1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Zach Wheeler seems like an Astros type acquisition. I can see them using some of their spin rate/analytic hoodoo magic on him ala Gerrit Cole. He has the pedigree and holds a 4.94 ERA but a 3.83 and 3.91 FIP and xFIP, respectively. He's a super hard thrower too btw.

Boyd is an interesting target. He's already 28 with basically no prior history of success so Detroit might not ask all that much in return.

I was kind of hoping we would go after Greinke. I know he's owed a lot of money but the dude is just a saaavy pitcher and I like his style/offerings/pitch mix contrasting with our hardthrowing JV/GC duo.

jsingles and Madmanmetz like this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

I love Wheeler, but I don't want to give up too much for a rental. Maybe go after him in FA if we can't keep Cole, or trade for him if he agrees to an extension, but I do NOT want to give up too much (let alone go "all-in") for someone we'll lose after just a few months.

Boyd, glad someone else mentions him. I once got hammered for mentioning his name too much, but I love the years control he has remaining, his K and BB numbers, his swing-and-miss stuff (he actually appeared as #4 on the MLB leaders board yesterday on the broadcast), and good numbers overall this season. Crawfish Boxes even had a post about him this morning. His slider looks sharp, too. I was watching a nationally-broadcast game of his last week, and the ESPN guy called his slide "very Chris Sale-esque". I wouldn't go that far, but it is pretty good. I know he doesn't have the "name brand" that Greinke, MadBum, Scherzer, or even Stroman and Wheeler have, nor am I asking he supplant JV as our #1 pitcher but he'd be a great #3 to have for years to come. Also, even last year during the first half, he showed some real signs of breakout by being near the top of the AL in total strikeouts through around this time of the year(before slowing down).

donkeypunch likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The two guys people seem mention most (Stroman and Greinke) really don’t seem to fit Houston’s typical pitching mold. Houston seems to focus on velocity and spin, and those two are finesse ground ballers. Wheeler would make a lot of sense except that he’s a rental. I also don’t think Boyd fits the bill. Syndergaard might be one to watch if he comes back and has a few healthy starts before the deadline. I don’t know if the Reds will shop Sonny Gray but he would seem to make some sense. But the two guys who I like best for now would be Robbie Ray and Steven Matz. Others who I’d think Houston would be interested in who may not be available: Jon Gray, Frankie Montas, Chris Archer, and Andrew Heaney.

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Archer for Martin, Fisher, White and Kemp- who says no? Do the Astros need to add value to that? If so, how much?

I know White and Kemp don't have a ton of value, but Pittsburg is cheap and seems to like them some high floor, low ceiling big leaguer ready guys that make minimum. I just want the 2 roster spots.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Pirates are in a no-win situation with Archer, and I am skeptical they would be willing to even listen on him while his value is so low, especially when there’s a chance they could compete next season (if not this season). They gave up a ton for him so I think someone would have to REALLY love Archer and overpay, and I doubt Luhnow would do that.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  6. HTown2017Champs

This, totally. Next year the Pirates have a solid chance if Archer can turn things around. They are playing pretty decent in a tough division despite a weak rotation (Archer's underperformance and injuries to their two aces). And, their return package isn't even that appealing. Pirates certainly won't want White. No DH in the NL, and they already have a great young 1B in MVP-candidate Josh Bell, who is under control for several more years, and will likely be their new face of the franchise.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I agree completely. And no way to the Astros if traded after the consensus was they got fleeced in the Cole deal. Just day dreaming.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not that it changes your point, but I actually don’t think the Pirates got fleeced. Musgrove has been excellent for them (3.7 fWAR in 193 innings since they got him, he’s currently 40th among all pitchers in fWAR this season), and Moran and Feliz are viable major leaguers even if only supplemental pieces.

No Worries likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

...and he had 1 fantastic year followed by 2 good/ok years with PIT, then went back to fantastic with us last season.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. I didn’t think the haul was as light as many did, but that sure is the consensus.

11. prospecthugger

Something like Fisher, Martes, and Schroeder is actually pretty similar to what they gave up for Archer, but Meadows and Glasnow immediately improved after the trade and makes it look pretty bad.

12. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Just imagining how awesome a Jose Abreu,
    Mad Bum+Smith trade would be....unlikely we would make a move for all those rentals though

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    1B Abreu
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    C Chirinos
    RF Reddick

Bench: Diaz, Stassi, Straw, Tucker

Verlander, Bumgarner, Cole, Miley

Pen: Osuna, Presley, Smith, Peacock, James, Rondon, joe smith, Valdez
    I’d feel extremely confident heading into the playoffs with this

#452 Htown Legend, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I didn't think the value trade would be that different, I still am perplexed as to the timing of the value. I know the Pirates like to play towards the middle and depend on a good year fort he playoffs, but ti would have taken a lot more than good years to make the playoffs the past two seasons.

14. jsingles

jsingles Member

Greinke is crazy underrated (should have 2 CY awards instead of the 1). He's basically Justin Verlander career numbers wise without the overpowering strikeouts. Even has similar career trajectory. Some good years early, mid-career swoon and then greatness over the last several seasons. I'd be completely onboard with a trade for him.

craigharmann and No Worries like this.
  15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Htown Legend and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. htownbball

htownbball Member

If JB Bukauskas can string together some good starts I'd love to trade him. Was never high on him. Package him and Fisher and some supplementary prospects like Arauz and Christian Javier or something and see what we can get.

17. HTown2017Champs

Couldn't agree any more. Injuries aside, he's been having a bunch of ups and downs, and didn't pitch so well today. Some analysts think he's destined for the bullpen and isn't durable enough to start. I don't know enough to have a valid opinion on that, but I have heard that some execs from other teams got the impression that the Astros view him as a trade chip. For example, it was leaked that the Astros weren't willing to trade Whitley, James, or Martin to AZ (for Goldy or Robbie Ray), but did make their offers centered on JBB and/or Cionel. JBB and Fisher should be the first two headliners in a trade deal, preferably for a controllable #3 starter (not quite sure who fits the bill and will be available, though).

Htown Legend likes this.
  18. htownbball

htownbball Member

JBB was reportedly the headliner for a Bryce Harper deal that got nixed by Nats owner at the last minute last year

HTown2017Champs and Htown Legend like this.
  19. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

#460 mikol13, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    BHannes2BHonest and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.