1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"the theory that conservatives and liberals respond differently to threats isn’t actually true."

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Nolen, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I'm attempting to be a good D&D citizen by posting something I find uncomfortable because it goes against my own liberal bias.

We Tried to Publish a Replication of a Science Paper in Science. The Journal Refused.
    https://slate.com/technology/2019/0...nservatives-liberals-reacting-to-threats.html

Many in here will be familiar with a study that was published in Science some years ago that found that self-identified conservatives have stronger reactions of fear and disgust to threatening images than liberals do. It was the beginning of a lot of theorizing that ideological differences could be hard-wired.

This fit nicely into my own bias against conservatives and (to me) helped explain the incessant use of fear mongering in conservative media, and conservatives' fear of and anger towards those who are different from themselves.

But, another group sought to replicate the original study with even more participants, and couldn't find any correlation to ideology. They even contacted the original researchers to use the same images in the original study- still no correlation.

Although Science (the worlds most prestigious science journal) published the original research, it refused to publish the paper that refuted the original findings.
    I must strongly agree with the authors when they say:
    If I were a conservative reader, this would certainly feed into my suspicion that the scientific community has a liberal bias.

In defense of liberal media, however, it is Slate that published this.

mdrowe00, biff17 and Amiga like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Delete. More to come....

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So, Science mag rejects most papers without review. Lots of good papers, they believe, would fit better elsewhere.

At a basic level, it is absurd for any scientists to think their study belongs in a top journal automatically. "Well you included this other study years ago" is not a valid reason, or else each issue of Science would be 1200 pages long.

The authors going to Slate, instead of just quickly submitting their work to another high-quality journal, like the rest of us do, is lame and honestly misleading to the general public.

Let's first examine the 256 (!) other recent published articles referencing the original and then indeed see if *this* new study is as of current import as the authors claim. The whole thing reeks of grandstanding and butthurt, TBH. It's disrespectful to the other 256 papers, which were nearly all in other journals.

Just get your results published elsewhere and try to be your vision of a better editor when you get the chance at a journal.

It's too bad, b/c it sounds like their actual work is interesting if we can get past their behavior.

KingCheetah, Amiga, RayRay10 and 5 others like this.
  4. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I believe, unfortunately, that the behavior precedes and subsequently informs the work.

I think in most things, what people are looking for is what they will most likely find...so if you're not honest with yourself inwardly (like the OP states in his original post), chances are you're probably not going to be honest with anybody else outwardly...

Conversation, broadly (and in this instance, peer-reviewed assessments of scientific studies and reviews) should have as its ultimate goal not an establishment of opposites...and the "right" or "ability" or "legitimacy" of those opposites...but a confirmation of certainties...

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I had a similar reaction to B-Bob, but he probably said it better. The work should be published, but it doesn't have to be in Science to count. If it is published somewhere and can be referenced by future researchers, the scientific method prevails and all is right with the world.

But, good job complaining through Slate, I suppose, so people might not so confidently misapply the learnings from the original study.