1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Morey -- make something happen"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jan 6, 2019.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

No D.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Of course not, but he’s 6’8” and can spread the floor. I don’t know why he would leave the Pacers, though. I doubt if the shrimp at Landry’s would entice him. The shrimp at Pappa’s ain’t bad, though. If Austin had a team, I’ll tell him to check out Evangeline’s. Their cocktail sauce is so hot that you need a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.

Bogdan shot 42% from behind the arc after the break.

(Sorry - I’m really getting a hard on for some fried shrimp)

saleem and D-rock like this.
  3. Newlin

Newlin Member

And if Morey had not traded for Paul, and he couldn't find another star to pair with Harden, then he would be getting roasted for wasting Harden's prime years. It's so easy to be critical now. I'm sure Morey discussed trading for Paul with Les and with Harden. I'm sure both were happy with the trade. The contract was agreed upon before the trade was ever made. They had an understanding. If the Rockets had won a championship the past two years, I'm sure people wouldn't be complaining.

Trading for Paul and giving him that contract was a gamble. A gamble that everyone involved was willing to take. Things don't always work out the way people want them to. Do you think Celtic fans are happy with Danny Ainge right now? Probably not.

Do you really want a GM that never makes a bold move? A GM that is forever waiting and is always afraid to go all in?

I think Morey, Les, and Harden knew that the window to win a championship with Paul was going to be pretty short lived. But, they were OK with that. The gamble didn't pay off. But, I don't really have a problem that they went for it. All teams have ups and downs. The Rockets have been a legit contender the past couple of years. Now, we may have some down years. That's the way it works in the NBA.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Too bad for us. My initial feeling was a contract of 10 M, with a meagre chance of acquiring him because of MDA's system.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14 million is the new 7 million.

topfive and saleem like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Excellent post. People always look *after the fact* to reverse engineer the narrative.

They made the right decision going after CP3. And I still think good things could be ahead.

topfive, YOLO, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I appreciate the presentation:

8. ak99999

ak99999 Member

Picture looks like dwight schrute from the office!

9. Game7

Game7 Member

Yesterday it was the Jimmy Buckets/Pizza thread and now this! Clutchfans is where I go to decide what I am eating for dinner in the offseason!

tmoney1101, D-rock and saleem like this.
  10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

The mistake that killed this team was Ryno. It cost us 2 championships! Morey MAYBE has one last fading chance to do something about it. We are taking about Butler because just about everything is riding on it and it never should have been this way. We need to use the Shumpert contract, every 1st, and all of those trade exceptions if we have to along with TPMLE to give this team a chance or we will watch the same show over and over again. All other scenarios involve hoping that dumping some combination of Capela, EGo, Tucker, and CP3 will lead to salvation. It basically takes a rabbit out of the hat move or we go backwards. Obviously my faith is not strong after the deadline debacle. Morey always thought there was a tomorrow. That bill is due now.

pippendagimp likes this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

rocketgirl -- the one highlight of every disappointing season. she's always there in attendence w/ the other rowdies and seemingly smiling nonstop

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Les knew trading for cp3 would increase the value of the franchise so he can sell right away and run away with the money.

He knew the 33 year old injury prone former allstar entering the twilight of his career can't play more than 70 reg season games nor more than 35 mins a game nor 16 games in the playoffs let alone be enough to beat a 4 star warriors team.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Right decision to trade for paul but gave up too much

Then wrong decision to give cp3 a 4 yr max

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Spencer Tillman? Getting warmer....

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The trade was contingent on the 4yr max. You can't separate them.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Congrats to Morey on getting one third place vote for EOY!

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Throwing shade at him being a top 5 GM?

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Remember Asik and Destroy?