1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yordan Alvarez (finally) called up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

CF Springer
    2B Altuve
    3B. Bregman
    SS Correa
    LF Brantley
    DH Alvarez
    1B. Gurriel
    RF. Reddick
    C. Chirinos

solid, astros123, the shark and 2 others like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pos Player 2019 OPS
    CF Springer 1032
    LF Brantley 886
    3B Bregman 943
    2B Altuve 801
    DH Alvarez 1185*
    SS Correa 907
    RF Tucker 954*
    C Chirinos 903
    1B Reddick 807

*AAA

That’s a ****ing ridiculous lineup.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Prior to Alvarez you have to go all the way back to Derek Fisher in 2017.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

CF George Springer
    2B Jose Altuve
    3B Alex Bregman
    1B Michael Brantley
    DH Yordan Alvarez
    SS Carlos Correa
    LF Kyle Tucker
    RF Josh Reddick
    C Robinson Chirinos

5. Nero

Nero Member

I'm not ready yet to toss aside Guriel for Tucker. Maybe if Tucker finally starts to deliver on at least some of the hype, but as it stands, Guriel is one of the best clutch hitters in the game, an absolute Pro, and Tucker has done nothing but underwhelm. Hopefully he finally blossoms for US and not some other team.

Handles likes this.
  6. bobrek

In this season, what are you using to define Yuli as "one of the best clutch hitters in the league"? He is performing miserably with 2 outs and runners in scoring position (.611 OPS) and only slightly better with less than 2 outs and runners in scoring position (.613). I like Yuli, but he is not performing well offensively this season and his WAR is negative - at least on the ESPN and baseball reference stats page. His ops+ is 76.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure who loses PAs/ gets traded to get Tucker into games. I don't think it will be Gurriel as I expect he loses PAs to Diaz once DIaz comes back.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Gurriel has been hitting the ball hard lately. I think he is coming around. I don't think the Astros will dump him for an untested rookie. If Alvarez sticks and you carry 13 pitchers, like Hinch wants, there is no room for Tucker when everybody gets back. They'll bring him up at some point, but unless there is an injury, I don't think he is on the playoff roster.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The playoff roster (at least in the first round) is almost guaranteed to have 14 position players and 11 pitchers. Miles Straw is almost certainly guaranteed to have one of those spots. If I had to guess it shakes out like this:

Chirinos
    Stassi- Over Stubbs b/c I think they'd prefer his defense if it comes down to it
    Yuli
    Altuve
    Correa
    Bregman
    Diaz
    Alvarez
    Springer
    Brantley
    Reddick
    Tucker- PH for Yuli or Chrinos in the late innings if you need some pop- or maybe supplants Reddick if he comes up and his awesome
    Straw- Late inning baserunning
    Marisnick- Late inning defense

JV
    Cole
    Deadline Trade
    Wade M

Osuna
    Pressley
    Peacock
    McHugh
    Harris
    James
    Perez/Deadline LOOGY type

If no trades (which would shock me) substitute Devo into the deadline trade/bullpen depth piece and Peacock likely gets the start in Game 3. I think getting a number 3 though solves the bullpen problem (as does the sprint nature of the post season where you can go with 11 arms.

That's basically a perfectly constructed roster, other than Yuli at 1b- which is leaving money on the table. I can't believe we'd trade for another 1b without sending him out in the deal. Encarnacion for Yuli sounds good to me. We upgrade and Seattle gets a more trade able contract. We have to attach a 45 grade prospect or 2 40 grade prospects in the deal.

10. bobrek

I wonder if they'll have Reddick play a bit more 1B.

11. SuraGotMadHops

[​IMG]

jiggadi, everyday eddie and Tomstro like this.
  12. solid

solid Contributing Member

That's one scary roster. If they stay healthy, that is the kind of roster that dynasties are built from.

13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Brantley has never played first in the big leagues and has only played there in 53 games in the minor leagues. I would be very surprised to see him play there this year.

14. plee

plee Member

Need to see if Tucker can do it in the big show (before moving Brantley), last time was not too pretty.

Handles likes this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Agree with this, if they were going to play Brantley at first they would have started giving him some time there already. Here are the players who will see time at 1B for Houston this season (in order, barring a trade):
    Gurriel
    White
    Diaz
    Reddick
    Alvarez

I’m all in on a Gurriel/Reddick 1B platoon (which makes room for Tucker in RF). They’re not going to trade Gurriel or Reddick during the season (clubhouse implications), so that’s pretty much the only way to make room for Tucker.

If everybody is healthy the playoff roster is going to be very interesting.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Our outfield next year should be Alvarez, Springer, tucker

If Brantley is still here, he should get his 500 AB’s playing 4th outfielder/Dh/1b. I could also see us trading Brantley. While the dude can rake, he is a very average player defensively and the Astros have better defensive options in left field. I think the Astros should stick with Yuli as an everyday starter at 1b this year but probably not beyond that.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

So, what is the final verdict on how Yordan's name is pronounced? With a 'J' or a 'Y'? I continue to hear it both ways.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I hear Mike Trout had a not so pretty debut... same with Alex Bregman... same with a **** ton of eventual superstars.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

By all accounts, Yordan is not a better defensive option than Brantley...who I agree is average. Yordan will either be at 1B or DH primarily next season, IMO.

Handles likes this.
  20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Anybody who pronounces it with a "J" is a yahoo. His name is SPELLED with a "Y".