltry 5% of naming rights, parking and concession fees...even merchandise sales. Bud would get the rest. The owner of a 2 and 14 team made those demands of a 2-time champion. Les laughed directly in Bud's bloated, ignorant, greedy face and then went out to work with city and county officials (you know, something Bud wouldn't do because of his constant demand that he, literally, be given everything without contributing, literally, anything.)

None of that unassailable tale of incompetence and greed takes into account the fact that Bud broke every lease he ever signed as owner of the Oilers. Or the fact that he never upgraded the Oilers training facilities in 37 years. Or that he refused to allow tailgating in Astrodome parking lots...shoot, you can't have everybody fill up on their own food and drinks! Or that he demanded 10,000 seats be installed (on the tax payer's dime and at the cost of the Astrodome scoreboard). Let me know when Cal McNair does ANY of that.

Nope, there's one reason and one reason only that Bud Adams moved the Oilers (from the 4th largest city in the country to a third-rate backwater, the action of a truly stupid and incompetent owner); he was an ignorant, greedy POS.

Man, irony is kickin' the **** out of you these past few days, son!

Hey Now! likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

Cool.

McNair paid $700MM to fill the void Adams created. He worked closely with the HSA & HLS&R to fund and build a new stadium. And while you can certainly gripe about the results, he has otherwise been a markedly better owner than Bud Adams by almost every conceivable measure.

I can't imagine the self-loathing it must require for someone to actively defend Bud Adams...

csj likes this.
  20. Hey Now!

Yes; I'm well-aware the team won a watered down, now extinct expansion league sixty years ago. I assume those are warm memories for you and your family?...

When did I put faith in the McNairs doing... literally anything other than easily clearing the near-ground-level standard Bud Adams set for NFL owners in Houston?...

The margin for which the Oilers were more successful than the Texans - if at all - is razor thin. And they were markedly worse, for far longer, than the Texans. Historically bad.

csj likes this.