1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some fun Astros numbers through June 11, 2019

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nero, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Nero

Nero Member

46 - Most wins in MLB (one ahead of LAD)
    22 - Second fewest losses (one behind Minn, one ahead of LAD)
    46-22 - Best record through 68 games in team history (according to the announcers last night)
    .676 - 2nd best winning percentage in MLB (*slightly* behind Minn at .677, but Minn has played 3 fewer games at 44-21)
    25 - Most home wins (Tied with LAD)
    21 - 3rd most Road Wins (behind Minn 24 & TB 23)

But here is the number which blows me away:

29 - wins against teams over .500

Only five teams in ALL OF MLB have a winning record against +.500 teams:

Minn: 13-12
    ATL: 17-16
    TB: 20-17
    LAD: 20-17

ASTROS: 29-17

That is just crazy. AND they are doing this with Altuve, Springer & Correa all on the shelf??

The Astros have 46 wins, and 29 of them have come against the best teams in MLB.

46 of their 68 games have come against +.500 teams. And oh yeah, 17-5 vs everyone else.

The Astros would be on a pace to win 103 games this season, even if they continued to face +.500 teams in two-thirds of their games. However, if you factor in the winning percentage against -.500 teams, you would max out at 118 wins! LOL. Maybe just split the difference - this teams is *probably* headed for 110 or 111 wins, barring any kind of disaster they can't overcome.

I don't know how it will break down over the second half of the season, but I cannot imagine that this doesn't come back to the norm, and by that I mean, it doesn't seem plausible that the Astros' opponents can continue to be +.500 two-thirds of the time. In other words, it seems logical that over the second half of the season, the schedule, the Astros OUGHT to be facing a much larger percentage of bottom-feeders, which should push the projected win total into the 110 range.

Throw in the factor that teams tend to go into 'tank mode' and start dumping assets for prospects, and the Astros more than likely pick up another good starter and maybe some position insurance.. and it all just starts looking like the 'perfect storm' to me. Yes, it is highly likely that this team is going to be even better in the second half.

It's just insane what this team is doing this year, and it would be insane even with our three big guns IN the lineup. But doing all this with them not even in there? Holy cow.

I guess all I am trying to say is, it's a good time to be an Astros fan.. :D

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It will almost certainly never be better than it is now.

Houston has a chance to break the all time single season wins record.

What’s insane is that depending on which pitcher they acquire and how Tucker, Alvarez, and Whitley pan out, the Astros could potentially be even better next season.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No team has ever had 4 consecutive 100 win season, only a handful have had 3 straight. Don't want to put the cart before the horse, but it's a very real possibility for this club.

Aside from the Yankees whose history is frankly on a different tier, this group will be right near the top if we win another title. It's very much a legendary group we are witnessing.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros Strength of Schedule remaining is 0.49. Astros SOS season-to-date is 0.52. When Correa got hurt, the Astros SOS for the season-to-date at that point was 0.54. SOS since Correa's last game, 0.45.

I know I wasn't worried about Astros struggling when Correa went down because of the upcoming teams (and most of the good teams lining up against JV/Peacock/Cole), but schedule should be becoming more average soon. Astros will likely need to get a little more thunder back to keep up this pace.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It's a good thing we've got a lot more thunder coming.

I sort of see 500 ball between now and the end of June with us dropping 3 of 4 to the Yanks (predicting still a mash unit), and then getting totally healthy after that road trip is over on the next home stand.

6. Nero

Nero Member

Even more impressive: This year's team started the season 2 - 5.

Since then, they have gone 44 - 17.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. SemisolidSnake

This is the one that blows me away. It wouldn't stand out to anyone outside of Astros fandom. Their struggles at home last year, though, were positively bizarre. They still had a winning record, but their home winning percentage was way below a huge chunk of the league, even relatively-average teams. I was wracking my brain trying to come up for a reason for it and was worried about it happening again this season, and, BOOM, best home record.

It feels like when I took my laptop in to the repair shop the other day. Out of the blue, it was consistently beeping loudly and shutting off and it looked like there was something drastically wrong. I get to the shop, and it's working perfectly, has been since, and the tech and I couldn't come up with any sort of reason whatsoever why any of this would have happened.